• Thank You
  • -Gave: 882
  • -Received: 1977
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Toshiba 40ZF355D Review
« on: 11 June 2008, 01:45:10 AM »

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Toshiba-40ZF355D/

Completing the recent trio of "Highly Recommended" SPVA-based LCD TVs is the Toshiba REGZA 40ZF355D. Read our review and discuss here :)
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline alyjen

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Toshiba 40ZF355D Review
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2008, 01:03:35 PM »
Thanks for another solid review ;)
My question is, if it has any different electronics from previously reviewed Toshiba Z? You wrote it has no problem with 24p mode while Toshiba Z review contain some info about telecine judder. Till now I thought main difference is SPVA panel (also used in 52" Toshiba Z) and slim design.
Also you've mentioned that it handles motion a bit below average for 100Hz TV while Toshiba Z seems to be better with it. I can understand that IPS panel can beat PVA in that field but is there any difference in electronics?

If you could briefly compare those to (Z and ZF) that would be great ;) I'm especially interested in input lag (if ZF is any faster than Z) and motion handling

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Offline manioso

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
Many Thanks for another informative review.
Could you please post your final calibration settings, including the changes in the service menu.

Offline sleijer

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2008, 08:47:19 AM »
Thanks for the great review! Though, I did buy this TV before it :)

I'm also interested in the calibration that was used in the review. Could you please publish the settings that were used. I have also noticed minor "flashlights" on the top corners of my unit and I would love to know which settings would make them disappear.

Cheers,
sleijer

Offline skaios

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2008, 12:29:49 PM »
I think u r the best! your reviews are excellent!!! Please post the final calibration settings for the Toshiba ZF355 us u ve done with the other hdtvs. Thank u from Greece!

Offline tcd

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
Great review!
I just bought a brand new 40ZF355D and I am interested in your final settings. As you improved image quality and power consumption it would be nice to see how you accomplished this.

Thanks
tcd

Offline mentasm

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
Do the authors ever reply to these posts? I'm curious as to the differences between 24Hz support on this and the Z series you reviewed a while back. In the Z series review you said 24Hz didn't work properly, but this set apparently does. If that's the case, is anything different? I read one review of the Z series that said all the M100 etc was disabled if the set detected a 24Hz source. That doesn't happen on mine. If it happens on this set it's cause to think that maybe there's something wrong with certain Z series sets. maybe it can be fixed by a firmware update? I would really appreciate an answer to this as I still don't know if my Z series is functioning correctly.

Offline manioso

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
Hi,

The one question I would like to ask if there is anyone out there. On the previous Toshiba model to this one you recommended setting "Black Stretch" to on/low for low light settings. I would like to know whether you advocate it for this model as well?
I've noticed when looking at photos on my PS3 that setting it to low shows much more detail in dark pictures I've taken which has got to be a good thing, but, when looking a a pluge pattern it shows the BTB stripe which has got to be a bad thing....mmm confused!