• Global Moderator
  • [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Sony KDL40W2000 Review
« on: 17 April 2007, 01:33:40 PM »

Please discuss the Sony KDL40W2000 review article here.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2007, 12:06:59 AM by Vincent »

Offline Colin

• Global Moderator
  • [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Sony KDL40W2000
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
Sorry...changing times required a massive cull of queries from the main site. I'll try to restore a few questions like below...

David says,

How does it compare with the KDL40X2000, and have you done a review of that model yet please?

Also, is it worth waiting for the D3000 series in your opinion? Basically I'm after a full 1080p hdtv that most importantly must be very clear for use as a 'monitor' with a ps3/pc (I want to be able to read text easily on the screen). My research has led me to the 40" model you reivewed here, the 40" 'X' version of it, and the 40" D3000 that should be out this autumn. What are your thoughts please?

The reason I'm thinking 40" is because that seems to be the smallest you can get a decent quality 1080p set, but if there are smaller ones (down to say 27") then please point me in their direction! And please don't ppl start saying that you need a massive screen to make use of the 1080p, because that's not true at all for what I want to use it for...

Btw I've already decided that I think Sony's 27" 1080p OLED screen is not worth waiting for, unless someone knows something I don't and it's coming out soon? :p

Colin replies:

Although we can't get hold of the X series (there's no cheap stock!!!) we have good reason to believe that there may be some improvements in processing, currently undefined because we haven't done the tests. Also the menu is more `calibration' friendly with the right tools. Word on the street is that you'll be paying more for the classic but stylish look than the improvements on PQ.

It was (or is) the king of the LCD's, both in price and performance. But those days are numbered.

Yes for regular PC use, I would aim for the highest resolution on offer...and maybe upgrade to QuadHDTV  ;D if you are sitting that close.

The D3000 is one interesting TV...looks like Sony is positioning itself for another run at the title of best LCD. HDMI 1.3 (3 I think)...motion interpolation 100 Hz, 24 fps, 10 bit panel...what's not to like? My two cautions are the clouding QC issue and price. Should you wait? I think you must know that TVs are developing like PCs did back in the 90's. You should buy it at the point of need. No point chasing technology.

OLED shows a lot of promise but all reports so far have not been detailed enough to make any informed conclusion. An 11 inch 1024x600 teaser OLED by Sony is on the cards, but frankly you'd be mad to take the bait. Instead watch out IMLED (individual modulated LED) for LCDs and check out Brightside technology for an interesting possibility on where things might be heading.

Offline Altair76

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
1920x1080 with VGA
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2007, 02:32:50 PM »
Could someone give proper instructions on how to get 1920x1080 from laptop with VGA (no HDMI/DVI connector available)? I´ve heard it is possible (not officially supported by SONY though) with Powerstrip but dont know how exatly.

Need fool proof instructions  ;D

Offline David

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, Colin.

It now seems that none of the D3000 series will have 1080 resolution :(  Only the X2550 series (temporary name I believe) will have 1080 res, and that won't be out til late this year and I don't like the look of them (why does everyone seem to want to make shiny screens?!).  I don't want reflections, and I don't want to have to be polioshing it all the time!...

So in conclusion I might wait for reviews of the 40" X2550 (or whatever it gets called) if that looks like it's going to be out any time soon, but otherwise the 40W2000 looks to be just great (though 100hz and 24p would indeed be nice, they are certainly not essential).  I don't need the screen for about another two months, so I'll see how far off the X2550 series is then.

Thanks again.

EDIT: How is this screen for gaming?  Do you know if there is any delay on any of the inputs?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2007, 12:50:01 AM by David »

Offline Colin

• Global Moderator
  • [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2007, 03:47:05 AM »
I know it's a real pain but we can't afford a gaming console for now, although we may be looking at the PS3 soon.

Offline Altair76

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: 1920x1080 with VGA
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2007, 07:12:13 AM »
Could someone give proper instructions on how to get 1920x1080 from laptop with VGA (no HDMI/DVI connector available)? I´ve heard it is possible (not officially supported by SONY though) with Powerstrip but dont know how exatly.

Need fool proof instructions  ;D

So it seems that this is not possible with PC, only X-BOX 360 can take 1920x1080p through VGA. Something to do with sync-on-green(?)...
« Last Edit: 04 May 2007, 08:57:22 AM by Altair76 »

Offline Colin

• Global Moderator
  • [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Check the main thread on KDL40W2000 at www.avforums.com. Ask for Lyris, I think he may be able to help you.

Offline Barrington

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2007, 05:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the info, Colin.

It now seems that none of the D3000 series will have 1080 resolution :(  Only the X2550 series (temporary name I believe) will have 1080 res, and that won't be out til late this year and I don't like the look of them (why does everyone seem to want to make shiny screens?!).  I don't want reflections, and I don't want to have to be polioshing it all the time!...

So in conclusion I might wait for reviews of the 40" X2550 (or whatever it gets called) if that looks like it's going to be out any time soon, but otherwise the 40W2000 looks to be just great (though 100hz and 24p would indeed be nice, they are certainly not essential).  I don't need the screen for about another two months, so I'll see how far off the X2550 series is then.

Thanks again.

EDIT: How is this screen for gaming?  Do you know if there is any delay on any of the inputs?  Thanks.
Sony said that the D3000 should be available in June 2007.

Sony said that the Sony KDL-40W2000 and X series have got a nonreflective coating.

The LCD TV screens shouldn't a track dust at least on the screen.

The Sony D3000 definitely won't have 1080p, which is stupid.

Offline Altair76

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2007, 07:15:36 AM »
Check the main thread on KDL40W2000 at www.avforums.com. Ask for Lyris, I think he may be able to help you.

It can be done!!
http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Sony+TVs

SO: W-serias is able for pixel perfect 1080p picture through VGA also!  :D

Offline NielsR

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2007, 12:17:15 PM »
Hey,

I've been looking at the KDL-40W2000 for some time now. I was planning on buying the X2000, but I don't think the extra 1000€ are "right" (for me and my bank account ;)).

After reading reviews and certainly yours (which is great btw) I've my doubts. I don't want to end up spending 1400€ (I've found a place in Paris which sells these W2000 @ 1400€) and discovering that my LCD suffers from clouding.

That's why I'm wondering if there is any news about the successor of the W2000 yet? My friend recently bought a V2500 and I saw that a X2550 is coming...

Kind regards,
Niels R.

Offline pavi

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2007, 10:14:09 AM »
Successor W3000 is on the way!

Step into a world where high performance meets high style. Step into the world of the BRAVIA W-Series Full HD 1080p LCD TVs. Take all of the performance technology and great features from our V-Series televisions and add five more significant features – x.v.Color, Deep Color, backlit Remote Control, a 3rd HDMI input on the side and brushed metal design. BRAVIA models push picture quality performance beyond the limitations of the Current video sources.

Armed with the powerful BRAVIA Engine Ex Full Digital Video Processor, picture quality has never looked so good. Your eyes will be amazed at the stunning colours and the sharp details of your favourite TV programs thanks to its many image-enhancing features, such as Live Colour Creation, 24p True Cinema and x.v.Color. Connect easily to the large LCD with the convenient HDMI / PC Connectivity function and watch your movies and pictures come to life. Enjoying high definition programming is simple and fun with Sony’s KDL-40W3000 LCD HDTV.

BRAVIA Engine™ Ex Full Digital Video Processor
Sony’s KDL-40W3000 40” BRAVIA LCD HDTV uses the BRAVIA Engine™ Ex Full Digital Video Processor to produce crisp and clear images. The embedded processor is a digital picture enhancement engine that upgrades standard definition to high definition signal, reproducing better texture, improved colour and perfect detail.

Live Color Creation System with WCG-CCFL Backlighting System
Combining carefully chosen components and circuits to optimize system quality, the Live Colour Creation System delivers uncompromised picture quality. Starting with the BRAVIA Engine video processing system, primary colours and half-tones are favourably reproduced while skin tones remain true to its source. Supported by the WCG-CCFL backlighting system and Sony’s specially formulated colour filters, blues are deeper and reds are more radiant.

HDMI™ (High Definition Multimedia Interface) and PC Connectivity
Designed for maximum versatility, Sony LCD TVs are equipped with a comprehensive range of input interfaces. HDMI, the first industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface, supports enhanced or high definition video, together with digital audio to provide spectacular image and sound reproduction. PC connectivity is also accommodated via HDMI, so you can plug into your TV for a better viewing experience.

x.v.Color™
Your HD experience would not be complete without x.v.Color. With a newly approved international colour standard, xvYCC, the colour space has been greatly expanded. x.v.Color reproduces 1.8 times as many natural colours as existing HDTV signals. Make your eyes dazzle with x.v.Color.

24p True Cinema
Watch movies as they were intended to be viewed with 24p True Cinema. Due to limitations of conventional televisions, cinema-produced movies consisting of 24 images per second, cannot be faithfully reproduced, resulting in unnatural, jerky movements. With 24p True Cinema, the 24 progressive images are displayed as they should be, in the same sequence as the original film source. Now, you can recreate the visual clarity of cinema-quality movies in the comfort of your own home.

SOURCE: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003862&navigationPath=n100188

Offline NielsR

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2007, 08:06:47 AM »
Mmm... this sounds very nice :D

Let's hope that this version will be released in the EU soon, because it seems that EU and US/CA are having different models/releases.

I'll wait another couple months befor buying on HDTV, I think... I would love to have a XMB-enabled TV, wich will match my PS3 perfectly :p

Greetings,
Niels R.

Offline Alfred87

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Sony KDL40W2000 Review
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2007, 12:06:57 AM »
Hi i just bought a KDLW2000, i have been playing games on that run perfectly fine with no picture quality loss,however i have played blue ray sources and noticed there is a lot of digital mosquito noise,or you can call them dynamic dots or pixels moving around in the screen,i want to know if this is normal in blue ray sources ,or if there seems to be a problem with my set of eletronics.

Offline Bustedbubble

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
Hi all you Sony KDL40W2000 owners!!
I bought this TV about 10 days ago and wonder if anyone else has detected the following "problem".  I notice that when the sound is muted or on low volume there is a sort of mid range hum coming from the sound system.   Could this be a generic "fault" or is it just my TV.    I find this "hum" really annoying and often find myself listening for it instead of the programme!!

Any comments would be welcome before I contact the retailer.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Offline Oz

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2008, 05:21:46 PM »
Hello,
I purchased the KDL40W2000 in january 2007 and have had a few problems first of which was the clouding issue as discussed previously in this section ..i had this clouding issue resolved when a sony approved engineer updated the software.

Immediately after this upgrade i noticed gradual deteriation of what i could only explain as ghosting this ghosting leaves a trail around the outline of everything on the screen as an example if i watch snooker i see a trail following a moving ball likewise with football and even with slight movement of a person speaking gives the same "ghosting"..this problem is there with terrestrial television,digital and Satellite,when i contacted the sony approved engineer again he told me that this fault seems to be common with this model and nothing furthur could be done..i also phoned sony themselves and they offered no advise or help at all..so my question is has anybody else had this problem ?

Thanks   :)