• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 214
  • -Received: 362
    • View Profile
Philips 42PFL7662D Review
« on: 06 July 2007, 01:57:28 AM »

Please discuss the Philips 42PFL7662D review article in this thread.

Offline pspota

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Philips 42PFL7662D Review
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2007, 04:06:16 PM »
thanks vincent. One review of the brilliant Philips pfl 47 " 9532d serious. Thanks.

Offline Jimboli1

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
I have been waiting for your review on this tv with interest. Especially since the glowing reviews of the two readers who saw it in Currys which nearly resulted in me purchasing the set. Am I glad i waited! Now its back to the Toshiba 42X3030DB or Sharp LC42XD1E although I may wait until the Regza Z series comes out  ;)

Offline scroggy

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2007, 09:41:24 PM »
Hi
Has anyone actually bought this TV and if so, what is the opinion.

I have now seen this TV in around ten different shops and each time the picture looks superb, even with an SD feed. I saw it tonight in John Lewis and it looked better (imho) than the Pioneer 508 that was next to it showing the same HD cricket feed!

Now I appreciate Vincent's test results but is it possible that he had a faulty set to review?

I'll wait for the Toshiba 42Z3030 review but the Philips 7662 is definitely on my short list.

Offline al154

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2007, 05:24:47 PM »
is there any difference between the :-
Philips 42PFL7662D
and the ;-
Philips 42PFL7662D/05 ?
just wondered what the extra "/05" on the end stood for.also , would the review above for the Philips 42PFL7662D be the same for the Philips 42PFL7662D/05 as well ?.

Offline sheebp

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2007, 06:00:42 PM »
I have the Philips 7662 and think the review is a tad harsh. True, the automatic contrast control thing does get annoying (can be turned off), it really isn't bad. Haven't yet tried it with HD, but am going to get PS3 soon and will try it out. Using analogue signal atm (not great but watchable - waiting for freeview) and DVDs which are good.
As I said, I think the review is a bit harsh.

Offline s.t.s

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
is there any difference between the :-
Philips 42PFL7662D
and the ;-
Philips 42PFL7662D/05 ?
just wondered what the extra "/05" on the end stood for.also , would the review above for the Philips 42PFL7662D be the same for the Philips 42PFL7662D/05 as well ?.

I am intrigued to know the difference too ... I have /05 version, just got it last night.

Initial impressions are fairly positive ... I didn't notice the backlight dimming issue but was only watching About a boy on freeview, will test a HD source on it tonight that is a bit more challenging, perhaps Batman Begins.

I have the same issue as Vincent with his review model and the HDMI not saving the "native resolution" setting which is a real PITA as it means the HTPC input over HDMI is larger than the screen space initially so it is stretching it for some reason ... then you turn that setting on and it fits so I guess is doing 1:1 mapping? Just really irritating to have to do it every time I return to the HDMI input.

Offline illtrax

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2007, 12:32:48 PM »
I bought my Philips 42PFL7662D/12 last week and absolutely love it. After some tweaking of settings I got the picture to my liking. The backlight dimming is noticeable and even after turning Contrast+ off, it still dims. I will try to contact phillips to figure this out.

Next month we will have HD service in Istanbul, Turkey so I have not been able to test it yet. But, what I do have is a Philips DVD player with HDMI and it looks f%&#ing awesome. I am a professional file editor/color correctionist and I am very picky about image quality. This TVs picture blew me away with only an SD signal.

The lack of connectivity and contrast dimming is not a huge problem for me considering the price I paid for this full HD TV.

Maybe the extra "/05" or in my case "/12" is a version number?

I will edit my wife's film next week which will be shot in HD. I am eager to see how the TV compares to the HD color correction monitor at the studio.

I highly recommend this TV.

Offline Petuhr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2008, 02:59:02 PM »
I believe the culprit to be Dynamic Contrast Enhancement, which could be switched off from the user menu on the Philips 42PF9831D, but not so on the 42PFL7662D. I have contacted Philips to see if they can shed any light on this matter.

Did Philips shed any light allready how to turn off Dynamic Contrast Enhancement (or dynamic dimming)?
I really hate Philips for not putting this option in the user menu  :-[

I know there is a service menu which can be accessed by typing in a code, but this menu really looks encrypted.
I have a service manual which says someting about turning backlight_dimiming off but I am not sure backlight_dimming is the same as Dynamic Contrast Enhancement. There is also an option Light Sensor which can be turned off. I do not want to mess up my tv so I am not gonna try this out and I am not sure if changing these options will do the trick.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2008, 03:12:11 PM by Petuhr »

Offline Mick

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2009, 10:42:03 AM »
 ???
I have just bought this television but am having trouble with the headphone output.  My headphones are within the Philips quoted range of 8-4000ohms @30ohms.  The volume from the headphones is markedly lower than the television output.  To get a reaonable volume on the headphones you have to turn the television up to nearly max volume which totally deafens anyone in the room.  Whilst you can turn the TV speakers off when you turn them back on to reduces the volume you are again deafened until the volume is reduced.  Is there any way of making this headphone output more in line with the TV output?