Offline humps

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer PDP4280XD Review
« Reply #60 on: 08 April 2008, 02:41:41 PM »

The short answer is no. I was as surprised how good it is. I've got PS3 and Devil May Cry 4 looks amazing, will be trying GT5p tonight. There is slight over scanning as it would but I think setting it in [Game] mode reduces it. Most obvious when the Wii is on 480i, but almost no over-scan after changing to 480p.

I'm also glad to share my experience on resolution, mostly via PC as I have more control.

I hooked up my laptop via the PC connector (not HDMI). The mac instantly detected 1360x768@60Hz which is the correct resolution on the 4280xd. However, this leaves a small 1inch black bar on both sides. I adjusted the [Clock] via the TV and it is much better, I'm sure I can adjust the mac to make it fill with DisplayControlX. I also switched to 1024x768 which it filled perfectly with a stretched picture. Here is short analysis, browsing bbc news, soccernet on Safari and both resolutions gave totally readable text, with minimal scaling artifacts on the text under 1360. I was very very impressed by the scaling. It seems the Pio utilises the individual RGB pixels, much like morden anti-alias using the sub-pixels to boost the res. I have no problem using it as a monitor at 1360x768.

It is another distance vs res thing. My friend sits 1.7m from his samsung, of course there is significant difference when he complains PS3 games are mostly 720p vs his xbox' 1080p Ridge Racer. I sit so far away at home, 1080p on 42" is not useful, neither will 1080 PC connection be of any practical use at this sort of distance. On the PC test, I'm convinced unless you want to pick out single pixel at exactly x,y on the screen, running 720p signal is not a problem. In fact, why listen to me? take your laptop and a cable, walk into a shop and try it!

Offline tomazaz

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 30 April 2008, 09:44:53 AM »
I would like to get Pioneer PDP4280XD for gaming(PS3) and BR movies, but this TV do not support highest resolution 1920 x 1080, does it matter?

Offline Cubester

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30 April 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
I don't mean to be rude, but Humps just said everything about that resolution.
Read his post first.

Offline docu

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
Could it be possible to get the calibrated settings please?

Offline matt_b

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
I'd second that if available. Just ordered one and be nice to have some settings to try -- after looking in the menu at the shop it could be fun setting it up.