• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 187
  • -Received: 337
    • View Profile
Samsung PS50P96FDX Review
« on: 26 July 2007, 10:00:48 PM »

Please discuss the Samsung PS50P96FDX review in this thread.

Offline PatHou

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung PS50P96FDX Review
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
Thanks for this superb review!

Even without updating the firmware on the PS3 to 1.90, the Samsung PS50P96FDX (which was loaded with firmware 1005) accepted 1080p/24 Blu-ray signal from the PS3 without any fuss. Now I'm not entirely sure of the rate at which the PS50P96FDX screen refreshes, but what I can say is that judder was significantly reduced, judging from the overhead panning shots during the violent bank heist opening sequence. Unfortunately these slow pans again highlighted the relatively inadequate motion processing on the Samsung PS50P96FDX... it simply exhibited more image detail loss during motion and panning than both the Pioneer PDP4280XD and Panasonic TH42PH9.

Judder significantly reduced due to Movie Plus?  :o
More image detail loss during motion and panning due to Movie Plus?  :o

"Movie Plus - eliminates motion judder by unserting additional frames for a smoother image."
http://www.marshallward.co.uk/rf/mar/navigation/product.do?categoryId=6676658&spreadId=6824216&linkId=6824233

"Samsungís Movie Plus imaging engine creates fast action images without the judder often experienced with LCD TVís. By calculating the incoming source, and interpolating the additional images required for 24, 25 or 30 frame per second movies, Movie Plus creates new images that eliminate the judder effect"
http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdtv/la32r81bd.asp

"Conventional LCD TVs are plagued by motion judder when showing fast moving action in movies and sporting events. The moving person or object looks shaky or blurred, like a series of still images, instead of a smooth moving picture. Samsung's exclusive Movie Plus completely eliminates this judder, presenting smooth action, no matter how fast it is going"
http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/printpage/le40n86bdxxec_print.htm

If it is the case, could you deactivate Movie Plus?  ::)
Without Movie Plus, I am wondering what is its refresh rate.
60Hz with judder when receiving a 1080p24 signal from the PS3?  ::)

Offline Phantoma

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2007, 08:51:17 PM »
Thanks Vincent ,
Quote from: Vincent
CONS
> Internal Freeview tuner stuttering
> Noticeable dynamic false contouring especially with poor source
> More motion blurring compared to top-tier plasmas

A pretty decent plasma but I wouldn't be happy with this panel because of the motion blurring.
The Freeview stuttering from the internal tuner wouldn't worry me because I would be using a Topfield 7000 HD pvr anyway. :)
Samsung PS58C7000 plasma, Samsung BD-C5900, Tvix PVR R-2230, Xbox 360 slim 250GB.

Offline Drakon Rider

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2007, 10:02:30 PM »
i see you use HCFR for color testing... can you also test a brightness response of the panel with full-screen 100% white and small 100% white rectangle to see if it any close to the 1000 cd/m^2 as specifications noted...

for example i own samsung PS-42C91H panel and it only capable to show about 200 cd/m^2 with full-screen white and up to about 380 cd/m^2 on small white rectangle (about 100x60 mm sized)... i used SpyderII express sensor and HCFR software for tests...

so i enough confused with so bad results of the panel rated to 1500 cd/m^2 'peak brightness' :( ... and i interest to know if all samsung panels are so bad or only my poor cheap case...

also it is intresting to see lowest 'dark/black' brightness of the panel to know how it looks in total darkness - it is simple 'black' measuring in same HCFR software... my panel has about 0.1 cd/m^2 total black (lowest) brightness, so contrast to small white spots is not extremrely bad (about 3800:1)... but if it has specified white brightness of 1500 cd/m^2 we could finally test a specified contrast of 15000:1 ...

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 187
  • -Received: 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2007, 03:36:22 AM »
Hi

Samsung have taken the PS50P96FDX review sample back to their labs.

What you're describing is normal for plasma panels: luminance of window patterns is always higher than luminance of full-screen patterns because of the incorporated power limiter to prevent excessive surges.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline Drakon Rider

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2007, 08:21:58 PM »
do you plan to test and show results of plasma panel brightness or it is impossible for some reasons ?

russian samsung.ru support closes my support request thread on a forum for a measuring procedure and a _definition_ of specified N cd/m^2 brightness with a reason it is NON-PUBLIC information for authorized Samsung service centers only... i will try to ask an international Samsung support though...

may be you as tester is also limited with some sort of NDA for public brightness measures ?

i have search internet for brightness measures of plasma panels and found nothing in contrast to white and black brightness measuring for LCD devices in most reviews - can not understand what is going...

Offline frankfurter0077

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
Hi

I own a Panasonic TH42PX60CAB, but are looking to upgrade before I go to South Africa, as I want to take the TV abroad. I've read varies reviews and are know stuck between the Panasonic TH50PX70 and the Samsung PS50P96FD.

Want to use for: Toshiba HD-DVD player
                        XBOX 360
                        Standard Definition**

Not use for: PC
                 Freeview
                 PS3

The only problem I might have with the sammy is the noise and with panny the resolution.

Please can you advise me on what you think would work best with my needs and also if the tv would work in South Africa, very important of course.

Thx

Offline halpern57

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
Please please! could any of you boffins on this site tell me how well the Panasonic th50pz7ob compares to the Samsung ps50p96fdx. In short which is the better telly of the two. I am fairly sold on the Samsung but I would really appreciate any feed back re this question
 regards Sue

Offline mocca

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2008, 08:22:05 PM »
Hi Vincent,

I have an urgent question regarding the P96.

You, as do almost all dealers, state that the PS50-P96 is 18bit with 262.000 shades of grey.

All the european Samsung websites however state it is only 12bit and 4096 shades of grey.

I find this very confusing and would really love to know which information is correct before buying into a new plasma.

p.s.: any information on when or if you will be reviewing the PS50-A557 line?