• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 150
  • -Received: 305
    • View Profile
Samsung LE40M86BD Review
« on: 09 April 2007, 08:00:47 PM »

Please discuss the LE40M86BD review article in this thread, including technical questions, personal opinions and price talks.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2007, 12:03:55 AM by Vincent »

Offline ash

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung LE40M86BD
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2007, 11:46:01 PM »
Hiya :) Are you the person reviewing the set? If so can you tell us how reflective the screen is please. I am buying an LCD over plasma due to the reflections on plasma, but your review worries me. How bad is it actually, is the reflectiveness the same as the Panasonic PX70/50PF9?

Thanks
ash

Offline Greenman_UK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2007, 11:52:14 PM »
Excellent stuff so far! Thanks ever so much for getting the first part of the review up so quickly.
You're obviously aware of the level interest in the M86/M87 series.

There's one aspect of these reviews that I'm personalll waiting for, and it will probably be the deciding factor as to whether I'll buy one.
Do all 3 HDMI inputs allow you to set JustScan 1:1 mapping on them?

Also, is the justscan available on the VGA and component inputs? I assume it'd be a certainty ont he VGA input, ut I'm not sure about the component input.

Again, thanks for the service!

Offline Ed

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2007, 02:15:06 PM »
Wonderful to see you've now added forums to this great site!

I'm starting to feel very happy about not purchasing the LE40F71 as this article seems to hint at the new Samsung panel being an absolute stunner!

I'm eagerly awaiting the final part of this review and it would seem Samsung have taken customers complaints about Dynamic Contrast controls not being accessible (except via the service menu) on board and made them available via the normal menus (or so i gather from your screen shots).

One quick question; whats the difference between the LE40M86BD and the LE40M87BD?

Wonderful work Vincent, keep it up! :D
« Last Edit: 10 April 2007, 02:27:58 PM by Ed »

Offline Cifu

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2007, 06:13:09 PM »
One quick question; whats the difference between the LE40M86BD and the LE40M87BD?

May i suggest to read the page news section? ;)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/2007/04/03/samsung-le40m87bd-stock/

According to Samsung, LE40M86BD and LE40M87BD both have the same technical specifications… the only thing different is the styling: the M86 sports a black/blue strip under the panel; and the M87, a silver strip.

The article are very interesting, i hope there are some experience about the connectivity (like to the F71 article ;))

Offline Marley

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
Great review so far....

Had my heart set on the M86

The only thing putting me off at the moment is...... its just sooooo glossy! Take it the M87 is the same?

Offline Barghest

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
Nice review!  Looking forward to the rest of it.

Can you check how well MoviePlus works?  The set, I believe, will accept an 1080p24 signal, but has to process it using MoviePlus.  How well does it work?  Any 'judder' ?

Offline avid

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2007, 01:43:05 AM »
Please discuss the LE40M86BD review article in this thread, including technical questions, personal opinions and price talks.

Hi all,
I have been reading many reviews... credit to this site, this is the first ever reply / contribution. The hands on approach of this site gives a deep understanding and reliable conclusions.

Having searched and researched for the past few months, here is my summary:
1. There is no glove-fits-all given that each of the competing technologies has its own shortcomings.
2. My ultimate trade off contrasts picture quality, cost and connectivity.
3. The cost issue should probably include energy usage and possible maintenance costs [applies to Sony SXRD - see below]
4. 1080p and 1:1 mapping are especially an important quality issue for me given that I am an avid MediaCenter user.
5. I would like a larger set to feel the difference with HD. a 50"+ screen would be ideal, but for a better quality / performance combination I might opt for the 40" option.

I have opted not to go for plasma given the lack of an affordable 1080p model. Plasmas offer close to CRT quality for TV viewing but use most energy and require some care in moving and guarding against burn in issues.

LCD technology always had promise but acceptable performance in terms of contrast and speed is only now coming closer to acceptable levels. The new X-series from Sony is quite expensive and, although much better than earlier models, they are by no means perfect.

Samsung is moving fast to make their panels, which are good enough for Sony, better with improved software and control systems. The latest M-series promises to make up for the many shortfalls of their most recent foray into the 1080p world - which brings me to this review. Until very recently, I had my eyes set on a third alternative: that of Sony's SXRD. While most people are afraid of an apparent step back into rear projection, this set at 55" and now going for close to 1100 pounds on the web, offers incredible value. This is taking into account the fact that this set has plasma-like black level performance as well as 2.5 seconds response rates. The set further improves on standard LCD technology by having virtually no screen-door effect. When watching it with a good source it is like having the material printed on a high quality poster! But I am willing to give the new Samsung a go if the review confirms that they have solved their problems and now have a winner! The final decision would be balanced by the fact the the SXRD at 55" offers nearly 90% more screen area. This might be of interest to some so here is a brief discussion of size and how sets compare:

1. The simple formula to compare two screen sizes from the quoted diagonal size is to divide the square value for each size so: 55^2 / 40^2 = 1.89.
2. This might offer a way to see how manufacturers charger for the extra screen 'acreage'. Bear in mind that actual costs of manufacture are probably not linear with size and that, ultimately, marketing strategies and other market factors dictate prices.

For the M-series in full 1080p we compare three sizes: 40, 46 and 52". 46 is 30% bigger than 40 and 52 is 30% bigger than 46 and 70% than 40. Coat wise (quoting the prices from one of the web stockists: 46 is 80% more expensive and 52 is 230% more expensive when both are compared to the base 40" model. but the 52 is only 30% more expensive than the 46 - same ratio as their screen area! To make this simpler, and given that all the sets have 1080p resolution, below is the price per square inch of screen (full area formula is approximately 0.396*s^2 where s is the screen diagonal length quoted typically):

1. Samsung M86/87 series: 40" = £1.80; 46" = £2.48; 52" = £2.50
2. Sony SXRD (KDSA2000) 55" = £0.92

I know that the Sony is thicker and cannot be hung on walls. It also requires a lamp replacement after about 8000 hours of usage. It does use less electricity than both plasma and standard LCD sets however. The viewing angle is the smallest compared to both plasmas and good LCDs - although much improved from earlier projection technologies.
Before many of you jump on these points with criticisms, this is only a discussion based on my own trade offs. Absolute numbers in each of these categories would vary by person. For those who have been researching the issue, I am certain you have already made your mind up on which technology you would go for. For many the physical size is also affected by the room size and personal decor preferences.  One day soon new technologies would give us a great trade off at an affordable price - some of you might have heard about things like SED, laser projetion, ... but even your bog standard LCD and plasma are heading for better processing power to provide higher bit rates for colour and sound, etc. This M series Samsung is one of the earlier models to have HDMI 1.3 to allow for such inputs [Vincent: could you touch on this issue in your review - I know that there are probably not many sources out there to offer higher bandwidth , PS3 might be the exception. But does this set offer better bit rate processing and does it show in picture quality etc] In the mean time, it is a joy to have such a forum and excellent feedback on new sets to help one enjoy a new TV for a few years to come. It is certainly fun to find out which one fits best.

Thank you Vincent and all.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2007, 01:23:14 PM by avid »

Offline Gmac

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2007, 05:54:14 PM »
Hi I have recently purchased a Samsung LE40M86BD and am quite impressed my only complaint is a slight motion shadow on ordinary tv or sky. On xbox 360, dvd, wii it performs well i am in the process of upgrading to sky hd and cannot wait to see the results.
Is it possible to post the optimum settings for contrast brightness etc to get the most out of this tv
Thanks  ;D

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 150
  • -Received: 305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2007, 09:43:17 PM »
Hi everyone

Thanks for joining and posting in this forum. I'm sorry I don't have time to answer all your questions individually, but rest assured I've taken them into account and will try to answer them in the remainder of the review which I'm trying to complete as soon as possible.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline fordgt40

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2007, 03:11:34 AM »
hi, i have been browsing this site for a couple of days now, and im glad, im very green when it comes to tvs, i had my eye on a samsung 40", but was confused by all the different specs, (not much clearer now!) however this simple easy review has made my mind up to go for the samsung m86 series. i would like to know, if possiable, the best settings for optimum performance, using sky hd box, i have no consoles as such, but do watch a hell of a lot movies, and rugby leauge, as such if any knows of a reason not to buy this set based on theese 2 main factors (judder) please inform me,(ordering set off dixons on saturday). also, would i be better putting the sound through a cinema system or does the set handle sound acceptably? angain anyone who has a set allready please inform that it is as good as i hope it is.

thanks again for the start of a great review of what i hope will soon be my new t.v.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2007, 03:13:44 AM by fordgt40 »

Offline Phantoma

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2007, 07:44:03 AM »
Looking forward to the rest of the Review Vincent.  :)

This Samsung is one of two panels i have in mind.  The other one is the new Panasonic 1920x1080 plasma.
I think this Samsung LCD will be better priced though than the new Pana 1920x1080 plasmas.

The value to me of a review like this is that i'm not certain of what important features to look out for when comparing panels, but i'm getting there with the help of sites like this one.
Samsung PS58C7000 plasma, Samsung BD-C5900, Tvix PVR R-2230, Xbox 360 slim 250GB.

Offline DSE

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2007, 02:26:53 PM »
Come on give us the rest  ;D

Can we have idea of when the rest of review will be made available, please ?

Thankyou.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2007, 02:43:57 PM by DSE »

Offline avid

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
Come on give us the rest  ;D

Can we have idea of when the rest of review will be made available, please ?

Thankyou.

... all of us are eager to see the rest of this review ... but it is worth noting that:
  • this will be much sooner than any other [proper] review on the net whenever it comes
    and this is, as always, a fresh an honest review, not one where a big name portal is driven by official data and other pressures!

Many thanks to Vincent in advance ... good things do come to those who wait  ::)
Cheers.

Offline DSE

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2007, 07:51:21 PM »
You are right ... I have the cash (been saving for a bit) and was all ready to buy last weekend the previous Sammy, I then saw this parital review (after reading the other excellent articles) and decided to wait.  I just really want to know if its any better than the F71.

Cheers and no problems waiting  :)