• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 182
  • -Received: 334
    • View Profile
Samsung LE52M87BDX Review
« on: 09 August 2007, 02:28:46 PM »

Please discuss Andrew's Samsung LE52M87BDX review article in this thread.

Offline Jimboli1

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung LE52M87BDX Review
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Congrats Andrew for your first review it was very "nice" ;D

Do you think the issues you raised in your review will be present in the 40" version? or will you be doing a separate review of the LE40M87BDX?

Regards,

Jimboli1

Offline yemeth

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2007, 10:05:05 PM »

Do you think the issues you raised in your review will be present in the 40" version? or will you be doing a separate review of the LE40M87BDX?

I dont think Andrew will bother making a review of the LE40M87BDX because a review of the LE40M86BD already exists at HDTVtest right here;D ;D ;D

They are technically the SAME TV, but with a minor cosmetic difference, LE40M87BDX has a chrome strip at the bottom whereas the LE40M86BD has a black strip at the bottom of the TV.

Great review Andrew, it had a welcome, down to earth feeling to it.  :)

Offline Jimboli1

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2007, 10:42:08 PM »
Hmm i thought that too Yemeth but theres such a big difference in the reviews between the LE40M86 and LE52M87... ???

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 182
  • -Received: 334
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
^^

Hi Jimboli

Size does make a difference. On a larger LCD panel, screen uniformity is more difficult to maintain, and assuming the same level of video processing (there's no indication that Samsung has incorporated a more powerful version on the 52M87BD), the bigger the screen, the more obvious the artifacts.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline pavi

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
I was surprised to see the difference between the reviews for LE40M86BD amd LE52M87BD with regards to the firmware bug issue. So is it really so that these two are entirely different models altogether?

Offline Klemen

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2007, 07:44:52 AM »
Hi Vincent,

I wrote to you by e-mail but I didn't get no reply. What didi you mean by:

RGB: Another problem I have found with the set, is that it does not appear to handle RGB very well at all, and I suspect that it might even be converting to S-Video internally, and doing a bad job of it. There were some very noticeable Y/C delay issues, with green/magenta separation at the edges of objects. There also seemed to be some faint "interference" resembling "hum bars" scrolling up the screen on large blocks of colour.

Is RGB connection VGA connector or something else? And also what is the difference between M86 (got HDTV recommendation) and M87 (doesn't have recom.) series And is HDMI better than Component on this TV or on any other for that matter?

So Sharp XD1E has a better responce time of 6ms but is the upscaller better?

Sorry for so many questions but I have very specific needs for my TV. It must handle computer and component signal (VGA) very well, becouse my A/V receiver has only component I/O.  :'(

Thank you

Offline steven.jhons88

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2009, 06:06:37 PM »
Setup of the LE52M87BDX is nice and easy. The top half of the box just lifts off, and the stand is already attached. Due to the sheer size of this display, you will need two people to move it, but it's nice and light despite the size.As with most of Samsung's displays now, the LE52M87BDX is very, very shiny. The frame is glossy black, the stand is glossy black, and even the back of the television has this finish. It uses Samsung's latest Super Clear panel, which is very reflective when the set is turned off. There isn't a boxy part to this television, with gentle curves and bevelled edges everywhere. In typical Samsung fashion, the power button is right in the centre, which adds some nice cheap cheap web hosting symmetry to the look of the TV. If you are worried about dust or marks, this is not the television for you. As this is was a review sample that has been to various other places before getting to me, it had picked up plenty of dust, fingerprints, and minor scuffs on the frame. You will find the exact same inputs on the LE52M87BDX as all Samsungs from this range - two HDMI 1.3 inputs (one of which has RCA audio connectors as well) two SCART sockets - with only one accepting RGB, component and VGA. While the VGA connector can apparently domain names accept 1920x1080, the highest I was able to send it from my Xbox 360 was 1280x768, so I was unable to get full 1080p from HD DVDs with it, However I believe this is due to the fact that it is a review sample that has an old firmware version. On the left, there are your standard composite/s-video connections, and the third HDMI input. Down the right hand side there are manual controls for the television, though I doubt many people will be making use of these. The menus on the Samsung LE52M87BDX are quite well laid-out, with the standard picture settings visible on the first page, and the advanced settings hidden in the "detailed settings" menu. There is plenty to adjust here - far more than the average user will want, but it's great for anyone that wants to properly calibrate their display. It doesn't have everything you need to get a perfect calibration, but far exceeds what most televisions offer. While the menus are transparent, they are quite large, and right in the middle of the screen, which means that you have to keep closing the menus to see what your adjustments look like. Disappointingly, while they are fairly simple looking, the menus can be quite unresponsive at times, which is frustrating when trying to calibrate the screen, as it has you going two or three "pages" deep when adjusting the white balance, and they close fairly quickly if they don't receive an input, so this slowed down the process considerably. There are three presets available dedicated server for settings - Dynamic, Standard and Movie though some options are locked out in the Dynamic and Standard modes. Additionally, enabling xvYCC and the Game mode store their own settings as well, and all of this is saved on a per-input basis.

Offline steven.jhons88

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2009, 10:56:13 AM »
Samsung's M87 series of LCD TV's is distinguished from the M86 series by a small silver strip at the base of the screen. We think this adds a nice touch to what is already an outstandingly beautiful piece of kit. With its perfectly smooth round edges, the LE52M87 makes most other LCD TVs look like square slabs of plastic. Silver brushed finishes have given way to glossy blacks some time ago, and while the sometimes internet phone service garish effect doesn't appeal to everyone, the LE52M87BDX retains an air of chic sophistication that will bring admiring glances.
Features: Three HDMIs, 2 Scarts, Component, S-video and PC input are complemented by digital merchant account optical port alongside analogue audio output. The LE52M87BDXs biggest selling point is a full HD enabled 1080p screen with a 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution. This enables the panel to map a 1080i source such as Sky TV exactly, pixel for pixel onto the screen with a potentially far superior wireless internet providers picture than an LCD which has to scale 1080i to fit. Samsung has lead an impressive technological charge in recent years, and a host of proprietary technologies are now employed to enhance the capabilities of their LCD panels.