• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 188
  • -Received: 339
    • View Profile
Pioneer PDP-5080XD Review
« on: 10 October 2007, 05:23:26 AM »

Please discuss Andrew's Pioneer PDP-5080XD review in this thread.

Offline Chalky

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer PDP-5080XD Review
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
Just a quick note about the input problems Andrew mentions.

In practice this is not a problem as it is possible to get around this as the 'secondary' input would always be a Scart Lead.

i.e. Input 2 - set to expect a Wii connected via Component.  Also attached is a DVD player via RGB Scart.

If you turn the Wii on the set will display the component input with its unique settings.  Turn the DVD player on and the Scart Detection trips the television into displaying RGB scart with its own associated settings.

This means you can have GAME mode set for component and USER mode for RGB.

Offline andrewfee

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer PDP-5080XD Review
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2007, 01:41:01 AM »
Thanks for that. Unfortunately things didn't work out that way for me - I was making use of all the HDMI inputs, and Component, with my PVR hooked up via SCART.

The PVR is left on 24/7 to avoid wear on the drive from constantly spinning up/down, and because the noise itself is very distracting. As such I had to go into the menus every time I wanted to use the PVR to switch it from HDMI to SCART, and doing this did share the same input settings as HDMI 1.

So as long as you are using devices which will auto-switch properly (some devices always send a signal even when they are "off") and actually turn on/off these devices it may not be an issue. In my setup it was, and seems like an oversight on Pioneer's part. Having extra input buttons, or having you press an input button twice to toggle between them would have made things a lot easier.