• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 188
  • -Received: 339
    • View Profile
Sony KDL40X3500 Review
« on: 06 November 2007, 06:54:07 AM »

Please discuss the Sony KDL40X3500 review in this thread.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline steppi

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sony KDL40X3500 Review
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2007, 08:50:15 AM »
Nice Review , best I have read so far , for this Tv ! ;D

But I dont know if i should pick the new Philips (9732 ) or this one..... that will be a hard decision.

Thanks Vincent  :D

Offline PluspaK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2007, 11:24:51 AM »
Nice review !!
I have bought that LCD 2 months ago and still enchanted !!

But the most difficult part is the settings ....
wow, it is really hard to setup this TV in all sources ...

That's why i was wondering if we could have the best settings in HD and SD set by the calibration made in this review ?
that would be very nice for users !!

thank you !

Offline [SkA]

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2007, 12:50:51 PM »
Thanks for a great review Vincent, as always. :)

I just have a quick question - seeming PIP is only available with a VGA source and that I noticed you connected a PC over VGA to it - can you tell me how you'd rate the picture quallity? I understand the picture quality is usually better when using a DVI-HDMI connection to the TV/LCD monitor, but since then one can't use PIP - is the PIP not worth the possible lesser image quality or does one not even notice the loss in quality? Am I better off just using a DVI-HDMI connection and forgetting about PIP? :)
« Last Edit: 06 November 2007, 12:52:29 PM by [SkA] »

Offline Maz2211

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2007, 08:20:40 PM »
Great in depth review Vincent as always!

I have a question, in outright image quality terms, how does it compare with the LED 52" Samsung you recently tested?

The reason for asking is that I am torn between the 46" X3500 Sony and the 52" Sammy. I watch Sky HD, have a Pioneer LX70A BDP and a PS3 which I use mainly for gaming. Given the source components, what would be your choice?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Offline spe

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2007, 11:55:36 PM »
Great review Vincent

One question, did you try different settings for the output res of the sky HD box to determine which upscales SD content better the 40x3500 or the sky HD box? Or to put it another way Sky HD box resolution set to Auto or 1080i?

Simon

Offline anandr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
so vincent, this sony X or the samsung F86? that's my dilemma. having recently review both, what's your pick between the two?

wonderful review, as always.

Offline Vowani

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2007, 02:43:45 AM »
Vincent, could you compare the X3500 to the Samsung F96 please?
What does the Samsung do better than the Sony and vice versa?

Offline el paso

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2007, 11:25:18 AM »
Hi
I am thinking of buying the X3500 based on this review and other commentary.

However - the configuration/settings for different materials would seem to be a real pain.
Can you tell me if there is a memory function so that you can simply save these settings such that if I'm watching standard TV via Sky HD box or Sky HD Footie or Sky HD movie or Blueray movie etc etc I can simply select the variant for the desired configuration??

The bulk of my viewing is regular TV via Sky (HD) box (sport and movies) - so is it worth the sophistication of the X3500?

Thanks for anyone's opinions

Mike

Offline SCOOBY555

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
Have you tried the X3500 with an upscaled DVD or regular DVD ?

It would be nice to include this info and compare W3000, X3500 and Samsung F86 on how they handle upscaled DVD from a player or from a HTPC, as this is what many people will be doing until HD DVD / blu-ray prices drop or one format wins.

Offline spe

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
Hi
I am thinking of buying the X3500 based on this review and other commentary.

However - the configuration/settings for different materials would seem to be a real pain.
Can you tell me if there is a memory function so that you can simply save these settings such that if I'm watching standard TV via Sky HD box or Sky HD Footie or Sky HD movie or Blueray movie etc etc I can simply select the variant for the desired configuration??

The bulk of my viewing is regular TV via Sky (HD) box (sport and movies) - so is it worth the sophistication of the X3500?

Thanks for anyone's opinions

Mike

Mike

I use this set for much the same use as you, the settings are saved for each input but as you need to view different material from the sky hd box, I have set up the relevant HDMI input, in my case AV5 for sky SD content as default using the custom settings. When I want to watch HD or film content from the Sky box I press the "Theatre" button on the Sony remote which switches to Cinema mode and I have this set up for my HD settings (DRC off, full pixel etc)

Simon
« Last Edit: 07 November 2007, 11:15:13 PM by spe »

Offline el paso

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2007, 05:20:01 PM »
Simon
Thanks - it sounds like a thumbs up and you wouldn't advise me to go for something of a lower spec.

Did you invest in a DVD with upscaling or a HD DVD?? Once again I only have standard DVD's just now.

Thanks again

mike

Offline spe

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
Simon
Thanks - it sounds like a thumbs up and you wouldn't advise me to go for something of a lower spec.

Did you invest in a DVD with upscaling or a HD DVD?? Once again I only have standard DVD's just now.

Thanks again

mike
Mike

If you can run to the budget I would get this set. I intend to keep mine for 5 years plus and whilst technology moves on every day this should still be doing a good job in the years to come.

I have not invested in a new dvd yet, came close but could not decide if I just wanted an upscaling player or recorder with or without hdd so for now I am just playing dvds through a playstaion 2!!! and they look amazingly good given the composite output.

The fan noise is noticeable at low volumes, but I can live with this. My Vogel 6345 wall bracket arrived today and I am hoping that once the set is wall mounted the fan noise will be less noticeable.

I am very pleased I made this choice, I had been wishing for a 42" full HD Plasma but reading the review of the panny I think I have made a good decision.

Simon

Offline Biggles

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Great review, thankyou Vincent. Has pretty much convinced me that this is the LCD for us.

What I am wondering is wether to pay the money to Sony and get their 5 year warranty included (my local sony centre have offered a deal on the advertised price) or does one go with one of the deals advertised via pricegrabber that feature in the review. They are all cheaper than the improved Sony price and some of them even offer Sony's 5 year guarantee included free (provide I buy in store). Talking to the Sony man today it is his belief that these sets would be grey imports and would not be covered by Sony's gaurantee if one tried to use it as the serial number would indicate that its not a uk set. Does anyone have any better knowledge of these things than I do and more importantly how have others found the reliability of Sony LCD's to be ie does one really need the extra cover. Also if these cheaper sets really are all grey imports how does one stand with the 1 year cover? Are there any questions or checks I should make before buying from one of these cheaper providers or am I just worrying too much beacause I'm spending a lot of money on this item?

All advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks     Biggles

Offline spe

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2007, 07:53:20 PM »
Great review, thankyou Vincent. Has pretty much convinced me that this is the LCD for us.

What I am wondering is wether to pay the money to Sony and get their 5 year warranty included (my local sony centre have offered a deal on the advertised price) or does one go with one of the deals advertised via pricegrabber that feature in the review. They are all cheaper than the improved Sony price and some of them even offer Sony's 5 year guarantee included free (provide I buy in store). Talking to the Sony man today it is his belief that these sets would be grey imports and would not be covered by Sony's gaurantee if one tried to use it as the serial number would indicate that its not a uk set. Does anyone have any better knowledge of these things than I do and more importantly how have others found the reliability of Sony LCD's to be ie does one really need the extra cover. Also if these cheaper sets really are all grey imports how does one stand with the 1 year cover? Are there any questions or checks I should make before buying from one of these cheaper providers or am I just worrying too much beacause I'm spending a lot of money on this item?

All advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks     Biggles

You would need to check with individual retailers, I think most are UK sets. I bought mine from Circuit Citi 1699 incl Domestic and General 5year warramty and delivery. It s a UK set, the instructions are for the UK market only and the power lead has a 13 amp plug not a European one. I have also been into Hiway hi-fi on the Edgeware Rd and seen the delivery schedule which was on Sony UK paper showing despatch dates from Weybridge. They will do it at 1635 incl the Sony/D&G warranty and delivery, their web site shows a much higher price but others have bought at 1635/1660/1699 from them So unless your Sony centre can get close to those prices I would shop around. Check out AV Forums for more info