• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 190
  • -Received: 339
    • View Profile
Pioneer PDP-LX508D Review
« on: 01 December 2007, 05:41:47 PM »

Please discuss the Pioneer PDP-LX508D review in this thread.

Offline MeMota

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer PDP-LX508D Review
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
Hi, great review.

Any chance of posting your complete settings please?

Ta

Offline Plasmatron

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
Hi,There are my LX508 settings:

My LX  SETTINGS for:SD DVD, Digital cable channels for dark room:

1. For  SD DVD : & BD-HDDVD:

AV SELECTION ***MOVIE***

Colour Space 2

CONTRAST:         20-25
BRIGHTNESS:       +2                 
COLOUR:             +10 (COLOUR SPACE:  2)  or  -6 (COLOUR SPACE:  1)
TINT:                   0                     
SHARPNESS:        -5

PRO ADJUST: > PURE CINEMA

For PAL DVD:       -Standard and  Drive mode 1
For NTSC DVD:     -Advanced and Drive mode 3
For BlueRay:        -Advanced and Drive mode 3

TEXT OPTIMIZATION:
OFF

INTELIGENT MODE:
OFF

PICTURE DETAIL:

DRE:  Off or Low

BLACK LEVEL : OFF

ACL: OFF

ENHANCER MODE:   1

GAMMA:   3

COLOUR DETAIL:

COLOUR TEMP:  Mid-Low

CTI: OFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT:
R    0
Y    0
G    0
C    0
B    0
M   0

COLOUR SPACE:  2

NOISE REDUCTION:
All -OFF

OTHERS:

IP MODE:   2

DRIVE MODE:

1 for DVD
2 for TV
3 for NTSC DVD

ORBITER:
ON

SIDE MASK DETECTOR:
ON

SIDE MASK COLOR:
AUTO

Power Save Mode:
Off

1. For Digital cable channels:  RGB input

AV SELECTION ***USER***

CONTRAST:      15-20
BRIGHTNESS:    +1
TINT:               0
SHARPNESS:     -5

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA OFF

TEXT OPTIMIZATION:
OFF

INTELIGENT MODE:
OFF

PICTURE DETAIL:

DRE:  Low

BLACK LEVEL:
OFF

ACL:
OFF

ENHANCER MODE   1

GAMMA   3

COLOUR DETAIL:

COLOUR TEMP:  Mid-Low

CTI OFF
COLOUR MANAGEMENT
R   0
Y   0
G   0
C   0
B   0
M  0

COLOUR SPACE  2

NOISE REDUCTION:
OFF

OTHERS:

IP MODE 2

DRIVE MODE : 2

ORBITER:
ON.

SIDE MASK DETECTOR:
ON
Auto Wide

SIDE MASK COLOR:
AUTO

Power Save Mode:
Off

1. For TV channels:     Antenna input

AV SELECTION ***USER***

CONTRAST:     15-20
BRIGHTNESS:   +1
COLOUR:         +10   
TINT:               0
SHARPNESS:    -5

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA OFF

TEXT OPTIMIZATION:
OFF
INTELIGENT MODE:
OFF

PICTURE DETAIL:

DRE:
Low

BLACK LEVEL
OFF

ACL:
OFF

ENHANCER MODE   1

GAMMA   3

COLOUR DETAIL:

COLOUR TEMP:
Mid-Low

CTI OFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT
R   0
Y   0
G   0
C   0
B   0
M  0

COLOUR SPACE  2

NOISE REDUCTION:
3DNR Low
3DYC Low

OTHERS
IP MODE 2

DRIVE MODE : 2

ORBITER:
ON.

SIDE MASK DETECTOR:
ON

Auto Wide
SIDE MASK COLOR:
AUTO

Power Save Mode:
Off

Offline StanleyNTL

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
Good review from Vincent. Excellent to see that movie mode gives spot on settings (mostly) out of the box.
Some concern over material used to demonstrate - how does this fare with older films?
I found the 428XD most unsympathetic to older films (standard def.) eg Bond films, "Sailor of the King" (B/W Jeffrey Hunter) - not natural or cinematic.
Most pro installers prefer Panasonic screens in this respect, despite the Kuro black business.
I would anticipate this screen to be of similar performance.

Think what material you want this screen for! HD or standard def?

Offline JAB

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2008, 12:12:33 AM »
Hi Vincent,

Why do the calibration images have www.homecinema-fr.com on them?

And I read in your review about a dip in the gamma below 20% stimulus?
Doesn't this compromise the shadowdetail?
On the THX Optimizer screen I saw little distinction between the black background and the below black dropshadow behind the letters THX. So, the dip in the gamma curve could explain this.
But doesn't this make the picture darker than it should be? With possible loss of blackdetail?

Offline BT52

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2008, 10:41:42 AM »
Hi,
I am after a bit of advice.

I have recently had a Philips 47" 9632 which is going back due to a stuck pixel and the flickering thin lines issue on 1080p PS3 menu and Blu-ray films (eg menu on "Next", flickering jumper on end court scene. Vincent, is this due to the 1080p -> 1080i ->1080p processing?)

I absolutely love the Philips DNR handling on SD films. I prefer the smooth real motion to the "dreamlike" 24p, and the Philips was excellent at this.

I suspect the Samsung F86 will be disappointing in SD after the Philips. So I am considering Sony X3000, or pushing the boat out and getting this Pioneer.

Do either of these have the smoothing abilities of the Philips. I know the Sony has it in theory, but is it as effective? And for the Pioneer does such a concept even exist, or would I be forced to endure 24p juddering on films? It irritates me immensely on my 36" CRT now I have had the Philips, hence my concern over this Pioneer.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 190
  • -Received: 339
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2008, 04:58:35 PM »
Why do the calibration images have www.homecinema-fr.com on them?

I use their HCFR software (with their permission) to generate the pretty graphs.

And I read in your review about a dip in the gamma below 20% stimulus?
Doesn't this compromise the shadowdetail?
On the THX Optimizer screen I saw little distinction between the black background and the below black dropshadow behind the letters THX. So, the dip in the gamma curve could explain this.
But doesn't this make the picture darker than it should be? With possible loss of blackdetail?

Yes, you're right: shadow detail is slightly less distinct than say the Panasonic TH42PZ70, but it is something I'm more than happy to put up with for the sheer blacks and "pop".

Hi,
I am after a bit of advice.

I have recently had a Philips 47" 9632 which is going back due to a stuck pixel and the flickering thin lines issue on 1080p PS3 menu and Blu-ray films (eg menu on "Next", flickering jumper on end court scene. Vincent, is this due to the 1080p -> 1080i ->1080p processing?)

Yes, I believe the Philips converts incoming 1080p signals to 1080i internally, and then reconstructs it back to 1080p. However, for video-based signals the television cannot convert 1080i to 1080p without losing resolution, hence the flickering.

I absolutely love the Philips DNR handling on SD films. I prefer the smooth real motion to the "dreamlike" 24p, and the Philips was excellent at this.

I suspect the Samsung F86 will be disappointing in SD after the Philips. So I am considering Sony X3000, or pushing the boat out and getting this Pioneer.

Do either of these have the smoothing abilities of the Philips. I know the Sony has it in theory, but is it as effective? And for the Pioneer does such a concept even exist, or would I be forced to endure 24p juddering on films? It irritates me immensely on my 36" CRT now I have had the Philips, hence my concern over this Pioneer.

If it's the video effect you are after, the Pioneer won't provide it. However, what the Pioneer does best (compared to other HDTVs I've tested) is removing telecine judder regardless of whether you feed it 1080p/24 or 1080/60 signals.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline michaelga

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2008, 09:27:58 PM »
would these settings work for the pdp428xd as well or dose anybody know the settings for this set

Offline steven.jhons88

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2009, 08:37:23 AM »
Sometimes the smallest of differences in a TV model name can hide a whole world of difference in specification. So it is with Pioneer's PDP-LX508D. For although this 50in plasma TV shares almost the same moniker as the Pioneer PDP-508XD we've reviewed previously, it actually boasts one very important difference: a full HD pixel count where the previous model was only HD Ready. As well as potentially making the LX508D an even greater friend to HD material than the already superb 508XD, it's worth reflecting too on how tricky it is for plasma technology to dedicated servers fit full HD's 1,920 x 1,080 pixel requirement into any sensibly sized screen. In other words, the LX508D really is in a whole other world technologically to its cheaper, HD Ready sibling. This goes at least some way towards explaining the LX508D's rather hefty price hike, which finds it costing in the region web designer of £1300 more than the 508XD. There's nothing new about the LX508D's looks, though. It sports exactly the same extremely minimalistic, angular, glassy black bezel found across Pioneer's range. But given how supremely elegant, opulent, yet understated this design is, we're not complaining. Connectivity on the LX508D is prodigious. As you'd hope of what's built and priced search engine optimization to be very much a premium TV, we kick off with a trio of HDMIs that can all receive 1080p/24 from Blu-ray players, and are built to the V1.3a specification, making them compatible with Deep Colour sources like JVC and Panasonic's latest HD camcorders. Plus you get the inevitable component video input to meet the industry's ‘HD Ready' requirements, a trio of SCARTs, a D-Sub PC port, a USB host, an optical audio output and a subwoofer line-out.

Offline steven.jhons88

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
Sometimes the smallest of differences in a TV model name can hide a whole world of difference in specification. So it is with Pioneer's PDP-LX508D. For although this 50in plasma TV shares almost the same moniker as the Pioneer PDP-508XD we've reviewed previously, it actually high speed internet service boasts one very important difference: a full HD pixel count where the previous model was only HD Ready.

As well as potentially making the LX508D an even greater friend to HD material than the already superb 508XD, it's worth reflecting too on how tricky it is for plasma technology backup software to fit full HD's 1,920 x 1,080 pixel requirement into any sensibly sized screen. In other words, the LX508D really is in a whole other world hard drive recovery technologically to its cheaper, HD Ready sibling. This goes at least some way towards explaining the LX508D's rather hefty price hike, which finds it costing in the region of £1300 more than the 508XD.

Offline janos666

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2011, 01:16:38 AM »
Does anybody have accurate contrast measurements (black and white luminance values) from an ANSI checkerboard pattern for this display?

Google left me without relevant search results and this review didn't give me these values either.

It seems like this (the release of this TV) was the magical point in time when HDTV reviewers started to buy usable color measuring equipments, or I don't know.  ;D ;D ;D