Offline Melack70

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Pioneer KRP-500A and PDP-LX5090
« on: 21 April 2009, 09:51:50 PM »

What are the actual differences between these two televisions? I'm a little bamboozled by the whole thing!

Offline baryburton

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer KRP-500A and PDP-LX5090
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2012, 07:04:42 AM »
Hi guys,

I found a kuro lx5090,it's 2.5 year old and it's 2000$.I can buy 50vt30 or sony hx820 with same price.But I'm fell in love with with kuro's pictures on the forums.But I'm little confused about get pio or new pany with warranty.

3D,smart,media player etc. isn't important for me,most important thing for me is black levels and picture quality.I have got some doubts.The problem which I read on forum "reddish tint" is real problem or only few.Is black levels change over time ?

This is most important thing for me because I have panasonic px70 and its 5 year old and it's black become a grey.I'm waiting your comments...

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
I'm not an expert on the Pioneer displays, but the KRP version is the monitor and the PDP is the consumer TV. The latter has a tuner and, I understand, in Europe, most of the same features as the KRP.

I found a kuro lx5090,it's 2.5 year old and it's 2000$.I can buy 50vt30 or sony hx820 with same price.But I'm fell in love with with kuro's pictures on the forums.But I'm little confused about get pio or new pany with warranty.
I would say that the 50VT30 is roughly as good. Better in other ways, inferior in others. None of the Sony LCDs are in the same league as the Pioneer 5090 or the Panasonic VT30 (or VT50).

There have been reports of Pioneer Plasmas' blacks turning red, yes. People have emailed me on the issue, apparently Pioneer say it's normal. Some 2009 Panasonic PDPs lost black level quality over time but there have been no reports of that in 2010 models or later. Fingers crosed...
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline baryburton

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
David thanks for your fast reply.İt's annoying to hear that red tint could be a problem,especially used tv without warranty.Is there anything to do fix this.I read something about reset panel,is it true ?Actually I never see kuro in a action,only forums and google image,this is not show the truth I know.

At the moment I have got Philips 42PFL 9603 and Panasonic PX70.Both of them very old and have poor black levels.You know philips have matte screen also.I'm waiting from my new tv strong blacks and contrast.I like to watch movies play games at night,pitch dark or dimmed room.

I saw vt30,gt50 side by side during daytime I like GT50 more than VT30 in terms of motion and brightness.David what are you thinking about GT50 ? Could it be better choise over VT30 and pio ? Now it's 2700 $ I know its too expensive but If ı wait little longer I can buy it around 2300 $

Except these I'm ready to think other models which you suggest suitable with my criterias.Thanks in advance...

By the way sorry,my english may be little poor...
« Last Edit: 28 April 2012, 10:47:11 AM by baryburton »

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Except these I'm ready to think other models which you suggest suitable with my criterias.Thanks in advance...
I would definitely get something from new 50-th lineup. GT50 would be an excellent choice, I suppose.

I'm not an expert on the Pioneer displays, but the KRP version is the monitor and the PDP is the consumer TV. The latter has a tuner and, I understand, in Europe, most of the same features as the KRP.
If I remember correctly, the KRP series had several versions - A, M, etc. They identified which interfaces and tuners were onboard, and there were versions with same features as LX-5090. They had an external interface box for that matter, so the panel design can trick someone as being only a monitor.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

RobTheWire

« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
The KRP-M are without a tuner but have inputs on the screen so an external tuner would be required like a set top satellite box and you can connect a blu ray player and what have you , the KRP-A has no inputs on the screen but is connected to the monitor via a displayport cable to a media box with a built in hd satellite and a terrestrial tuner and also hdmi and component inputs.

The KRP has a superior black level to the LX series by quite a bit and is still better than anything else available in this respect even a Panasonic vt50.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2013, 09:33:43 PM »

I would say that the 50VT30 is roughly as good. Better in other ways, inferior in others. None of the Sony LCDs are in the same league as the Pioneer 5090 or the Panasonic VT30 (or VT50).

There have been reports of Pioneer Plasmas' blacks turning red, yes. People have emailed me on the issue, apparently Pioneer say it's normal. Some 2009 Panasonic PDPs lost black level quality over time but there have been no reports of that in 2010 models or later. Fingers crosed...
Are you telling me that pioneer said its normal  :o
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
I seem to remember that was the gist of the emails I saw posted.

But what else can they say, really... "Damn, we weren't expecting that. We'll have to start our money-hemorrhaging plasma R&D activities again and find a fix so we can protect the integrity of our TV business which no longer exists". Can't be a fun position to be in.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline stucarblne

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 37
  • -Received: 24
  • Friendly, honest, and tell it like it is bloke. :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
The KRP-M are without a tuner but have inputs on the screen so an external tuner would be required like a set top satellite box and you can connect a blu ray player and what have you , the KRP-A has no inputs on the screen but is connected to the monitor via a displayport cable to a media box with a built in hd satellite and a terrestrial tuner and also hdmi and component inputs.

The KRP has a superior black level to the LX series by quite a bit and is still better than anything else available in this respect even a Panasonic vt50.

Would add also the 500A has a cleaner sharper image than the 5090 also (in most instances) - as mentioned and noted by many, but also mentioned in the AV forums review of the KRP-500A.