Offline Steve

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Sharp LC42XD1E & LC46XD1E Reviews
« on: 12 April 2007, 10:23:13 AM »

Can someone help me in clarifying whether these set's VGA inputs will accept a full 1080i signal from an xbox, without it displaying at 1280x1024 because of any limitations within VGA.

Also, whether there is any know plans for Sharp to upgrade the firmware to support 1080p through the VGA port.

Xbox 360 player, so will be using this for gaming and dvds, hopefully latest dashboard update will let the console upscale DVD's internally to 1080i.

With the limitations for the xbox and this tv, e.g. no way of getting 1080p into it, is this really the best bet or would I be better with the new samsung M86 / M87?

Any advice appreciated!!
« Last Edit: 06 August 2007, 12:05:43 AM by Vincent »

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 188
  • -Received: 339
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp LC42XD1E + 46"
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2007, 06:44:37 AM »
When we tested our Sharp LC-42XD1E, our Xbox 360 was dashboard-software-updated to output 1080p over VGA so we didn't test 1080i. As stated in our review, the maximum resolution achieved over VGA was 1366 x 768.

There have been mixed reports on outputting 1080p over VGA to the Samsung M86... I no longer own an Xbox 360 I can't test this.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2007, 09:16:57 AM by Vincent »

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2007, 01:48:01 PM »
Please discuss our Sharp LC42XD1E review and Sharp LC46XD1E report in this thread.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2007, 01:42:10 AM by Vincent »

Offline Lacix

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2007, 11:39:36 AM »
Hi,

great review.

Would you review the Sharp 37XD1E also ?
I'm hesitating between this (37XD1E) model and the Samsung LE37R88BD.
I would use it as a normal (SD) TV and as a notebook monitor and playing DVD and HD movies on it.
Would it be a review about the 37" version of the new R8 series of Samsung TVs ?
I'm leaning towards the Sharp beacuse of the good black level but I don't know how it comapres with the black level on the Samsung LE37R88.

Offline Colin

• Global Moderator
  • [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
Hi,

1) No

2) We're doing the 32 inch R87 model. No plans for 37 inch yet.

3) The 42 and 46 inch have better black levels than our 32 inch R87. Don't know about 37 inch.

Good luck

Offline RedMarko

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Guys,

A number of people commenting on the review mentioned problems setting up the XBox 360 - i.e. picture but no sound. I am probably being thick, but is there any way that you can set up (through the component cable) to get picture & suond into Ext4?

Others seem to have "worked it out" - help would be gratefully received here though!

Offline Martin

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
Absolute brightness of LCD vs plasma
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2007, 09:53:33 AM »
"As a consequence of its excellent black level and inherent brightness (typical of LCD TVs), the Sharp LC46XD1E cooked up a post-calibration contrast ratio in excess of 1200:1, one of the highest we've recorded thus far."

I find this a bit confusing.

I know this is going from the manufacturers specs, but LCD's range in brightness around the 450-550 mark (this sharp rating at the low end at 450), and plasmas at 1000+ (eg pioneer PDP4270XD at 1100).

Is this just more marketing bull****, and LCD's actually give a brighter signal than plasma?

This is important to me, as the TV will be used in a bright south-facing room. I guess that the matte finish on some LCD's would help with this situation?

cheers, Martin

PS on a related subject, I think I understand that although plasmas quote up to 10000:1 contrast (presumably a capability of the bare panel), this is far more than the available difference between black & white when displaying an actual picture through the set's electronics.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
A number of people commenting on the review mentioned problems setting up the XBox 360 - i.e. picture but no sound. I am probably being thick, but is there any way that you can set up (through the component cable) to get picture & suond into Ext4?

You'll need a dual RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter to receive sound on the Sharp XD1E through component cable.

I know this is going from the manufacturers specs, but LCD's range in brightness around the 450-550 mark (this sharp rating at the low end at 450), and plasmas at 1000+ (eg pioneer PDP4270XD at 1100).

Is this just more marketing bull****, and LCD's actually give a brighter signal than plasma?

LCDs are acknowledged to be capable of displaying brighter pictures than plasmas. The latter has power limiters incorporated into the circuit to prevent excessive heat buildup when the APL (Average Picture Level) is high, so the maximum brightness that can be safely displayed is actually lower than that on an LCD. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1100 cd/m2 rating on the Pioneer is derived from a small windowed pattern amounting to less than 20% APL.

Offline RedMarko

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

You'll need a dual RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter to receive sound on the Sharp XD1E through component cable.

Thanks mate!

Offline pretenderep

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2007, 07:44:34 PM »
Hello,

I've just bought the 46XD1E and I'm, for now, quite happy with it, especially because the SD pictures are very good, far better than I was expecting (I'm used to pioneer plasma's "friendlyness" with bad sources).

For now I'm still seeking for the best settings and I must say it's quite challenging compared to my previous sets. Strangely, what I find as beeing the best picture (HD satellite in 1080i) is "Dynamic"... the white seems sometimes too "brilliant", but when I try the other factory settings, the picture appears "milky". Can someone give me some hints about how to configure it and get the most natural colors?

Is there a possibility to get the settings the testing team had to put to achieve the testing? I'm thinking about how you managed to get the "D65" you talk about in the review (by the way, it is said in the test that the closest to D65 is with the color setting on low...with this warm setting, the white seem not very white...rather pink... :o ).

I entered the service menu and saw that there's a lot of possibilities to change high and low RGB settings, like in the standard menu on my former plasma, but I wasn't sure what I was doing so I rather get some advices first...

Thanks in advance

PS : excuse my english I'm French

Offline IanJ

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone confirm which 1080p frame rates are supported on the LC42XD1E's HDMI inputs? Ideally it could support at least 24Hz, 30Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz.

Thanks.

Offline tazuk

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
Hi,

I have just bought a Sharp LC46XD1E and would be greatful if anyone could tell me if there is any way of making the picure full size when using HMDI input as always get the black borders at top and bottom.

Thanks.

Offline billit

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

1) I am very impressed by the quality of this site and wanted to write it down.

2) Now I have just bought a sharp 37 XD1E and apart from its fantastic image I have a very ennoying problem that I hope is going t be solved in the future by fixing or changing my tv by a new one:

Here is my problem. When I use my ps3 wired through the hdmi ext6 or ext5 the screen sometimes goes black and then comes back after a few seconds, it is as if I was using the remote controller putting the screen off and then turn it back on. It is very annoying as it can do this after 5 minutes of blue ray or game such as GT HD or virtua tennis and then not doing ti for 2 hours.

I have checked with a temperature probe the rear of the panel and the temperature is at about 25 , 28C so I think it is quite far below the maximum 40C of the manual.

I have also tried to hide my remote, and it also happened so it is not the faul of the remote.

After noticing this I have then read some forums on the net and I realised that a few people have the same problem with a ps3 but also with other inputs such as xbox360 ( linked through yuv and adaptor) or DVD players with HDMI output.

Do you guys have heard of anything similar with Sharp tv's.

I have read this on french forums so I dont give the link because I dont know if you guys can read french.

Does anyone know if it is a know problem and if someone has fixed it?
Any link on uk or US forums?

I have called the guy who sold me this Tv and asked him to check with Sharp.

I just hope that they will find out what happens and dont lead me to buy another brand if they dont want to understand...

We'll see.

Offline billit

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2007, 01:46:22 PM »
Hi,

I have just bought a Sharp LC46XD1E and would be greatful if anyone could tell me if there is any way of making the picure full size when using HMDI input as always get the black borders at top and bottom.

Thanks.

Hum It is written in the manual I think. Doesn't it work when you press the button between the sleep and opc button?

regards,

Offline tazuk

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2007, 10:48:16 PM »
HI

Thanks for reply I have tried the button before and it works on any other AV input as it gives loads of options like ful, normal, 16/9 etc but for some reason on HDMI it only gives to options which are underscan or full which both leave a border at top and bottom.

Thanks.