• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 182
  • -Received: 334
    • View Profile
Philips 37PFL9632D Review
« on: 26 January 2008, 12:35:46 PM »

Please discuss the Philips 37PFL9632D review article in this thread.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline Jimboli1

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Philips 37PFL9632D Review
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2008, 02:05:51 PM »
Hi Vincent, very informative review. do you think the tests would be different for the 42" version?

Offline simpsonsfan

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
Interesting review. I absolutely hate motion blur with a passion, so this TV sounds perfect.

But, Do you think that the issues you found could be fixed via a firmware upgrade ? or would they be hardware problems. Also, are you able to give feedback to philips on the units ?

Another thing, you didnt mention shadow detail. I currently have a samsung LCD which has an intolerable "black crush" which destroys my beautiful HD sources. Does the philips suffer from the same curse ?

-Chris

Offline peschehimself

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
Hi

Is it possible to post the calibrated settings for the 9632 here? I'd like to try them out. Nice review btw.

Offline crash

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
Hi Vincent.

"Qualified Recommendation" is better or worse than "Recomended"?

Sorry, but i am from Portugal, and my inglish isn't that good.

Offline razoola

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
That is a very good review there, I own the 42' version and it has most of the quirks you have picked out there. I never knew the 100hz clear LCD option was still acive when greyed out in the menus, I'll have to play with that one.

However there is one aspect of this LCD that you missed in the review and I wonder if you can look into it and update the review because I feel its quite relevant. This is in relation to the RGB inputs (EXT1 and EXT2 using SCART). I have personally found the quality is very poor, pixel plus does a half good job at correcting it. The picture also often suffers brightness drops (backlight turning off?) for no reason even when no picture enhancing features are present (dynamic contrast etc). This is very apparent when using a Wii console as youll see a brightness drop a couple of seconds into the Wii GUI.

I wonder if you can look into this and post about it in the review?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2008, 06:50:06 PM by razoola »

Offline Phantoma

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
Hi Vincent.

"Qualified Recommendation" is better or worse than "Recomended"?

Sorry, but i am from Portugal, and my inglish isn't that good.

"Qualified Recommendation" is not as good as "Recommended".
Samsung PS58C7000 plasma, Samsung BD-C5900, Tvix PVR R-2230, Xbox 360 slim 250GB.

Offline ork

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2008, 01:43:47 AM »
Is this Phlips better than 42 Kuro for watching SD only?

Offline lanja

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2008, 12:58:59 AM »
Hello Vincent.

A question.

With SonyX3500 MotionFlow on..when you spun the camera around quickly in a videogame it  preserve the detail on textures of the trees, rocks, floors, etc better than if you have MotionFlow off.

Do Philips Digital Natural Motion Work = ?  Do you see improvement in videogameswith Digital Natural Motion On?

Thanks

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 182
  • -Received: 334
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi Vincent, very informative review. do you think the tests would be different for the 42" version?

I don't expect the tests to be drastically different given that the processing remains the same.

But, Do you think that the issues you found could be fixed via a firmware upgrade ? or would they be hardware problems. Also, are you able to give feedback to philips on the units ?

Another thing, you didnt mention shadow detail. I currently have a samsung LCD which has an intolerable "black crush" which destroys my beautiful HD sources. Does the philips suffer from the same curse ?

-Chris

Hi Chris

I am not sure where the problem lies, but I do hope that Philips can issue a firmware upgrade to fix some of the issues.

Shadow detail on the Philips 37PFL9632D is slightly better than the Samsung LE40M86BD, but worse than the Sony KDL40W3000 or Toshiba 47Z3030D.

However there is one aspect of this LCD that you missed in the review and I wonder if you can look into it and update the review because I feel its quite relevant. This is in relation to the RGB inputs (EXT1 and EXT2 using SCART). I have personally found the quality is very poor, pixel plus does a half good job at correcting it. The picture also often suffers brightness drops (backlight turning off?) for no reason even when no picture enhancing features are present (dynamic contrast etc). This is very apparent when using a Wii console as youll see a brightness drop a couple of seconds into the Wii GUI.

I wonder if you can look into this and post about it in the review?

Hi razoola

I'm sorry I no longer have the television.

Is this Phlips better than 42 Kuro for watching SD only?

I would say that the Kuro is better for SD, but it's very close.

Hello Vincent.

A question.

With SonyX3500 MotionFlow on..when you spun the camera around quickly in a videogame it  preserve the detail on textures of the trees, rocks, floors, etc better than if you have MotionFlow off.

Do Philips Digital Natural Motion Work = ?  Do you see improvement in videogameswith Digital Natural Motion On?

From my tests, [100Hz Clear LCD] offers the most significant improvement in motion resolution, e.g. preservation of texture and detail when spinning in games.

Warmest regards
Vincent
« Last Edit: 05 February 2008, 10:34:22 AM by Vincent »

Offline peschehimself

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
What about the settings, or don't you have them anymore?

Offline DeanoDave

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
What about the settings, or don't you have them anymore?

Hi Vincent,
Great Test! I would also like some details of your settings, particularly the custom tint settings to get close to 6500K, do you set the red to max?

DeanoDave

Offline peschehimself

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Also the specific settings for the ambilight would be very kind!

Offline darioirad

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
Hi vincent,
thanks for the good test. I have not technical instrumentation to calibrate the tint. As other forumers, I will really appreciate to have more information about the settings.
thanks in advance
bye
ildiora

Offline Quercuslizard

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
I bought a Philips 37PFL9632 recently and have the following problem. When I switch to standby it is fine, there is a light on but no noise. However when I turn it off, after about one second there is a click and a high pitched whine begins. The only way to stop this is to turn it off at the wall.

This strikes me as a safety issue- surely when the unit is turned off it shouldn't be drawing any power. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
« Last Edit: 12 February 2008, 06:02:40 PM by Quercuslizard »