Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
Films and at the Cinema.
« on: 23 November 2011, 05:47:32 PM »

What you people planning on seeing or have seen, let us know. 8)

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
Re: Films and at the Cinema.
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Of to see The Amazing Spiderman in TeeDee tonight. ;D

FoxyMulder

« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2012, 04:39:58 PM »

I'll be interested in knowing if the colours and brightness are good on these 3D screenings, no spoilers when you return please although i'd like to know if you thought the origins story ( re-told again ) was as good as Sam Raimi's version of the story.

Been years since i went to the cinema, second last time was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the damn exit door sign was too near the screen and a bright patch was forever on the screen especially bad during the darker filmed moments, add to the fact i couldn't believe how bad the film got during it's second half and i am likely the biggest fan here of Raiders Of the Lost Ark.  I prefer now to wait for the home release.

Anyway that cinema was the The Vue in The Omni Centre in Edinburgh, they have 4K screening facilities but damn was the illuminated exit sign an issue, not sure if all the screens have that issue though.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2012, 04:50:57 PM by FoxyMulder »

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
Been years since i went to the cinema, last time was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the damn exit door sign was too near the screen and a bright patch was forever on the screen especially bad during the darker filmed moments, add to the fact i couldn't believe how bad the film got during it's second half and i am likely the biggest fan here of Raiders Of the Lost Ark.  I prefer now to wait for the home release.
Same here. UK law doesn't allow them to turn out the Fire Exit sign. Shame they put it RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCREEN  :'( ::)
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
Been years since i went to the cinema, last time was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the damn exit door sign was too near the screen and a bright patch was forever on the screen especially bad during the darker filmed moments, add to the fact i couldn't believe how bad the film got during it's second half and i am likely the biggest fan here of Raiders Of the Lost Ark.  I prefer now to wait for the home release.
Same here. UK law doesn't allow them to turn out the Fire Exit sign. Shame they put it RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCREEN  :'( ::)

I should add, almost forgot, i did see one more film after the Indiana Jones one, it was The Hangover at Cineworld in Fountain Park, Edinburgh, i highly recommend this cinema, no exit door signs near the screen, they were further up and away from the screen and the image was great, i could see the film grain clearly, good projection setup there.

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
After my Last dissapointment at the Cinema, i am in possesion of 2 Guest Tickets  ;D, I wanted to see Ice Age 4  :D but am thinking another real 3D film would make more sense so i can judge better any improvements etc  ;),
Any Recommendations for anything coming up at the 'Odeon' ?  :)
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
After my Last dissapointment at the Cinema, i am in possesion of 2 Guest Tickets  ;D, I wanted to see Ice Age 4  :D but am thinking another real 3D film would make more sense so i can judge better any improvements etc  ;),
Any Recommendations for anything coming up at the 'Odeon' ?  :)

The Dark Night Rises is coming soon. :)

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2012, 06:21:08 PM »

Enjoy Barry  ;D
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
Just got back and ..............the wife and daughter loved it, me to be honest i like Sam Raimi's version better. Also if you lads were thinking of going down the 3D route for this one, save your money as it had absolutley no 3D pop to it what so ever. :o

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
Just got back and ..............the wife and daughter loved it, me to be honest i like Sam Raimi's version better. Also if you lads were thinking of going down the 3D route for this one, save your money as it had absolutley no 3D pop to it what so ever. :o

Man thats dissapointing  ???, Did it look well setup ?, To be honest mate i was wondering if the Problem was with Passive 3D but i still remember the first time i saw Avatar at the Cinema !

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

Man thats dissapointing  ???, Did it look well setup ?, To be honest mate i was wondering if the Problem was with Passive 3D but i still remember the first time i saw Avatar at the Cinema !

To be honest i don't think it was, it had the potential fro great 3D with all the CGI but there was just nothing. :(

FoxyMulder

« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2012, 12:17:26 AM »

Man thats dissapointing  ??? , Did it look well setup ?, To be honest mate i was wondering if the Problem was with Passive 3D but i still remember the first time i saw Avatar at the Cinema !

To be honest i don't think it was, it had the potential fro great 3D with all the CGI but there was just nothing. :(

They specifically shot it in 3D too using the Red Epic 5K cameras, same camera is being used on The Hobbit and was used on Prometheus.

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2012, 07:51:26 AM »

Thats a shame, I wonder  how well these cinemas look after the Kit ?. 3D in general seems to be going in the Direction of 'Depth rather than much Pop out which is great But its nice to have Some Pokey in your Eye moments even if theres a little Xtalk with it .

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2012, 08:51:40 AM »

Man thats dissapointing  ??? , Did it look well setup ?, To be honest mate i was wondering if the Problem was with Passive 3D but i still remember the first time i saw Avatar at the Cinema !

They specifically shot it in 3D too using the Red Epic 5K cameras, same camera is being used on The Hobbit and was used on Prometheus.

I am wondering if it was the fault of the Cinema, did Prometheus have a feeling of depth to it?

FoxyMulder

« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

I am wondering if it was the fault of the Cinema, did Prometheus have a feeling of depth to it?

I have read that Prometheus had great depth to it and is right up there with Avatar for it's 3D, never seen it myself though.  I think David's brother enjoyed it and he has info on his site about it.

I want to add that i personally like 3D films with some nice pop out of the screen moments, depth is all well and good but a 3D film without some coming right at ya moments would disappoint me.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 07:47:45 PM by FoxyMulder »