Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
Re: Films and at the Cinema.
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2012, 09:39:11 PM »

Just got back and ..............the wife and daughter loved it, me to be honest i like Sam Raimi's version better. Also if you lads were thinking of going down the 3D route for this one, save your money as it had absolutley no 3D pop to it what so ever. :o
My bro went to see it in 3d and said it was great. Maybe you walked into a 2d viewing lol

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 July 2012, 07:21:20 AM »
Just got back and ..............the wife and daughter loved it, me to be honest i like Sam Raimi's version better. Also if you lads were thinking of going down the 3D route for this one, save your money as it had absolutley no 3D pop to it what so ever. :o

Man thats dissapointing  ??? , Did it look well setup ?, To be honest mate i was wondering if the Problem was with Passive 3D but i still remember the first time i saw Avatar at the Cinema !

To be honest i don't think it was, it had the potential fro great 3D with all the CGI but there was just nothing. :(

They specifically shot it in 3D too using the Red Epic 5K cameras, same camera is being used on The Hobbit and was used on Prometheus.

I am wondering if it was the fault of the Cinema, did Prometheus have a feeling of depth to it?

I have read that Prometheus had great depth to it and is right up there with Avatar for it's 3D, never seen it myself though.  I think David's brother enjoyed it and he has info on his site about it.

I want to add that i personally like 3D films with some nice pop out of the screen moments, depth is all well and good but a 3D film without some coming right at ya moments would disappoint me.

I totally agree, I have heard many good comments on Prometheus for Film and 3D. It was Avatar that got me so into this lark in the first place, I went to see it and was expecting it to be rubbish and a Gimmick but right from the off i was like  :o !!, On the journey home i was jibbering like a kiddy school girl (or Boy) and my wife has been sick of my strange AV habits ever since  ;D Lol.
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 August 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
The Dark Night Rises..........go see it lads, then buy it on Blu when availabe. Fantastic IMHO. :clap:

These member(s) thanked your post:

FoxyMulder

« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
The Dark Night Rises..........go see it lads, then buy it on Blu when availabe. Fantastic IMHO. :clap:
Yeah it does, every bloody evening, i might have to go to Alaska.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
This does look rather good, might have to go and see this one. :)

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2012, 12:11:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kw1UVovByw#ws

Saw the trailer last night. Looks amazing!!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
I don't like the Adele song much, maybe it will grow on me, it sounds dreary and doesn't excite me enough, i also wonder if this Bond will be bloated, trailers always put the good parts in to get people to watch the film.

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kw1UVovByw#ws

Thinking the same thing Barry,  :)
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 October 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
Yep, looking forward to Skyfall... 8)

I saw Taken 2 the other day at the cinema. It was ok... Because of Liam Neeson :P
Just so bloody similar to the first Taken, and therefore quite ever-so predictable.

I'd still recommend seeing it if you've seen the first one, and liked it, though.
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
Yep, looking forward to Skyfall... 8)

I saw Taken 2 the other day at the cinema. It was ok... Because of Liam Neeson :P
Just so bloody similar to the first Taken, and therefore quite ever-so predictable.

I'd still recommend seeing it if you've seen the first one, and liked it, though.

The original Taken was superb. :worthy:

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
Ok we went to the odeon cinema this morning to see Rise of the Gaurdians. Last minute decision so them freebie tickets didnt go to waste and the fact it was showing in the same screen no 8. Funny as me and the wife were the only couple in there without kids  :lol:.

It took me 30 minutes or so to get engrossed into the film as it was a little slow but then picked up, visuals were excellent along with Audio. I feel sure this screen particular projector  has been calibrated since last visit, whites and colours were great.

That's the good over with. Now onto the bad but puzzling. I could not believe the amount of cross talk throughout the film especially darker scenes. This puzzles me as I was under the impression (after owning as well) that passive was literally free from cross talk ??.

We were at isle seat near the back but looking directly ahead on a level plain my eyes were probably just below the bottom of the screen. I don't like having to look up at a screen unless I can recline but then the screen has to be angled down towards me.

I can remember well from my passive 3D tv's that you have to veiw them square on at eye level mid screen otherwise you get cross talk, can this possibly be the cause of the cross talk I was seeing or is it not a requirement to view square on with a passive projector ??.

Also that hedious vertical DSE effect was still present on bright whiter backgrounds which took me right out of the film especially panning shots.

I really wanted to say something before I left but the wife hates it if I complain. I will be emailing odeon again about this but please guys if you know for sure about the veiwing up angle I was talking about could be the cause of the cross talk I will be grateful if you can reply here.

I won't be looking for free tickets this time as I am done with the cinema now, well for 3D anyhow, 3D is much better on my tv at home.

Thanks for any help  :)

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #27 on: 27 December 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
I don't think there is any viewing angle issue with passive 3D at the cinema. As far as I'm aware, that only exists because of the underlying LCD issues.

But, it's not true at all that passive is free of crosstalk. Nearly every passive display tech I've seen has featured it.

The dirty screen effect is a big deal for me too. It's caused by high gain screens.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 218
  • -Received: 265
  • It's because I'm green isn't it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 December 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
not good marty at all.
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
I don't think there is any viewing angle issue with passive 3D at the cinema. As far as I'm aware, that only exists because of the underlying LCD issues.

But, it's not true at all that passive is free of crosstalk. Nearly every passive display tech I've seen has featured it.

The dirty screen effect is a big deal for me too. It's caused by high gain screens.

I know on my LCD LGs I had side to side viewing angles were fine for 3D, it was above / below it completely fell apart with crosstalk. If viewed at a good eye level crosstalk was pretty good, any idea how I can find out for sure so I can follow this up with fact not just theory ?.

This DSE effect David, are you saying its the projectors screen at fault not a pj fault ?. Is this common at cinemas ?.

Thanks.