Author Topic:

Gadgets & Gizmos, Tablets, Phones, Notebook's etc.

(Read 20383 times)

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
Re: Gadgets & Gizmos, Tablets, Phones, Notebook's etc.
« Reply #60 on: 02 February 2014, 09:40:04 PM »

Are you thinking of buying one Barry ?, I struggle a bit with this website on the moto G, text is tiny and I have trouble 'quoting' somebody's post or PM sometimes, that's why I asked how do I get the mobile friendly version of the site  :huh:.
Also I see Lenovo have just bought motorola so there may not be anymore updates.

Apart from that I paid 159 for the 16gb version from amazon and I find it an excellent phone, most bought the 8 gb for 99 at Tesco then got an unlock code for 3 or something off eBay.  :)

It would be on a contract mate with Virgin, 18 a month over two years.

1000texts
1000mins
500mb storage.

Do you have to go with virgin ?, I don't know why but I just buy a phone now and go sim only for 12 months  :).

Only way really I can afford to upgrade. :(

Have you checked out other offers mate ?, I'm sure I saw a few decent ones when researching the moto. :)

Yeah, they turned out all to be much the same. :huh:

Just been having a look and yes your right mate.
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 April 2014, 12:08:33 AM »
My old phone had just about had it, so I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 when I saw it on a special offer... Damn, it's good! :) Nice and quick :)
It also has a 1920x1080 "Super AMOLED" screen with the Pentile pixel structure... The Pentile layout obviously isn't visible given the size of the screen... But the fact that it's an OLED instead of LCD is! Black parts go perfectly black - invisible in a pitch black room. Pretty cool. It does have a uniformity issue, though, with the upper right corner of the screen being very much redder than the rest on some grey shades. It's noticeable when holding the phone sideways and writing (like I am now), but that's not an issue for me... If it was a TV I'd get a replacement :lol:

Tried mirroring the screen onto my VT60 while streaming a movie, and the deeper (perfect) black level was quite apparent when comparing them "side-by-side-ish" in darker scenes. However, the overall PQ (with regards to colours, shadow details and motion) cannot even hope to come close to the VT60, LOL :P Also, once I had kept the SGS4 out of my eyesight for a moment, the MLL of the VT60 is already so low that I didn't feel like I was missing anything. Still, once you're LOOKING at the perfect blacks, it's really something.

I THINK this OLED screen is NOT pulse driven, as there seems to be some smearing now and then. However motion definitely looks sharper than any LCD-based display I've seen on a phone before...

It's quite cool to see this screen in action, as it gives a glimpse of what will probably be the future of HDTV's... OLED and its perfect black levels. Perhaps expanded colour gamuts and higher-bit processing/more shades... Hopefully with some added accuracy, pulse driving and better screen uniformity, though ;)

Just though some of you might be interested :)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #62 on: 14 April 2014, 01:04:24 AM »
I have an S4 too, and yes, it's definitely not impulse driven. The motion resolution is pretty poor (compared to plasma), try scrolling on a web page quickly!
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 14 April 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
A question out of curiosity: do you guys use a "Movie" color preset on your Galaxy S4 or do you stick to wide gamut profiles like "Standard" or "Adobe RGB"?
(I don't ask about "Dynamic", because nobody would want to use it. :lol:)

I've recently tested a new Xperia Z2 smartphone and tablet. They have Triluminos wide gamut LED backlight covering about 130% sRGB, but there's no color profile matching a 100% sRGB, so it feels awkward sometimes.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 14 April 2014, 12:32:48 PM »
I have an S4 too, and yes, it's definitely not impulse driven. The motion resolution is pretty poor (compared to plasma), try scrolling on a web page quickly!
Yep, but I still think there seems to be a tad less motion smearing compared to many other LCD's I've seen... The smeared trails seem to "clear away" a little quicker. I'm not an expert on phones, though, but the S4 definitely has a million times less motion smearing than my previous phone, the Xperia Arc S. Nice with the viewing angles, too :)

A question out of curiosity: do you guys use a "Movie" color preset on your Galaxy S4 or do you stick to wide gamut profiles like "Standard" or "Adobe RGB"?
(I don't ask about "Dynamic", because nobody would want to use it. :lol:)

I've recently tested a new Xperia Z2 smartphone and tablet. They have Triluminos wide gamut LED backlight covering about 130% sRGB, but there's no color profile matching a 100% sRGB, so it feels awkward sometimes.
Yes, "awkward sometimes" is a good description of what I'm feeling here too :P I stay well away from "Standard" and (shivers) "Dynamic," but I'm finding it hard to choose between "Professional Photo" and "Movie"... I like how some colours in "Professional Photo" are really vibrant, and cartoony stuff can look really cool, but most colours do seem over-saturated. However, some colours seem slightly under-saturated in "Movie" mode, to me :chin: I've never seen a calibrated display before, though, so I'm not really sure. Almost any PDP's I've seen look more pleasing, though...

After trying out "Professional Photo" now for a few days, I've switched to "Movie" and it does just seem more right... When looking at an over-saturated screen, I feel that sometimes it can get just a little sickly :P

I think I'm going with "Movie", although I haven't made up my mind yet. It seems like a compromise either way.

Being used to watching calibrated screens, what do you think, David? :chin:
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 14 April 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
However, some colours seem slightly under-saturated in "Movie" mode, to me :chin:
Maybe it's because Samsung optimized their GUI elements for expanded colours.
If you use wide gamut modes, the icons and menus seem vibrant and pleasing, but the photos and videos have exagerrated colours.
If you switch to a standard sRGB/Rec.709 gamut ("Movie"), the menus will indeed seem a bit pale and undersaturated, but photos/videos will be OK.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 14 April 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
However, some colours seem slightly under-saturated in "Movie" mode, to me :chin:
Maybe it's because Samsung optimized their GUI elements for expanded colours.
If you use wide gamut modes, the icons and menus seem vibrant and pleasing, but the photos and videos have exagerrated colours.
If you switch to a standard sRGB/Rec.709 gamut ("Movie"), the menus will indeed seem a bit pale and undersaturated, but photos/videos will be OK.
I thought the same thing, but even many of the icons look oversaturated :P
Think I'm sticking with "Movie", as I've been using it for a while now, and it just looks better... ;)

Offline paukku

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3
  • -Received: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 July 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Tab S mainly because it had an OLED (currently the only tablet with OLED I think) and other specs are decent. Just look at the black level! https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bqeglbemnbjha4/2014-07-22%2022.04.10.jpg That is a picture of the tablet with a black page/picture on it.

The OLED isn't perfect though, there's a weird violet phase from black to white when panning whicih is mostly noticable on black and white comics. It's similar to phosphor trail in plasma panels but violet. Also there's a huge tailing from black to gray when panning a page or picture. None of these really bother though because in trade I get awesome black levels something no other tablet would be able to provide.