• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: LG OLED 55" Screen
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2013, 08:13:16 AM »

It is sample and hold. They're more like LCD than they are plasma in that regard.
I noticed that OLED screens are losing clarity with fast motion, despite their great pixel response.
Are we about to see another motion processing era?

Wow those black levels. :o But still a few questions, in particular those bands and the stuck/dead pixels?
With ambient light present, they're not so different from current-gen technologies.
What was the last time you saw an LCD or PDP with ~50 defective subpixels? The technology is still rough...
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I've spent some quality time with LG 55EA980V curved OLED TV. Here are some impressions:

-It really has zero black level, and it's pretty cool. However, in order to really appreciate mighty and inky blacks, it should be viewed in dark room.
Nevertheless, under the right circumstances shadow details and black depth are breathtakingly deep.
If you're used to high-end plasma displays such as Kuro (VT/ZT60, F8500, etc.), maybe you won't be crazy impressed. Chances are you're already used to such incredible image depth.

-ABL all the way. It has ABL, and it shifts brightness and gamma significantly. Dynamic backlight test from AVS HD shows very noticeable fluctuation on grayscale. It's not very pronounced during casual viewing, but it's there. Bring the menu up, and you'll see the brightness shift already.
300 cd/m2 max brightness on 15% Window equals 187 cd/m2 brightness on ANSI.
122 cd/m2 window brightness goes down to ~80 cd/m2 on ANSI. That sounds familiar, isn't it? ;D

-Quirky calibration behavior of White-OLED really reminds me of PDP. It won't be long until you find yourself using an APL patterns and standard Plasma tricks for calibration. Maybe it's even more tricky when it comes to CMS: colour brighness depends heavy on saturation, and vice versa. Using 75/75% stimuli is a good idea.
I'm sure professionals will find a workaround, but it was hard calibrating this one myself.

-Pixels are extremely fast, but motion resolution is on lower side, comparable to average LCD. Who said "sample-and-hold" display? Kudos to you, sir!

-So, is it a bad display, then? No way! It blows out of the water everything LG put out recently, including any 4K/UHD LCDs. And other vendors for that matter. It's a bit ironic that next-gen OLED really reminds of "old phat power-consuming" plasmas. The design is completely another level: these panels are way slimmer, lighter, they can be made in small or big sizes and be flexible. It's like PDP v2.0. The king is dead, long live the king!
« Last Edit: 25 September 2013, 08:30:55 PM by FoxHounder »

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Thanks Misha, great review mate. Are you able to do a full review on this one, or is your time limited? :worthy: :worthy:

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
-Pixels are extremely fast, but motion resolution is on lower side, comparable to average LCD. Who said "sample-and-hold" display? Kudos to you, sir!
Does it not have a dark frame insertion mode like the Samsung?

The last LG OLED I looked at had Korean menus so I wasn't able to tell.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2013, 07:14:19 AM »
Thanks Misha, great review mate. Are you able to do a full review on this one, or is your time limited? :worthy: :worthy:
I'll write a review as soon as I can. Maybe I'll do an English version for HDTVtest forum, so you fellas can read it without Google translate.

I thought it was doable on OLED, but seems like this one has only "Clear", "Smooth" and "User" interpolation modes with de-blur/de-judder setup.
An FPD Motion Resolution was a mess by default, with very little lines number visible (about 300). Enabling TruMotion in any way seems to help, bringing motion resolution up to ~700 lines or so. But it's not full clarity which could be expected.
I bet a proper black frame insertion method would boost it higher.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 September 2013, 09:26:16 AM »
I'll write a review as soon as I can. Maybe I'll do an English version for HDTVtest forum, so you fellas can read it without Google translate.
Wow, that would be great :) Thanks for the short review above, too! :)

I thought it was doable on OLED, but seems like this one has only "Clear", "Smooth" and "User" interpolation modes with de-blur/de-judder setup.
An FPD Motion Resolution was a mess by default, with very little lines number visible (about 300). Enabling TruMotion in any way seems to help, bringing motion resolution up to ~700 lines or so. But it's not full clarity which could be expected.
This sucks. It shouldn't really be noticeable with material of lower framerates, but for 60fps gaming...
Apart from weak MLL, blurry motion is the second main thing I really hate about LCD/LED's. I hope we'll see OLED's with 1080 lines of motion resolution in the future..! Damn, how annoying :huh:

(EDIT: Fingers crossed for Samsung's Dark Frame Insertion, then)
« Last Edit: 26 September 2013, 09:31:06 AM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #21 on: 26 September 2013, 10:36:48 AM »

So the only way to get higher motion resolution on the LG OLED is to enable motion interpolation + soap opera effect?

That was what I thought from the Korean version but I assumed there was an option I was missing owed to the fact I can't read Hangul  :lol:
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 September 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
I hope we'll see OLED's with 1080 lines of motion resolution in the future..! Damn, how annoying :huh:
I think Sony and Panasonic can get a clear shot at this with their OLEDs.
Sony knows importance of black frame insertion method, and Panasonic have some gurus at PWM display driving, which come from PDP department. ;D

So the only way to get higher motion resolution on the LG OLED is to enable motion interpolation + soap opera effect?
Basically, yes. It's either low effect or a clear soap opera motion in any TruMotion mode.
However, I didn't have time to experiment with User mode and De-blur/De-judder modes individually.
Either way, the biggest improvement I could get is a slight increase in motion resolution, nowhere near modern plasmas or Sony LCDs running in Impulse mode with scanning backlight.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
Well, I've published a russian version of review: http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review/misc/LG_EA980V_OLED-rev.html

I will translate it for you in some time. ;)

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2013, 08:24:51 PM »

FoxyMulder

« Reply #25 on: 08 December 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
The Samsung is superior to the LG, i don't think in the world of OLED this particular set is reference level, to me a reference level means no issues, this LG has issues as pointed out in the review, i personally think there is too much of an obsession with black levels and you have forgotten about the issues when awarding the reference level award.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Thank you for another great review, Vincent! ;D

Though I agree with FoxyMulder to a certain extent, I don't think you are wrong to give this LG a Reference Level rating at this point. However, as is mentioned in the review, HDTVtest might have to revise it's rating system and how different elements weigh in. As far as OLED TV's go, it might not be the reference, but by the world's current standards it basically is... However, if 90 % of all future OLED TV's are going to have black blacks (wow, let it be known that Vincent coined that term! :lol:) and they all can reach the current levels of light output, the terms "contrast ratio" and "black level" are going to be more or less irrelevant. Glad I'm not the one who's gonna have to come up with a solution to this future problem :P

Thanks again for the interesting read, Vincent! ;) Although I'd have picked the Samsung, judging by the reviews, it seems this LG is a smashing set.
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
My LED Sony W9 has way better uniformity than that LG WOLED.
What could cause such an effect? Would it get better with age? :chin:

Offline zAndy1

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3
  • -Received: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 January 2014, 11:40:23 AM »
Surprised there's been no further posts on here since the 3k price reduction to 4999, nobody tempted at that price then? I'd consider one if it was 3500 but 4999 is still too rich for me, especially considering it's 1080p.

Oh and hi and happy new year everyone :)

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 January 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
Surprised there's been no further posts on here since the 3k price reduction to 4999, nobody tempted at that price then? I'd consider one if it was 3500 but 4999 is still too rich for me, especially considering it's 1080p.

Oh and hi and happy new year everyone :)

Happy New Year Andy..........I still think in the coming months it might drop even lower, especially if a new line up is announced at CES. :)