• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 869
  • -Received: 1935
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Toshiba 37XV505D Review
« on: 01 May 2008, 01:41:05 AM »

We've just finished reviewing the 37" version of Toshiba's XV Series, which serves up 1920x1080 pixels at an incredibly affordable price. Discuss it here :)

-David Mackenzie
« Last Edit: 01 May 2008, 01:58:39 AM by Vincent »
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer
--
Feel free to send me PMs if you need to, but please don't post the same question on the forum and in the PM. I don't have the time to respond twice, so please post in the main forum only - it'll usually get a faster response. Thanks!

Offline Kitsch

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Toshiba 37XV505D Review
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
I do agree with the "Exat Scan" it realy bugs me I have a 47Z3030D & love it but the fact I have to select "Exat Scan" evry time I input a 1080 source realy gets me going as you can only select it when there is a 1080 source so the TV knows this so why does it not automatically switch.

I have emailed this to Tosh.

Would like to know if all manufactures tv's do this or do they automatically switch over to 1:1 "Exat Scan" if a 1080 source is inputed?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 869
  • -Received: 1935
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2008, 10:35:05 AM »
Well, Sony implement it as its own option rather than an Aspect Ratio one. So, you can tell it that this input should not be overscanned, and it'll remember that on a per-input basis. I'm not sure how other manufacturers do it, though.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer
--
Feel free to send me PMs if you need to, but please don't post the same question on the forum and in the PM. I don't have the time to respond twice, so please post in the main forum only - it'll usually get a faster response. Thanks!

Offline gasteropod

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
It really annoys me on the 47Z3030 too.

Offline pxmm

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
David, I noticed you managed to get the red primary hue spot on using the colour management. I'm interested to know whether you used the 'Brightness' colour control to achieve this as I've noticed, and have seen reported elsewhere, that the cheaper Toshibas using the ColorMaster Pro colour management exhibit severe mosiquito noise and macro blocking when this colour brightness control is used, making it pretty useless except in being able to hit the right hue and luminance.

The reason I ask is I've been calibrating my Dad's 37XV505 for him and have found that the red saturation control has a huge impact on the hue as well as luminance, whereas the other colour saturation controls only affect their luminance. Consequently I was left with a choice between upping the saturation to get the correct red hue at the expense of a large increase in saturation which could not be countered by reducing the overall colour controll and upping the other colour saturations(green primary is difficult to tame and is woefully undersaturated when you do tame it), or getting the right luminance but moving the primary closer to white (making red too orange).

Offline allanb21

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Has anyone got a best setting for this TV - i'm finding it very had to get a setting i'm happy with.

I've notice a few setting on the brilliant review, but can anyone please help????

???

Offline cf

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2008, 09:33:05 AM »
David,

Thanks for your excellent review, it made me buy this telly! One question though, did you use the values in the review to configure the screen? (if no, which then?)

Kind regards,

CF - The Netherlands

[edit] Never mind, http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/toshiba-37xv505db-37xv503db-review-20080501106.htm#comments :) [/edit]
« Last Edit: 02 June 2008, 06:46:01 PM by cf »