• -Received: 265
  • It's because I'm green isn't it?
    • View Profile
chromapure
« on: 11 June 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

Hi all,
right im after some info on chroma pure,
I have ordered it but have just read the manual,
Am i right in thinking that black and white levels(contrast and brightness) it doesnt do anything for this has to be done by eye from a disc as does sharpness, so all it will be doing is white balance and colour,gamma,

I have spyder 4 tv hdand that measure for white and black levels and tells you what to set, but it was giving me a different figure to what i was doing via eye on the avs forums disc, so this is why i brought the cromapure. i feel a litttle dissapointed as it wont really help.

« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 10:58:21 AM by Scottthehat »
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

Offline JrCalibrator

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 61
  • -Received: 66
    • View Profile
Re: chromapure
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 11:47:50 AM »
Hi
I do not understand why you are disappointed.
I'll try to explain. I hope this help.

There is a part of the calibration process that has to be done by eyes; when you set Black level ( brightnes control ) and white level ( contrast ).
This is important because it depends on your room condition and perception and no software can do it for yourself.
But having meter and software they can help you to set them in a more precise way:

While setting contrast you can take continuous measure to see if a reduction of contrast helps RGB mix in your white for example; this can be done correctly only using meter.
Then you can see how contrast setting is affecting gamma;

While setting Black level you could set with more precision your brightnes control checking Luminance level at 10% ire to help gamma too. Y reading at 10% ire should be 0,65% of 100% Y.

But BASIC settings have to be done by eyes! Because there are certain criteria to follow an theese are more important than the above ones.

You should download and burn AVS hd 709. There are specific patterns for this purpous.
You set br. To make barely visibile digital level 17 etc..etc..
The above discussed fine tuning is a plus that software and meter can add!

Other than BASIC settings all the calibration will be ONLY possible with meter and software .

Chromapure has a nice help section to follow and is an easy program.

You will enjoy your new tool.

Offline JrCalibrator

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 61
  • -Received: 66
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Another couple of things.
Remember that all calibrators set br/contrast/sharpness by eyes because as i said this is the only reliable way . It will never exist a professional software to set them because they are all about what your eyes are seeing.
Also, never trust one other settings because every ambient/ room is different from another , also what you are using in your video chain can make a big difference.

As i said meter and sw can help you to refine what you see.

After a while you will learn to love chromapure!

Just for curiosity: what tv you will calibrate?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
Yep, as JrCalibrator said, some of the settings are basic ones which are adjusted by eye.

The ones which make the biggest difference (Greyscale and Colour Gamut) need to be done with meter. Not sure why you're disappointed - don't think about the number of settings you adjust, think about the difference they make.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 218
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
thanks guys. the thing is with spyder it asks for about 10 or more setting off contrast say 0 then 25 the 50 the 75 then 100 then might go down to 80 then 95 then say 85 then 90 then 92 then 94 then it tells you your optimum contrast need to be set at say 93 and it does this for contrast, brightness,colour,tint.

which say on my tv it selected contrast at 98 which in my op is to much as it causes a red tint which goes if you back off to about 95(maybe that would go with white balance adjustment),
brightness it set at 57 but my eyes tell me using the avs forums 709 disk tellme brighness should be at 42(big diffrence) as the spyder has a sensor on the back which is suppose to take into account the lighting conditions your in. but spder lack white balance adjsutment which needs doing if using warm  or 2 as it tints everything yellow.

also colour can be done on the avs forums disc and using blue filter on tv, is the cromapure gonna be more accurate than that, same as tint.

so the avs forums disc can do contrast.brighness,colour,tint.

mymain tv is a samsung plasma ps59d550
« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 02:04:36 PM by Scottthehat »
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
OK, I need to have a real investigation of what this Spyder disc is telling you, because no calibration disc can dole out advice like this:

thanks guys. the thing is with spyder it asks for about 10 or more setting off contrast say 0 then 25 the 50 the 75 then 100 then might go down to 80 then 95 then say 85 then 90 then 92 then 94 then it tells you your optimum contrast need to be set at say 93 and it does this for contrast, brightness,colour,tint.

Contrast is implemented differently on every TV. Sometimes Max is even a safe setting to use (rare, but true - 2012 Samsung LCDs don't clip if Contrast is at max). There's no rule about setting things to one half, one quarter etc. - it's about what gives the proper result.

Scott - I'll investigate the Spyder disc you sent me and get back :)
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Cheers David. You will see what i mean when you use it. Will be interesting to see what you think. Its straight forward to use.

FoxyMulder

« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
Yep, as JrCalibrator said, some of the settings are basic ones which are adjusted by eye.

The ones which make the biggest difference (Greyscale and Colour Gamut) need to be done with meter. Not sure why you're disappointed - don't think about the number of settings you adjust, think about the difference they make.

Does Chromapure with a meter help adjust greyscale and the colours so they are spot on. ?  Or is Chromapure just an auto calibration tool that is no use if you already have a disc like Spears and Munsil. ?

As i said in the other thread i created i am looking for a meter and software to do this myself, i was looking at Calman but if Chromapure can do it as accurately and cheaper then i'd consider it.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 04:38:22 PM by FoxyMulder »

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

Does Chromapure with a meter help adjust greyscale and the colours so they are spot on. ?  Or is Chromapure just an auto calibration tool that is no use if you already have a disc like Spears and Munsil. ?

As i said in the other thread i created i am looking for a meter and software to do this myself, i was looking at Calman but if Chromapure can do it as accurately and cheaper then i'd consider it.

Chromapure does indeed help adjust Greyscale and Colours and i have found it to be excellent. :)

These member(s) thanked your post:

FoxyMulder

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Heres a quick question just watching the football and had this picture up so thought i would muck around with contrast and had some weired results.

on the right side you can see its bright with the contrast at 90 its almost blown out at 94 detail gets better and at 98 its better than 90 but not quite as good as 94.

FoxyMulder

« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

Chromapure does indeed help adjust Greyscale and Colours and i have found it to be excellent. :)

What version of Chromapure do you use and what meter. ?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
on the right side you can see its bright with the contrast at 90 its almost blown out at 94 detail gets better and at 98 its better than 90 but not quite as good as 94.
It's nearly impossible to tell from a photo of a TV... but it's likely that area was extremely hot and over-exposed in the original video.
--

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2012, 06:56:23 PM »

What version of Chromapure do you use and what meter. ?

I have 2.2.5.39180, needs updating just not got round to it yet and my Meter is the Eye One LT. :)

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
It's nearly impossible to tell from a photo of a TV... but it's likely that area was extremely hot and over-exposed in the original video.
it was over exposed but how comes lowering the contrast from 98 down to 94 brought some detail back but lowering again to 90 it was brighter than 98.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Good question.

When I get a Samsung 2012 PDP I can try for myself...

Are you listening Samsung ;D
--