• Thank You
  • -Gave: 42
  • -Received: 18
    • View Profile
Philips 9707
« on: 15 August 2012, 12:55:42 PM »

Here is the leaked info.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1341908770
Looks like the top model still is too expensive to produce in sizes above 46 inches.
It has already won the 2012-13 EISA award for best European LCD.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1345014728
The award does not mean much to be honest, but it's worth mentioning.
I am semi-interested in this TV because of the Moth filter. I've seen it in action and it truly is quite amazing compared to their competitors' conventional filters.
I hope to see a review on this site when the model is available on the market.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2012, 01:02:25 PM by artur79 »

FoxyMulder

Re: Philips 9707
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2012, 08:30:42 PM »
I am semi-interested in this TV because of the Moth filter. I've seen it in action and it truly is quite amazing compared to their competitors' conventional filters.
I could do with a moth filter, had two of them come in last night when i opened the kitchen door, they are attracted to the lights and anything which keeps them out is a good thing, i don't want to have a new TV in the kitchen though.

Offline artur79

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
One tv?? Unless you're a hobbit you'll have to stack 3-4 TVs in front of the door to keep those darned moths out!  :P
I see that it's actually called moth eye filter. Lol

These member(s) thanked your post:

FoxyMulder

Offline shimrod

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
A review of the 46PFL9707 has been published

http://www.trustedreviews.com/philips-46pfl9707-first-look_TV_review

David , have you intention of reviewing this set? It would be very interesting.. Since two years ago there has been some reviews telling that top end Philips models (with Moth Eye) are the best 2D image performers of all (including Sony, Panasonic, etc) but there hasn't any comfirmation by top reviewers like you

Thank you

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
I'd love to review one. We'll see what we can do! It's been a long time since we had a Philips review.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
I'd love to review one. We'll see what we can do! It's been a long time since we had a Philips review.

Great idea, not seen many Philips TV's getting reviewed lately. :)

Offline artur79

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
I find most TV-reviews (like the one above) serverely lacking in documentation that can back up strong expressions like "great contrast and colors". I could have done a better job, for gods sake...
A review signed by you would be a very interesting read indeed. The technology is promising on paper and might be a great alternative to plasmabuzz-allergic film/game-lovers around the world.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
Unless Philips UK undergoes a drastic change in management/ operational philosophy/ PR agency, I'm afraid the company will never send us any TV to review. They have a select clique of journalists to whom they send samples, who they know will give their televisions favourable reviews.

My requests for Philips television review samples over the past few years have fallen on deaf ears. Since this website was launched back in 2007, we have tested a total of 3 Philips HDTVs - 2 I bought myself and 1 kindly loaned by a retailer. Perhaps we have been put on a blacklist since I highlighted that one of its "1080p" TVs was actually converting 1080p/24 video signal to 1080i then back to 1080p causing deinterlacing artefacts:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Philips-37PFL9632D/Calibration/

I am at a loss at what to do. Suggestions?

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2012, 12:11:45 AM »
I was about to reply and say, "If you see a manufacturer not covered on HDTVtest, it's not because we didn't ask for samples" but Vincent put it clearer than that :)

I would love to see some new Philips LCDs though.
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2012, 06:48:51 AM »
Unless Philips UK undergoes a drastic change in management/ operational philosophy/ PR agency, I'm afraid the company will never send us any TV to review. They have a select clique of journalists to whom they send samples, who they know will give their televisions favourable reviews.

From my experience, that's not the case with our local TP Vision office. Some nice people work there, who try to do their jobs good and keep positive image for Philips without putting particular pressure on journalists.
But...

Perhaps we have been put on a blacklist since I highlighted that one of its "1080p" TVs was actually converting 1080p/24 video signal to 1080i then back to 1080p causing deinterlacing artefacts:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Philips-37PFL9632D/Calibration/

...I guess you still have a lot of buggy "features" to explore on a 2012 Philips TVs.
Not to mention that both TVs I reviewed managed to hang up, which can be cured with reset (PC/Router/Smartphone, anyone?), but also they feature an excessive processing which alters sharpness even in 1:1 mode on every picture preset except Game Mode. Which, as you may figure out, has less than pleasurable picture.
I'm definitely not as experienced as David, so I think he would be able to pick up even some more fancies. And if Samsung's undefeatable DNR is a big deal, well, you have to wait for the rest.
Someone may think I'm just being "haters gonna hate" about Philips, but since 2007 I had experience with some of their TVs and each time it was rather odd.
Back in the 2007 the 7000-series TV, which had a Backlight, Brightness and Contrast controls, that directly affected each other (!!!) was a real challenge for me even to go through basic setup. :huh:
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline shimrod

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
Hello

I agree with everything said in the previous posts regarding Philips but I think Moth Eye technology deserves (at least theorically) all efforts from you if possible in order to review that set.

Moth Eye filter was developed between philips and Sharp and in fact the new flagship Sharp models that are going to be released soon in Japan have this filter as main feature

Thank you

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
^ That's the main reason I'd love to check one out. Fingers crossed...
--

FoxyMulder

« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2012, 04:48:31 PM »
Unless Philips UK undergoes a drastic change in management/ operational philosophy/ PR agency, I'm afraid the company will never send us any TV to review.
Warmest regards
Vincent
Is there no chance you could get one to review from a shop perhaps for a review credit at the end, i mean a small retailer that wishes to get some free advertising and in return you get to review the set. ?

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
^^ That's the frustrating thing about Philips. Their distribution network is so messy (in the UK at least) that you can rarely find stock of their flagship TVs anywhere.

Talking of which, the said Philips 46PFL9707 review sample has been damaged in transit. Looks like no other reviewer will be testing one anytime soon:

https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher/status/266520382809456641/photo/1

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
I dont need a Moth Filter, I have 2 cats  :P, Almost forgot about phillips but it would be great to read a review of these models,  :)
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.