• -Gave: 173
  • -Received: 58
    • View Profile
Re: Philips 9707
« Reply #45 on: 04 April 2013, 11:47:55 PM »

The Philips PFL9707 review is up:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/philips-46pfl9707-201304042732.htm
 :clap:
AVForums didn't notice the shortcomings with LD enabled - strange.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #46 on: 05 April 2013, 12:27:58 AM »
Regarding the ANSI measurement pattern, there is only one, the check-board with the 16 rectangles.
I am not familiar with the pattern you mention, can you post an image? I failed to locate it in AVSHD.

But the measurement you report (0.037) suggests that either local dimming was off, or the black level was wrong. Can you report measurements on the ANSI pattern?
The pattern is Chapter 3 in the HCFR section - Center Modified ANSI.

I remeasured just to double check. When any of the dimming options are enabled, the entire screen dims considerably. Therefore, the backlight setting has to be increased so that the overall brightness is comparable to the non-dimmed mode (so that a white window measures our target of 120 cd/m2 or thereabouts).

Without the two assessed on that level playing field, the dimmed result appears significantly less, yes.

Finally, best picture will ignore signal bellow 15-20%, showing black in its place
The 9707 we have here definitely doesn't feature that behavior.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline petasis

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 April 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
What are the contrast & brightness settings of the TV during your measurements? Is there a separate "backlight" control?
(In 9705 is merged with contrast, setting contrast to 70 gives more that 140 cd/m2.)