• Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Sony HW50 3D SXRD Projector Review
« on: 04 December 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-vpl-hw50es-review-201212042380.htm

The VPL-VW50ES is an excellent LCOS projector that can produce detailed, rich, and more uniquely, very film-like images, in a wide variety of installations. It has a lot of essential and desirable features present: high contrast performance, reasonably accurate (although imperfect) greyscale and gamma linearity, accurate colour reproduction, reasonably high quality optics, no visible pixel structure worth mentioning, and a dark frame insertion feature for lovers of the cinema look.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

FoxyMulder

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: Sony HW50 3D SXRD Projector Review
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
Wow, great to see the review is up! I'm gonna enjoy reading it as soon as I get home from work. :)
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

FoxyMulder

« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
Great review, its got me all excited and wanting one, we need a contest though, the first one to name a movie with all white and nothing else in the frame for any length of time wins one of these projectors, or wins a box of Ferrero Roche, any one of those prizes keeps me happy, i can only think offhand and quickly of a few films, 2001: A Space Odyssey, a scene from Alien, maybe The Andromeda Strain and the white room in Resident Evil: Afterlife but, all those scenes have other images in them which are not white.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2012, 11:48:16 PM »
Hey, what a nice surprise :clap:

I'm just too tired to give it a proper read now, although I couldn't resist a quick skim-through ::), but now I'm looking forward to an interesting read ;)

Cheers
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

FoxyMulder

« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
Quick question.

What size of image can you get for about 10.5 feet from the screen. ?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
Great review, its got me all excited and wanting one, we need a contest though, the first one to name a movie with all white and nothing else in the frame for any length of time wins one of these projectors
Hey, that's a movie I'm actually working on. It's called... "100% White Field". 8)
If it succeeds, I would like do make a sequel and call it "109% White Field: Above White". :P
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to shoot some really bright scenes.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2012, 06:57:24 AM by FoxHounder »

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2012, 05:51:15 PM »
Great review, its got me all excited and wanting one, we need a contest though, the first one to name a movie with all white and nothing else in the frame for any length of time wins one of these projectors, or wins a box of Ferrero Roche, any one of those prizes keeps me happy, i can only think offhand and quickly of a few films, 2001: A Space Odyssey, a scene from Alien, maybe The Andromeda Strain and the white room in Resident Evil: Afterlife but, all those scenes have other images in them which are not white.

I know.... 'Winter of 63'. Cracking film that now wheres my PJ  :P
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

FoxyMulder

« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2012, 05:59:42 PM »

I know.... 'Winter of 63'. Cracking film that now wheres my PJ  :P
Maybe they made a sequel to Blue that i'm unaware of, that film had nothing but a blue screen and talking over it, hmmm the sequel was called White and i probably missed the third film which they called Green, Green made people sick and was a flop so Red was never filmed.

@FoxHounder
Looking forward to your masterpiece and its sequel.  :P

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2012, 06:52:47 PM »
Maybe they made a sequel to Blue that i'm unaware of, that film had nothing but a blue screen and talking over it, hmmm the sequel was called White and i probably missed the third film which they called Green, Green made people sick and was a flop so Red was never filmed.

What I want to know is, when is BLUE coming out on HD disc? The SD DVD just doesn't capture the details!
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2012, 07:01:11 PM »

What I want to know is, when is BLUE coming out on HD disc? The SD DVD just doesn't capture the details!
They would probably just try and alter it and make the blue more contrasty and saturated so the image "pops" more.  :lol:

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
They promised a great deal of bonus material called Cyan, too. Hope it doesn't get censored like Magenta. :P

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
Ok I'm like really confused here  :lol:, what's all this colour talk about  :o
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

FoxyMulder

« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
Ok I'm like really confused here  :lol: , what's all this colour talk about  :o
It's aspect ratio is 1.85:1, i suppose to get the complete blue with no black they will crop it a little to 1.78:1.  :P

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2012, 09:14:37 PM »
Ok I'm like really confused here  :lol:, what's all this colour talk about  :o

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106438/ "BLUE"

Derek Jarman's final work is perhaps his most unusual. The visuals are nothing but a solid screen of bright blue. The soundtrack is a montage of sound effects, voice overs, and music.
--

FoxyMulder

« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
I'm not into Facebook ( or social networking - feels kinda unsocial ) i checked your page out though, the December 2nd settings, are these for the Sony projector, if so it says sharpness 50, is this a mistake, 50 seems very high for a projectors sharpness, also what zoom does the Sony have, better than 1.6x of previous models i hope. ?