• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Sony HW50 3D SXRD Projector Review
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

I'd need to check spec sheets re the zoom.

50 seems very high for a projectors sharpness,
The numbers in the on screen display are just choices on their part, there's no relation to the display type. Those settings are from a TV though where 50 was the neutral position.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2012, 06:41:24 PM by David Mackenzie »
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline IcetomLT

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 22
  • -Received: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 December 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
Thank you, David, for another detail and objective review. I am a little bit dissapointed of projectors  based on LCD technolgy motion resolution (native only 300-350).  Your objective measurments confirmed my subjective impression on low motion resolution during demo material watch after friend's Epson 6000 WB calibration. Are 1 or 3 DLP chips projectors better in this department, closer to plasma TV motion resolution?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
Good question. I'll be able to tell you more once we get some DLP review samples, which I hope will be soon!
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline JL_?

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 164
  • -Received: 195
  • M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2012, 01:39:49 AM »
A friend's BenQ W20000 gave an equivalent result of around 400-500 lines of motion resolution (APDC at 6,5ppf)...

Let's see how the new models fare when David gets one on the bench...  ;)
Not what man knows, but what man feels concerns art. All else is science...
-Bernard Berenson, 1897-

Offline JL_?

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 164
  • -Received: 195
  • M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2013, 01:58:43 AM »
A friend's BenQ W20000 gave an equivalent result of around 400-500 lines of motion resolution (APDC at 6,5ppf)...

Let's see how the new models fare when David gets one on the bench...  ;)

Had the chance to test the motion resolution of a BenQ W1070 with APDC at 6,5ppf... Nothing new to report...  ;D
Not what man knows, but what man feels concerns art. All else is science...
-Bernard Berenson, 1897-

Offline MarcWessels

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 173
  • -Received: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
It's a shame, that the European model isn't near as good in terms of greyscale accuracy than the US model-> http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-projectors/sony-vpl-hw50es/4505-7858_7-35616136-2.html

They eben go that far to call the "Reference mode" fire & forget.  8)

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
The models are the same worldwide. That's just unit to unit variation.
--

Offline MarcWessels

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
I was afraid, that you are gonna to say that.  ;D

Offline MarcWessels

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 October 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
But anyways, with all of the problems with TVs these days, I think I will convert to be a projector user with a Draper 2.1-2.35:1-screen these holidays. Hopefully 1,24 metres screenheight should do the trick.  ;D

I plan to follow the THX recommandations and to place my couch where I would be 1,86 metres away (screenheight x 1,5). I really hope, I won't be disappointed.

How do you constant height people watch BDs like The Dark Knight with their different AR throughout the movie? 2.35:1 all long, which cut out the bottom and top of the 1.78:1-shots?
« Last Edit: 24 October 2013, 07:34:52 AM by MarcWessels »

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
How do you constant height people watch BDs like The Dark Knight with their different AR throughout the movie? 2.35:1 all long, which cut out the bottom and front of the 1.78:1-shots?
I'd guess that'd be my chosen approach... those mixed ratio releases are nuts!
--

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline mayya

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2013, 06:07:48 AM »
I have the VW500ES on order. It will be on demo at my house with a 4k media server kindly supplied by those nice people at Sony. Expected early October. Can't wait!

Offline Home Theater Austin

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
This could be one of the TOP PROJECTOR BRANDS FOR A GREAT HOME THEATER.
You can check out his article.
http://kzaudiovideo.com/top-projector-brands-for-a-great-home-theater-experience/

FoxyMulder

« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
The thing with DLP is that contrast has not improved over the years, that is because Texas Instruments have not actually updated their chipsets, it's all down to the manufacturer improving the light path to increase the contrast, that only happens on the expensive models and it's why a Sim Lumis has a native contrast of around 18000:1, unfortunately projectors like the BenQW7500 ( review please ) only manage around 1800:1 to 1900:1 native contrast, that's with iris off or clamped down and in a dark room ideal setting and 100 or so inch screen.

Now people look at that figure above and think it's bad, well consider this, your local cinema with it's expensive Christie or Barco digital projector only achieves a native contrast of around 2000:1, now also consider the other benefits of a DLP, better screen uniformity, better motion, much better crosstalk free 3D, usually a sharper image even with a cheaper lens and a sealed light path so no dust blobs, some of these models are light cannons too so perfect for larger screens or those seeking great 3D performance, yes the JVC projectors offer great native contrast but in all the other departments a great and relatively cheap DLP outperforms them.

If you are happy with cinema black levels and can mask off the black bars area while viewing films then i think most people would be very happy with a DLP, all depends on whether you are prone to seeing rainbows too but if you don't see them and you love watching 3D films then i think you could probably live with the lower contrast level compared to competing tech.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2014, 08:42:35 PM by FoxyMulder »