Author Topic:

Question on horizontal black bars (Pioneer PDP-LX508D)

(Read 16864 times)

Offline akarelias

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Question on horizontal black bars (Pioneer PDP-LX508D)
« on: 08 June 2008, 11:23:15 PM »

i am relatively new to the Home Cinema business and excuse my limited knowledge.

One of the problems I have with 16:9 DVD movies (including Blu-Ray) is the fact that whenever I watch such a movie there are black bands on the top and on the bottom of my 508D Pioneer television.

The same applies when I use the Dot-to-Dot adjustment as well. The only way to have the full screen active is when I use the Zoom feature, but then parts of the movie are not visible.

Since the movies are in 16:9 format and my television is also 16:9, should I be able to watch the movies in the entire screen?

I am using HDMI connection. My Panasonic Blu-Ray player is connected, via 1.3a HDMI cable, with my Onkyo 875 amplifier/receiver, which in turn is connected, via HDMI 1.3a cable, with the Pioneer television. I have tried to check all settings in the Panasonic Player, the Onkyo receiver and the Pioneer television, but until now I have not managed to solve the problem.

can anyone help me here please?

best regards

Andrew

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Question on horizontal black bars (Pioneer PDP-LX508D)
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
This is a common misconception. Regardless of the format (be it DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD), films come in a variety of different shapes and sizes. The most common aspect ratio (2.35:1) is designed to give a wide viewing experience at the cinema and doesn't fit a TV, which isn't as wide.

So, what you're seeing is normal and what the filmmaker intended, so don't worry. You can read more about aspect ratios here:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!