• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Sharp LC-60LE635E LED TV problem - unequal lighting
« on: 26 January 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

Hello,
I bought my Sharp LC-60LE635E last week. It has a very serious problem.

After it has been on for 10-15 minutes, an area right next to the bottom edge (about 40-45% from the left edge) starts illuminating too strong. This area then keeps growing. After 30 minutes it is clearly visible, after 60 minutes very disturbing, after 2 hours unbearable: 20cm broad and 5cm tall area of extremely high lighting.

The problem goes away after the TV has been off for quite some time.

Is this a known issue?
What should I do?
Thank you in advance!

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Sharp LC-60LE635E LED TV problem - unequal lighting
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
That's standard for LED LCD TVs. The Sharps I've seen do have the problem more visibly than others though.

Screen uniformity on edge-lit LED LCD TVs is never very good; if it's a problem for you, talk to your retailer and see if you can get a refund (a replacement might be better, but won't be free of the problem).
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Garfield

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
That's standard for LED LCD TVs. The Sharps I've seen do have the problem more visibly than others though.

Screen uniformity on edge-lit LED LCD TVs is never very good; if it's a problem for you, talk to your retailer and see if you can get a refund (a replacement might be better, but won't be free of the problem).

Thanks David!

The funny part?
It never appears when extending my PC's display (via HDMI) and playing all kinds of videos. It's just there when watching TV (via Scart). Refreshing rate allergy maybe?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
If it's caused by the panel, it'll appear on everything (although won't be visible on some shades/colours). Perhaps those inputs also have a lower Backlight setting?
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Garfield

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2013, 06:49:14 PM »
If it's caused by the panel, it'll appear on everything (although won't be visible on some shades/colours). Perhaps those inputs also have a lower Backlight setting?

I'm a moron. It doesn't show only because a Windows screen projected on it leaves a 1cm margin on top and bottom. And of course unequal lighting doesn't show on black.

Thanks David, I'll try to bring this baby back! My only problem is that the problem comes and goes, so hopefully nobody demands to see the defect!
« Last Edit: 28 January 2013, 06:57:34 PM by Garfield »