• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 164
  • -Received: 195
  • M.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic ST60 Review
« Reply #45 on: 03 June 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

I was looking forward to buy a 42ST60 but not sure if the image retention and burn-in issues are completely resolved on ST60. Most of the blu-ray disc I possess are wide screen presentations which means the black bars on the screen may damage the screen in the long run?

As David said, of all static material, letterbox bars have the least danger of causing burn-in or persistent image retention. That is of course, if you take some care that the set displays also some full screen video inbetween...  ;)

What I do as a precaution, is playing at least 5-20 minutes full screen video or scrolling bar after a movie with black bars in order to clear up any temporary image retention. With over 50% of the time usage being with 2,35:1 or 4:3 material, I never had any problem on a 42U10 and a 50UT50 so far (for 6100 and 700 hrs, respectively).
Not what man knows, but what man feels concerns art. All else is science...
-Bernard Berenson, 1897-

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Panasonic Convention 2013 - Mon 11th Feb
« Reply #46 on: 03 June 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
I don't even go to those lengths - my normal content viewing is enough.

If all you ever watch is letterboxed movies though,you might end up with a problem.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!