Author Topic:

How to know when is time to replace lamp/bulb in projector?

(Read 12670 times)

Offline IcetomLT

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 22
  • -Received: 8
    • View Profile
How to know when is time to replace lamp/bulb in projector?
« on: 20 February 2013, 12:14:41 PM »

I need advice as I am not experienced with projectors. Friend bought used Epson TW5800 (European version). In menu it shows that lamp worked about 1450 hours. When I measure luminance (from about 30-50 cm distance from the screen) on 100 % window patern, from AVCHD709 disc on his 1.4 gain grey screen with my iDisplay Pro and Calman 5, I get following readings:
- Live picture profile -> 9-10 fl with low/normal lamp setting
- Natural picture profile -> only about 6-7 fl. with low/normal lamp setting

Does this mean, that lamp should be replaced? What approximate luminance should I get with new lamp with Epson projector from about 2,8 meter distance (throw). Or in other words, how to know objectively and subjectively when is time to replace the lamp?

I would appreciate for advices.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: How to know when is time to replace lamp/bulb in projector?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
That's hard to say. The light output of the projector also depends on the zoom setting (projector having to fill a larger screen = dimmer picture).
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline IcetomLT

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
Hello David,

May be you remember from your Epson review, what luminance it reached. Approximate would be enough...

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
I didn't do any measurements off the screen, sorry. 7 foot lamberts does sound quite low though, unless it's an especially big screen. The Epson I recently reviewed was certainly one of the brighter projectors I've seen lately.

How much are new lamps?
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline IcetomLT

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
I don't know prices for Epson bulbs, David. I just got interested how to know when is a time to change lamp as I myself think to buy projector :).

FoxyMulder

« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
I don't know prices for Epson bulbs, David. I just got interested how to know when is a time to change lamp as I myself think to buy projector :) .
The instruction manual should give a general idea of how long a bulb can last but generally speaking its also a question of when you think the image has become too dull, our eyes adjust therefore, even though the bulb has aged and may be just 40% of the original brightness, we get used to it, we don't perceive it as a 60% light reduction, in other words we tend to accept it and still enjoy the movie or tv show.

All i would say is do not go over the hours indicated in the manual because bulbs can sometimes explode. ( rare )