• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
Re: Sony 2013 LED LCD TVs (W9/ W8/ W6)
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Excellent review, Vincent ;D Thanks :)

Looks like Sony are stepping up their game...

I think it'd be great if all of the major companies were more or less on par when the age of OLED finally arrives. Having Sony in the top tier again would restore some balance to the Universe ;D (Although I am a fan of Panasonic, too)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline mrb1972

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Just when I was all set to try the Samsung F8000 the Sony comes along to make me think twice, I see both get great reviews on there, but which one is better?

Offline techpeter

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
Vincent, Very good review indeed. Sony is sure to changing the game!
but I am little disappointed with the narrow viewing angles. HDTV is still a huge investment as we dont change sets so often. If you want to enjoy a movie with family we wont sit in a row. 20 degree angle and AUO panel reminds me of my Samsung EH5000. I enjoy the PQ but as I said, it''s only me...my wife doesn;t .  :(

I also hope that this problem is persistent on all W9 sets. As I am scared to find myself becoming a victim to another "SONY" Panel Lottery :bash:. Hope Sony reads this posts.

Its a shame that after paying the hefty cost we still have to compromise on PQ. if you get good calibrated colours, you loose viewing angle. if you get viewing angle (plasma) u worry about IR and burn-in and power consumption. then you have a good black level but the input lag is high.. :help:

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
Just been looking at this range with the Sony Rep in Curry's. A truely amazing range of tv's. :o

Offline loopthrough

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2013, 11:56:46 PM »

I believe it's an AUO panel.

Warmest regards
Vincent

It's a Samsung SPVA / PSA panel.

R4 uses LG in 32", Samsung in 40" and 46".
W6 uses LG or AUO MVA
W8 uses LG
W9 uses Samsung
X9 uses LG

Offline turulli

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
yesterday I could try in a shop a 55w905 with a few scenes of "The Hobbit" 1080p bluray untouched put in a mkv

I'm really disappointed by the picture quality of the images, my last tv is a 40es8000 and it's much much better with regard to definition, sharpness, detail and cleaning of the painting

the sony seemed like a HDReady TV, pixels and lines were more dirty and bold, I tried to change the setting of the reality creation, picture modes, etc. etc.,
but nothing has changed, and the image was not like a plasma, softer and smooth than a LED, but it seems like with less resolution or if you are were watching a dirty movie in 720p or sd

then I tried a samsung 55f8000, and it was a whole other world, sharp images, full of details

I do not know really what to think

@ vincent

it is possible that the internal mediaplayer of the sony is the cause of this?

you've observed that the internal mediaplayer make the PQ much worse then an external device?
« Last Edit: 26 May 2013, 08:59:47 AM by turulli »

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2013, 01:06:30 AM »
Turulli, what program did you use to make the MKV from the disc?
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline turulli

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
I just used mkvmerge to make a remux of the m2ts to mkv, and to cut only a few scenes

the hobbit in bluray for me has an incredible image quality, among the best I've seen
so I'm really disappointed by the performance of the W905 that I've tried
my doubt is that the internal usb mediaplayer that don't works  properly,
unfortunately I have not had a chance to try it with a bluray in the store

so my question is, have you tried to see if a file seen from the internal mediaplayer of the sony w905 has a very much worse quality and definition than when using HTPC or an external device connected to hdmi?

I also tried the same file on a 55f8000, again from the media player with usb stick, and to me there is no match between these two tv, on the F8000 the picture was much better and full of details

i realy can't believe that there is so much gap between these tv, that's why I asked you the performance of the internal mediaplayer of sony :)

i tried also a few scene of django, that have a more soft image than the hobbit and with colors more on beige

and then cloud atlas that have a more dirty image with some noise on the picture, always scenes taken from bluray untouched and put in a mkv with mkvmerge

with django and cloud atlas on the sony,always from usb, it was embarrassing and very bad
they did not seem hd images

I was going to buy a 55w905 this year, but if it works in the same way with an external devices then this is not for me

p.s.

I played a little bit with the settings on sony, this was the settings

picture mode: standard
backlight : 6
noise reduction: off
mpeg noise reduction: off
reality creation
resolution: 30
noise filtering: min
smooth gradation: i've tried all settings

the other options was default

thx

« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 03:30:44 PM by turulli »

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Hit SCENE on the remote and choose the Cinema mode. That'll get you more on the way to accuracy than "Standard" (which is actually anything but!)

I've not tested the performance of the internal media player. Provided you're sure that the tool you're using is just lifting the video from the BD and not doing any kind of reencoding, there must be some design limitation...
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline EVILid

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
Please master ^^  test the w6 and w8  :worthy:

Offline Phantoma

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2013, 01:46:31 AM »
The Sony KDL55W905A review proves that it is possible to get an excellent input lag result on a big screen LED LCD TV. 
So, if Sony can do it then Panasonic and Samsung have no excuses and aren't even trying.
Samsung PS58C7000 plasma, Samsung BD-C5900, Tvix PVR R-2230, Xbox 360 slim 250GB.

Offline Helvetica Bold

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
I just ordered the W9 and I'm very excited, especially I'm planing on also getting a PS4.
Vincent do you publish your calibration settings? Forgive me, Im new to this site and would like a starting point when I get the new TV.

Offline stormy

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Sony will output DTS via optical from an external source, USB etc? Its not listed in the specification, yet a Polish site claimed it has the DTS licensing logo.

Thanks.

Offline DarthCaine

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
Any chance of reviewing W6 soon? That's the only one in my price range and I'm very interested in the input lag and 4:4:4 chroma support since I wanna use it as a PC monitor

Offline mrknox

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
tnx for the Sony KDL55W905A 3D LED TV Review. I got the sony W5500, and have the calibration settings from the review on this site. and iam really happy With the Picture on it. Is it Worth upgrading to the W9? and will you post the calibration settings for this tv??

tnx alot, hdtvtest is the best=)