• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: Sony 2013 LED LCD TVs (W9/ W8/ W6)
« Reply #180 on: 29 June 2014, 02:32:30 PM »

^^ SETEM is right. In a pitch black room, I would say 97 cd/m2 is enough. A couple of posters here even lower their peak luminance to around 80 cd/m2.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline High Templar

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 29 June 2014, 06:06:55 PM »
Ok cool.

However would you prever a Plasma instead of the W905 for gaming? I always fear IR and burn in.
Though i wonder aswell how close the W905 performs in games compared to a Plasma.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 29 June 2014, 09:33:24 PM »
Ok cool.

However would you prever a Plasma instead of the W905 for gaming? I always fear IR and burn in.
Though i wonder aswell how close the W905 performs in games compared to a Plasma.
I've always been a (console) gamer and I always used to prefer LCD before. However, after I got used to a Panasonic S10 plasma, there was never any real reason for me to go back to LCD/LEDLCD, image retention or not. Better blacks and MUCH sharper motion, with what I felt was generally more realistic colours was what sold me at first. Intra-scene contrast will (generally) be a lot better, and I think this must be true even if the black levels were equal, simply because of the ways the two technologies work - The light output of a pixel doesn't affect it's neighbouring pixels in the way it does on an LCD. Better viewing angles, better screen uniformity and no light blooming/bleed during dark scenes are also benefits, though I had never really suffered these beforehand anyway.

Never had burn-in (permanent), though I've had a few very scary encounters with image retention (temporary). With a bit of care taken, it's not an issue, though. (Hypothetically speaking though, I still might rather have had a burnt-in ammo counter, life bar or channel logo in some corner along with all the "pro's" of a plasma than live with all the "con's" of LCD. Even my friend's LG plasma outperforms most LCD's/LEDLCD's in terms of overall PQ, in my view... It smokes them all in motion resolution.)

I cannot speak for the motion resolution of LCD with BFI, though, and I imagine it should be perceived as pretty close or equal to that of plasma... If I had to buy LCD again, I'd probably get one with BFI especially with regards to gaming ;)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 29 June 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
Ok cool.

It's great.
I'm a massive gamer and a ex plasma owner my last plasma being the VT50.
I got the w905 and out the box it's very accurate.  It also has a extremely low input lag in game mode.
I play with some bias lighting and it looks great.
Would I go back to plasma if my eyes didn't see flicker? Short answer no.
I can game for hours on end with large huds on screen and never worry about image retention or burn (which is more rare).

The w905 is one of the best tvs I've owned and the best for gaming that i've used.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline High Templar

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 29 June 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
So you do not use the impulse mode from what i understand? Why?

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 30 June 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
I got the w905 and out the box it's very accurate.  It also has a extremely low input lag in game mode.
I can game for hours on end with large huds on screen and never worry about image retention or burn (which is more rare).
High Templar, if you are almost exclusively going to play games on the TV, then going with a plasma might not be the best choice. Not because you "definitely will burn it!", but simply because you will probably want to take some extra care not to get excessive IR. If all you will be using it for is playing through for example Assassin's Creed with no other games or content in-between whatsoever, and then move on to another game and do the same, you will probably get IR and some extra worry... Quoted above are some very good points! Sure, I'd probably go with plasma anyway, but that doesn't mean I'd blindly recommend it for everyone else.

(PS: If you are considering plasma, I should mention that my friend is a gamer and he says he NEVER has IR for more than 1-2 minutes on his 60" LG plasma, no matter how long he plays a game... A big LG PDP can be had cheap in my country, and the PQ is very good, although not up to par with Panasonic and the better Samsungs. Input-lag seems good, as he ranks well in online shooters, although the Sony may well be faster. Sony have been an excellent choice for gamers lately! FWIW :))
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline High Templar

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 01 July 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
One last Question then:

My hx755 uses XR 400Hz.
The W905 uses XRM 800hz.

Does that mean that Impulse will have even better motion Resolution then my Hx 755?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 01 July 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Does that mean that Impulse will have even better motion Resolution then my Hx 755?
No, not necessarily. In fact, those "Hz" are not true refresh rates. It's some synthetic rating they use for motion.
So, they'll be much more similar than those numbers say.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline High Templar

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 01 July 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
Allright then the W905 it is going to be hopefully.  :clap:

Though i wonder if i should choose Film mode 2 over 1 in Impulse mode since it does no interpolation.
You guys always recommanded Film mode 1 with the Clear/Clear Plus because of glitches.
So does that apply to impulse aswell?