• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
Projector Screen ?
« on: 19 May 2013, 05:35:54 PM »

Can anyone help with this question from Cult Labs Forum:

"  We're looking at doing an extension to our house, which will be a bigger lounge room for the Mrs & I.
I'd like to put a projector in there, with a 100" screen. It will need to be a roll up screen, which will come down over the front of our plasma, which we'll use for casual viewing. Any ideas on what to look for in a screen? The projector I'm looking at is an Epson TW-6100. Distance from pj to screen will be about 3.6 metres. Any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated, as I know next to nothing about projector set ups.
Lincoln. "

Cheers. :)

FoxyMulder

Re: Projector Screen ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
Can anyone help with this question from Cult Labs Forum:

"  We're looking at doing an extension to our house, which will be a bigger lounge room for the Mrs & I.
I'd like to put a projector in there, with a 100" screen. It will need to be a roll up screen, which will come down over the front of our plasma, which we'll use for casual viewing. Any ideas on what to look for in a screen? The projector I'm looking at is an Epson TW-6100. Distance from pj to screen will be about 3.6 metres. Any suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated, as I know next to nothing about projector set ups.
Lincoln. "

Cheers. :)
Is it going to be a light controlled room, i'd recommend a Beamax screen, cheapest quality screens on the market, probably around 180 - 250 for a decent pull down screen from them, it will be 106 inches though.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 08:57:52 PM »
I think spending money on light control in the room - that is, blacking out the ceiling and walls near where the screen is going to go with non-reflective fabric or other material - is more important than the quality of the screen.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline venkatesh_m

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 11
  • -Received: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
I agree with what David said, but in case the projector is to be in a environment that cannot be blacked out, u can look at some of the specialty screens out there.

I have been pretty impressed with the DNP Supernova's ability to do well in a room with light coloured walls and ceiling.

Black Diamond is also not too bad. The 1.4 gain version does seem to be slightly more fussy in installation, but the 0.8 gain version will be slightly better I believe.

The React 2.1 is also supposed to be good, but I hv not seen them in person.

However, these screens cost quite a bit more than the usual.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
Good point. I remember being impressed by the Supernova when I saw it at JVC years ago.

Even still, blacking out the room is a good thing. Even if a very expensive angled screen helps the contrast performance in a non-optimal room... the room is still going to be lighting up and distracting during bright scenes, which isn't much of a cinema experience. I still have this problem since my room isn't 100% dedicated yet - the contrast is fine, but I can still see the other stuff I have in here at points during the film. I want to be totally immersed! Some day...
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
The screen is important, if you buy an ultra cheap one you get issues with crinkles, that is a no go when viewing a good movie, i mention the Beamax screens because i have one and it's pretty cheap and is good quality and doesn't crinkle, as for Black Diamond, i doubt the person wants to spend that much, they want a cheap quality one which will do the job, to say the screen isn't as important as light control is off base, both go hand in hand, a decent quality screen AND some light control.