• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Sony KDL42W653 - Review / calibration settings
« on: 06 August 2013, 01:17:48 PM »

Hi All,

Just wondered if there was any plans to do a review of the Sony KDL42W653 and also to provide the calibration settings for this TV?

Thanks...

Offline Ocean-Ripple

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sony KDL42W653 - Review / calibration settings
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
Review now up: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

Great in-depth review as usual, think that has convinced me to get this for my next TV to be used mainly for gaming...  Been happy with my HD-ready set for now, but with the next gen consoles and a move to actual 1080p content around the corner this upgrade makes sense.

Also very interested in hearing what [Cinema 1] and [Game] settings you guys ended up with to achieve the post calibration results you got for the review.

Keep up the good work. :)
« Last Edit: 11 August 2013, 04:52:39 PM by Ocean-Ripple »

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline YORKYUK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Cheers...

Offline starman

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
please can someone post Calibration Settings for the Sony KDL42W653?

Offline T101

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
I am also looking for calibration settings for the kdl32w653, nice review, but no settings list at the end  :( They used to put it at the end of there reviews! What happened!

Offline YORKYUK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
I have emailed them saying their customers/readers want the calibration settings, but they have not replied.

It's easy to include the calibration settings at the end of each review, so it's annoying that they wont do it.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2013, 09:58:47 PM »
Have you read this?:

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7202.0

I am also looking for calibration settings for the kdl32w653, nice review, but no settings list at the end  :( They used to put it at the end of there reviews! What happened!

Preset modes got better, is what happened. Most TVs now can put out a respectable image in their Cinema or Movie mode, and in reviews we'll talk about what settings need adjusted to improve things further.

HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline YORKYUK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
Thanks for the forum link.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding the settings not producing the same outcome on two identical TV's etc.

I think most readers understand this and that each persons viewing environment will be different and require amending the calibration settings to accommodate for this.

I think the main reason there is a demand for the calibration settings for a TV is that it gives us a guide on how to set up the TV and we can use our own judgement to them amend / adjust the settings to our own viewing environment.

The fact that most of us don't have access to calibration devices and software means the settings your reviewers use could be a great help when we try to set-up our own TV's. 

Some people wouldn't know which of the extra processing settings to use or not or what levels to have them and making your calibration settings available helps to educate which extra processing settings are no good on each TV reviewed etc.

At the end of the day the Website has it's reasons as mentioned in the Link you provided on why it does not provide calibration settings, but if there is a demand from readers then why not meet their needs and provide the calibration settings while at the same time including the disclaimer message?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2013, 07:00:55 AM »
It's easy to include the calibration settings at the end of each review, so it's annoying that they wont do it.
I measured colors on 42W653 at my friend's house. Once properly set, it didn't need any calibration tweaking.
It's as easy as selecting an appropriate picture preset (Cinema, etc.) and disabling all the annoying needless processing. If you try to apply somebody's white balance settings, you'll definitely make your W653 a bit worse in terms of accuracy.

Usually, the basic aspects of setting up a TV properly are discussed in HDTVtest review text. They pretty much have all the needed settings incorporated in review.
Also, everybody can try and learn the setup basics by downloading AVS HD Rec.709 test disc and carefully reading its manual on how to setup Brightness, Contrast, etc.

Simply sharing particular setting for each model would be a matter of "monkey see, monkey do" copy-pasting, rather than educational or something.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2013, 07:04:11 AM by FoxHounder »
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline ithehappy

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2013, 12:31:33 AM »
Hi, I just got this set a month back and I love it. I read the review of you guys on the product usually, but one thing I would like to know. Normally you guys used Cinema 1 preset to further calibrate the TV, but did you guys keep default colour temp, i.e Warm 2, or changed it to Warm 1?
I never quite figured out which one I should use, most times I find Warm 2 better, but for some things (like sports) I like the Warm 1 better. One is little too reddish/yellowish and the other too cool!
Kindly reply, will appreciate it.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2013, 10:08:54 PM »
We use the default Warm2, but it's usually a bit too red, which is why we generally have to correct it using the white balance controls.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline saurav

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2013, 04:18:51 PM »
@Vincent: Thanks for replying. Would you mind sharing the White Balance details, which neutralizes the reddish tint? I have turned Clear white to High, and under W.B turned down R gain and bias to -1, and turned up B bias to +1. Isn't Warm 1 too cool to use?
Btw, this is 'ithehappy', for whatever reason my account is locked, so I was forced to create this one.

Offline harlekin

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
I've just calibrated my 40W650 today using a i1 Display Pro and can confirm that there is a high variance in calibrating greyscale an colors on that model. Like color gain green -5 kind of variance.

But I'm primarily posting here to ask a question.

When you only have two point calibration on your model, and could choose between higher DeltaE (still sub 3) greyscale, or higher (still sub 3) DeltaE color configurations, which would you choose? Which should I choose?

In the "less accurate greyscale" scenario IRE 30 to 100 are pretty much accurate, while at IRE 0 and 10 green and red are spot on but blue enters at just below 120% at IRE 0 and still is at about 108% at IRE 10.

Color accuracy improves quite a bit though, even in the secondaries (all changes sub DeltaE of 3).

Will post the meassuerement tables as soon as Im back home.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 07:03:55 PM by harlekin »

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
Hi

Theoretically, if dE is below 3 for both greyscale and colour, then it should make no difference since you won't be able to see the inaccuracy in real-life content anyway.

But, if you really really want to lower dE, you should prioritise greyscale which affects all colours. :)

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline harlekin

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Received: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
Thank you very much for your swift and nevertheless detailed reply. :)
-

If others are still interested, here are the two graphs promised.

It is very interesting to see, that the second CIE diagram is very close to the one in your review. So I guess panels (not models :) ) do carry a certain characteristic.. :)
-

One of a gain-1/-5/0,offset-1/-1/-1 greyscale

One of a gain-1/-5/0,offset-2/-1/-2 greyscale

-
« Last Edit: 20 May 2014, 12:20:20 AM by harlekin »