• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: PS4.
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2013, 05:30:55 PM »

Doing internal 3D conversion with any meaningful result is really difficult. And I wouldn't be surprised if we never see glasses-free 3D as a real mainstream workable product - at least not on this attempt. Maybe we'll be due another 3D resurgence in the next decades once they can do it effortlessly. Who knows...

Had a play with one of these in Toys-R-Us (which i seem to check out every time i'm in NY) and wasn't that impressed with the games on the PS4. The controller is gorgeous - melts into your hands. But the games I tried had choppy frame rates despite being just 1080p. That'll improve over time I guess (rush to get out launch titles) but the days where I saw new console launches and wowed over the graphics seem to be in the past.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2013, 10:55:40 PM »
I wonder in years to come if glasses free and maybe internal 3D conversion that looks as good as studio based will ever be a reality?  :chin:
I wouldn't buy into glasses free 3D, it means no pop out and i love depth and pop out, at the moment Hollywood is force feeding us mostly depth, Pixar animation is especially disappointing.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2013, 07:15:50 AM »
We got PS4 in for review. I spent not so much time with it, but the first impressions are generally good.

It's a sleek piece of hardware. The ventilation system is good, although it may be noisy when hardware is strongly pushed in a game like Killzone: Shadow Fall.

The controller is great. DualShock 4 feels great in hands, and its internal speaker comes as a surprise once you find some of the audio logs in Killzone. It literally speaks in your hands with a "bad dictaphone record" effect! It literally catches you off guard playing at 3:00 AM.

The graphics is, well, next-gen in the most titles. Killzone may be the best showcase for now - it's very pretty, great light and shadows (distinct 3D-effect on high contrast TVs), and resolution is native 1080p with stable framerate. I'm sure there'll be more great games coming with the likes of InFamous: Second Son.

Some disappointment came with the multimedia features. There are literally none for now. Expect for basic Blu-Ray playing, which is not as flexible as PS3. When you go to the video playback settings, it only allowes you to switch 24p on Auto or Off. That page has loads of options on PS3.

I'm sure they'll sort things out in a future updates, but for now the console is really #4TheGamers. If you care about playing more than watching 3D Blu-Ray or listening to MP3, then it may soon become your main gaming platform. The hardware turned out to be good and balanced, and PS4 outperforms Xbox One in some multiplatform titles. It's definitely worth checking out, especially when more big games will come around in 2014.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Thanks Misha, looks like it's early day's for the PS4 and I am sure things will improve over the coming weeks. Are there any other video options for Blu Ray playback and audio that might not have been on the PS3?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Are there any other video options for Blu Ray playback and audio that might not have been on the PS3?
Nope. In fact, the options look very simplified. Even the video output is fully automatized: the console automatically chooses resolution, Full/Limited RGB range, etc. (And does so correctly, which is quite surprising).
Looks like it sends HDMI Content Type flag - my Panasonic keeps switching Game Mode on whenever PS4 is connected) That's a good news for modern TV owners. They don't have to fiddle with anything, the PS4 does everything automatically. Even the menu hint says, "don't touch anything unless you have a problem with video settings". :P

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
It's interesting, because the Xbox One review didn't attract fanboys from the other side.

I always found this aspect of gaming culture very interesting. If only Panasonic vs Samsung owners were as vocal against each other  :rofl:
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2013, 02:48:27 PM »
It's interesting, because the Xbox One review didn't attract fanboys from the other side.
I'm surprised it didn't. And Xbox People are described really good in latest South Park episodes about Black Friday/console wars. :rofl:

If only Panasonic vs Samsung owners were as vocal against each other  :rofl:
I'm afraid, every thread would go into "LED hit the Plasma fan"-mode rather quickly in that case. :lol:

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 December 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
Seems to be a problem with the review page, no comments showing a and adverts all over the place. :chin:

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 218
  • -Received: 265
  • It's because I'm green isn't it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
anyone got an ps4 yet, still waitng for mine(ruddy sony pull your finger out)
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
Still trying to talk my wife into getting me one.But nowhere seems to have any.

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 December 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
Still trying to talk my wife into getting me one.But nowhere seems to have any.
yeah is bad aint it, I ordered mine before launch and im still waiting. :bash:
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 January 2014, 05:58:10 PM »
my PS4 with knack and a year of ps+ should be with me on Monday or Tuesday :-)
Expect my thoughts on another thread. Maybe a review of knack.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 January 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
my PS4 with knack and a year of ps+ should be with me on Monday or Tuesday :-)
Expect my thoughts on another thread. Maybe a review of knack.
lucky boy, Nothing on mine yet, I have fifa and the kilzone, coming with mine, but have knack and need for speed rivals already.

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 January 2014, 07:51:06 PM »
Where did you order from mate?