Offline Hitman13

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 4
  • -Received: 5
    • View Profile
Xbox one or ps4?
« on: 30 August 2013, 10:42:10 PM »

Hi, i was just wondering which games console you prefer PS4 or XBOX ONE  ??? Also, has any one pre-ordered the PS4 or XBOX?

thanks
hitman13

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox one or ps4?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
Hi, i was just wondering which games console you prefer PS4 or XBOX ONE  ???
Well, for me it's not about console, it's about the games. And both PS4 and Xbox One won't have much system sellers out on launch (at least, for me). Say, MGS 5: The Phantom Pain, etc.
I prefer to stick with PS3 these holidays, because it will have Beyond: Two Souls, Gran Turismo 6 and other top games to catch.

If we talk strictly about the hardware, then it's PS4 all the way for me. I just hate the "bricky" external power supply of Xbox 360, and the fact that Xbox One has the biggest case size AND the external power supply just doesn't compute for me. What were they thinking? :huh:
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Seifer_A

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 8
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2013, 08:24:44 PM »

If we talk strictly about the hardware, then it's PS4 all the way for me. I just hate the "bricky" external power supply of Xbox 360, and the fact that Xbox One has the biggest case size AND the external power supply just doesn't compute for me. What were they thinking? :huh:

I think they've gone down the the big case size, external power supply route so as to avoid any red ring of death scenarios :lol: I wouldn't mind a games console looking a bit bulky and ugly as long as it didn't melt during a gaming session :lol:

But it's PS4 for me, I've always owned Playstation's, I remember the launch of the game changing PS1, amazing days they were.

Sony say that they've made the PS4 far easier to programme on, the PS3 is notoriously difficult to get the best out of it, most developers don't bother trying too hard... that's probably one of the reasons the PS3 has generally had the worst looking and performing multi format games, it has suffered terribly from lazy X360 ports.

I can't believe Microsoft survived the whole Red Ring thing "This is my 4th X360 in 6 months!", and they still kept buying them! :o

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2013, 02:57:08 AM »
Kinda hard to say since neither are out.

I don't have much interest in modern video games (they try too hard to imitate movies) but if I end up with either, it's more likely to be PS4 at this stage owed to Microsoft's inept marketing and would-be-DRM.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Adlermann

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 48
  • -Received: 134
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2013, 12:30:50 PM »

I don't have much interest in modern video games (they try too hard to imitate movies) but if I end up with either, it's more likely to be PS4 at this stage owed to Microsoft's inept marketing and would-be-DRM.

I agree with both points :)

I really prefer old school gaming...What happened to rocket jumps ;(
panasonic tx-p55vt60 | Panasonic DBT 360 | Mac Mini 2011 base model | Denon 1911 AVR | Wharfedale diamond 10.5, CM, 10.1 | Playstation 4 | Super Nintentdo Entertainment System | Beer

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2013, 01:56:25 PM »
I really prefer old school gaming...What happened to rocket jumps ;(
Nothing happened, judging by Rise of the Triads crazy speed. ;)

Offline Seifer_A

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 8
  • -Received: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
The thing with old school games is, speaking personally, I tend to look back at them through rose tinted glasses. Games from years ago do have a kind of hypnotic simplicity to them, at the same time, they are quite limited in storyline and game play terms.
The Revenge Of Shinobi on the Mega Drive was amazing in it's day, but I'd much rather play Ninja Gaiden  ;D
Old games are quite hardcore as well, one hit deaths, having to remember routines and patterns. Modern games have more flexibility and spontaneity, the game play isn't as rigid as old school games. They are becoming more cinematic though, nothing wrong with that, the problem is if they become too movie like we'll end up doing more watching than playing, and the game play will amount to nothing more than the odd button press here and there.
Casual gamers would ruin everything if given the chance! The more casual gamers that play games, the more developers will cater for their semi skilled take it or leave it ways, and we'd end up with by-the-numbers, mediocre titles, that care more about the bottom line than art.
Someone who plays games on a tablet isn't a real gamer, he/she is the epitome of casual. I think games have had their golden age, and I fear that we are perhaps entering the gaming end times :o I hope I'm wrong.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2013, 03:16:43 PM »
I don't know about end times, but I think they've passed their peak. Perhaps they were at their best when they were still catering to a niche audience. That's not to say that every game made in the early to mid 90s was gold (there was a ton of crap), but back then the games felt like they were purely made to be enjoyable. I see some of the stuff available now and wonder if half of the people making them wish they were making Hollywood films instead.

I don't like this concentrated effort to make video games a respected art form by imitating the worst parts of the film industry. If some cultural commentator snobs don't think games are a respectable art form, then screw 'em. Nobody asked for their approval or endorsement. But I guess the industry just saw dollar signs and enjoyed the credibility of blowing huge amounts of money on derivative "EPIC!!!!!!!111" interactive movie sequen--sorry, I meant, "games".
« Last Edit: 19 September 2013, 03:22:32 PM by David Mackenzie »
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
I don't like this concentrated effort to make video games a respected art form by imitating the worst parts of the film industry. If some cultural commentator snobs don't think games are a respectable art form, then screw 'em. Nobody asked for their approval or endorsement. But I guess the industry just saw dollar signs and enjoyed the credibility of blowing huge amounts of money on derivative "EPIC!!!!!!!111" interactive movie sequen--sorry, I meant, "games".
Still, many people liked Heavy Rain and such projects.
Maybe cinematic games should be viewed from different perspective... It's pretty cool that someone is still trying to provide alternative experience, rather than exploiting the same old formula again and again.

I don't think that many retro games, exploiting scrolling+platforming in every way, are any better than modern games, exploiting "duck and cover" 3rd-person shooter formula.
The greatest games were quite often in minority, opposed to the mainstream.

Offline Adlermann

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 48
  • -Received: 134
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2014, 04:16:22 PM »

Games were the most fun when they weren't so serious (like doom, quake, duke nukem, etc).

panasonic tx-p55vt60 | Panasonic DBT 360 | Mac Mini 2011 base model | Denon 1911 AVR | Wharfedale diamond 10.5, CM, 10.1 | Playstation 4 | Super Nintentdo Entertainment System | Beer

Offline Scottthehat

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 218
  • -Received: 265
  • It's because I'm green isn't it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
got a ps4 and its great have a few games which so far are good games and enjoying them, but when I look at forza that just blows me away, im sure both console will only get better and better, but im still playin rainbow vegas 2 on ps3 :lol:
sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2014, 09:06:44 PM »

Games were the most fun when they weren't so serious (like doom, quake, duke nukem, etc).
Agreed, to some extent... I don't mind it being like a movie, as long as it's done right, and it still lets you play the game. Mass Effect... :worthy: But the you have games like Final Fantasy 13, where most of what you do is go through the motions and press very few buttons, and then there is only one path you end up following to progress. Might as well just watch someone else play it for you while you eat snacks. That sucks.
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

FoxyMulder

« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

I agree, i remember trying Gran Turismo, supposed to have realistic cars and environments and driving but i was bored to tears by it, the more they shoot for realism in some of these games the more they sometimes forget to add entertainment to the mix, nothing beats a good Mario game on the Nintendo.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2014, 09:24:45 PM »

I agree, i remember trying Gran Turismo, supposed to have realistic cars and environments and driving but i was bored to tears by it, the more they shoot for realism in some of these games the more they sometimes forget to add entertainment to the mix, nothing beats a good Mario game on the Nintendo.
Zelda

::)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

FoxyMulder

« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2014, 09:26:42 PM »

Zelda

::)
I remember buying a Super Nintendo just to play a Zelda game, now you can get software emulators and play all the old classics from your PC, is that legal ?  hmmm maybe not - just as well i don't do that.  :lol: