• Thank You
  • -Gave: 18
  • -Received: 21
    • View Profile
FREE CALMAN COLORCHECKER SOFTWARE !!!
« on: 10 January 2014, 07:32:53 AM »

FREE CALMAN COLORCHECKER SOFTWARE !!!

Ted from Avs forum
 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510873/spectracal-releases-free-colorchecker-software

(Seattle, WA) – January 9, 2014

SpectraCal, Inc. announced today the release of a free software, intended to provide professionals in production, post-production, and broadcasting industries a tool for testing the accuracy of their video monitors.

The software, CalMAN ColorChecker, will be available for free download beginning this week. Although CalMAN ColorChecker has been available for purchase individually and as an included workflow in other CalMAN products, SpectraCal has never before offered CalMAN software free of charge.

CalMAN ColorChecker

“ColorChecker is a revolutionary product for the studio industry, and we want everyone using it,” said L.A. Heberlein, SpectraCal’s CEO.

With a probe and a pattern generator, CalMAN ColorChecker allows users to chart the performance of their monitor and verify that the content displayed on screen is true to industry standards, such as Rec709, Digital Cinema, and Adobe RGB.

“ColorChecker gives users confidence that their monitor is performing reliably, and it only takes minutes to run,” emphasized SpectraCal’s Marketing Director, Joshua Quain.

ColorChecker also provides a useful platform for comparing color performance between displays, informing users of the degree to which one monitor’s performance varies from another. “Often times we hear from customers who are struggling to discover which of their monitors are closest to standards. With ColorChecker, you can easily test each monitor and find the closest match,” said Quain.

When creating the product, developers at SpectraCal envisioned studio professionals running ColorChecker daily. “It’s a quality assessment tool,” explained Founder and CTO, Derek Smith. “Run ColorChecker every morning when you come in, and know your video content is completely accurate for the rest of the work day.”

In effect, a successful run of CalMAN ColorChecker (indicated within the software by a green “go” light) will mean that the measured monitor is ready for use, while a red light indicates the device is in need of calibration.

“ColorChecker takes the guess work out of monitor calibration,” explained Quain. “If you’re using ColorChecker, you’ll know exactly when your monitor needs to be calibrated, and you can take the proper actions accordingly.”

In addition to offering ColorChecker at no cost to the user, SpectraCal has also eliminated all hardware restrictions for the software, meaning that ColorChecker supports a surprisingly wide range of probes and test pattern generators.

“You don’t have to buy our colorimeters to use this free software,” Quain said. “If you have any instruments in your shop already, CalMAN almost certainly supports them.”

CalMAN ColorChecker requires no previous knowledge of calibration technology nor experience with CalMAN software.

The free software is available for download from SpectraCal’s website, at http://studio.spectracal.com/calman-colorchecker.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: FREE CALMAN COLORCHECKER SOFTWARE !!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
Thanks for the tip, realzven! :clap:
I'm gonna try it out, since it may come very handy at work.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SteveeW

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3
  • -Received: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
Can anyone recommend a hopefully cheap meter to use with this?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
Can anyone recommend a hopefully cheap meter to use with this?
CalMAN supports X-Rite i1Display Pro (i1D3), which is very capable meter for a price (about $250 MSRP).
However, I still haven't tested Retail version with their ColorChecker. They listed only i1D3 [OEM] version, which is slightly different in software.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline realzven

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
No problem with the retail version version, and +1 with the display 3 it's the way to go for the diyers calibrator ;)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2014, 09:34:31 AM by realzven »

Offline realzven

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
Supported meters :

Sencore ColorPro II, III, IV

Sencore ColorPro V

SpectraCal C3

SpectraCal C6

X-Rite i1Display Pro (OEM), i1Pro, i1Pro2

Klein K-10(A)/Cinema Pro

Konica Minolta LS-100

Konica Minolta CL-200

Konica Minolta CS-100a/200

Konica Minolta CA-210/310

Konica Minolta CS-1000/2000(a)

Photo Research PR-521/25

Photo Research PR-650/55/70/80

Photo Research PR-701/05/15/40

Orb Optronix SP-100/200

JETI SpecBos 1201/11

Consumer Grade Meters* (click for list) :

SpectraCal C3, C6

Datacolor Spyder 2, Spyder3, Spyder4

X-Rite i1Display Pro (OEM and Retail)

X-Rite Monaco Optix XR, DTP-94

X-Rite i1Display 2

X-Rite i1Monitor, i1Pro, i1Pro2

X-Rite ColorMunki Photo, Design

X-Rite Chroma5

X-Rite Hubble/Sencore OTC-1000

basICColor Discus
« Last Edit: 11 January 2014, 09:42:43 AM by realzven »

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 15
  • -Received: 53
  • www.displaycalibrations.com
    • View Profile
    • Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2014, 09:01:09 AM »

Hello, For those who want to check the CalMAN's Free ColorChecker, I have include all ColorChecker Classic / SG / SG Fleshtones Chapters with exact the pattern sequence order as CalMAN requests them to my calbration disk. (Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk)
Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - www.displaycalibrations.com

S/W: LightSpace CMS Full, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL

VP: eeColor 3D LUT Box, DARBEE - PG: DVDO AVLab TPG

Meters: JETI 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO1, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2014, 07:36:42 AM »
CalMAN 5.3.0 RC1 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) Build: 1426 Released @ 30 January 2014

New Features

Added support of Davinci Resolve as a pattern generator.

Added support for TV Logic XVM series displays.

Added support for Eizo Color Edge Monitors as Meter, Source, and Display.

Added support for the Panasonic BT4 display.

Added support for the DVDO AVLab TPG pattern generator.

Added a BG LED table for C6 meters.

Added OLED support for i1 Display Pro meters (retail and OEM).

Changes

CalMAN version 5.3.0 and later now require up-to-date maintenance at installAs of CalMAN 5.3.0, Windows XP support has been dropped.
Added maintenance reminder to installer for license renewal.
Created “Cancel” option for installations with out of maintenance license keys
Added option to force installation for out of maintenance license keys.  Note – You will be in evaluation mode if choosing this option.

We have moved to unified .exe installers for Business, Home Theater, and Studio.

CalMAN 5.3.0 and later will now require .NET 4.5.1 or higher.

Added a User Mode exposure mode for Photo Research and Konica Minolta meters.  When using this mode, we do not make any changes to the meters settings, just take readings.

Cleaned up meter tables (display types).  We have not removed any functionality, just combined entries which were using the same table.

Resolved Issues

Resolved an issue where older downloadable calibration tables for Enhanced meters were not being used.

Resolved an issue where the VideoForge II HDMI pattern generator was not enabled for the Control and Enthusiast licenses.

Made a change which should make the C3 meter more reliable at low light readings.

Download Link for CalMAN 5 for Studio 5.3.0 RC1 (Build 1426):
http://studio.spectracal.com/calman-colorchecker-download

S/W: LightSpace CMS Full, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2014, 11:27:07 PM »
CalMAN 5.3.0 RC2 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) Build: 1430 Released @ 13 February 2014

Resolved Issues

Resolved an issue with the DVDO TPG where the levels were incorrect.

Resolved issue with the data format of .cfe files for Flanders Scientific displays was incorrect.

Resolved issue where data was not populating to the View 3D Luminance layout of the Color Cube (3D LUT) workflow.

Resolved issue where the button to connect to the pattern source on the Monitor – Advanced workflow was not working.

Download Link for CalMAN 5 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) 5.3.0 RC2 (Build 1430):
http://studio.spectracal.com/calman-colorchecker-download

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2014, 07:21:05 PM »
CalMAN 5.3.0 RC2 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) 5.3.0 Build: 1450 Released @ 12 March 2014

New Features

Added a new Sliding Power gamma formula.  This is a Power formula with black compensation and a target exponent which behaves similarly to the BT1886 formula.

Added Grayscale Priority Interpolation for 3D LUTs.

Added Brightness and Contrast ramp patterns for the Virtual Forge, Video Forge Classic, Video Forge II 4K, and Video Forge II HDMI generators from within CalMAN.

Issues Resolved

Resolved issue that limited the 3D Cube report to license levels with design mode.

Resolved issue that when disconnecting from resolve as a pattern generator.

Fixed a broken navigation button in the SI Pro workflow.

Improved 3D LUT compatibility with Resolve and the IS Mini, improving results at the low end of grayscale.

Made adjustments to the Monitor – Standard workflow to deal with changes to VMware Fusion.

Resolved an issue where the gamma exponent was not being properly restored when loading a workflow or data file.

Corrected issue with dE 1994 calculation.

Changes

Added Saturations AutoCal to the SI Pro workflow.

The default pattern size for the Client 3 now defaults to full field.  Those users who have already connected to Client 3 as a pattern source will default to whatever their last setting was.

Notes

SIP based meters, such as the C3, i1D2, and Chroma 5, appear to have an issue when trying to take readings on displays which are still stabilizing after a pattern change.  This can cause them to stop responding.  This in turn will cause lost connection errors in CalMAN such as Error 6 and Error 7: Display Type not supported.  Another symptom of this issue is when CalMAN appears to hang on a meter read or a meter read takes a very long time.

A solution for this issue is to increase the pattern generators Delay setting, allowing the display to stabilize before we start a reading.  The Delay setting can be found under the Source tab.

Download Link for CalMAN 5 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) 5.3.0 (Build 1450)
« Last Edit: 12 March 2014, 10:12:32 PM by ConnecTED »

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
CalMAN 5.3.1 Build 1532 Open Beta is available for download.

Release Notes

Optimization and improvements on cube AutoCAL's.

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
Is this totally free ?, anyone using it ?, how will it compare to the chromapure I use ?.  ;D
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Is this totally free ?, anyone using it ?, how will it compare to the chromapure I use ?.  ;D

Hello, you can use ColorChecker to measure for free using any meter that CalMAN is suppporting only the ColorChecker Patch sets.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
CalMAN 5.3.5 Build 1551 Open Beta is available for download.

Release Notes

Added Wide Gamut CCFL and LED RGB tables for the i1Display Pro meters.

CalMAN AutoCube calibration now uses a new Dynamic Linearity Correction™ (DLC) algorithm to dynamically identify nonlinear areas within a display’s 3D color space and add just enough adjustment points in those areas to correct the nonlinear response.

Improved performance on Eizo LUTs.

Corrected an issue which would create invalid cube calibrations when Limit re Reference White was selected.

Made some modifications to cube calibrations which should increase performance at the low end.

Improved Resolve calibrations - There is an issue with the Resolve project we have provided for verifications. A temporary fix is to right click on all of the elements in the project and under Clipping, force it to Video. This change along with the recent changes in CalMAN should give excellent results in Resolve. An updated Resolve QSG and updated Resolve project will be coming.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2014, 06:49:47 PM by ConnecTED »

Offline ConnecTED

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
CalMAN 5.3.5 Build 1556 Open Beta is available for download.

Release Notes

We've resolved an issue where CalMAN would under saturate colors during a cube calibration in an effort to reach target luminance.