Offline fringeidiot

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Philips deny Vincent's findings
« on: 24 October 2008, 10:16:17 AM »

I wrote a 17 page(!) letter of complaint to Philips regarding my 47PFL9632D LCD TV. Nothing was left out.
In it I complain that the literature at the time of purchase claimed 1080p processing and output, with the Full HD badge on the front as well as quoted everywhere in the manual and brochures. This was subtley changed in a later brochure to say HD Ready, but not in the manual.
I presented the old and new brochures, and amongst my evidence I quoted the findings by Vincent Teoh in his review here of the 37PFL9632D, which found the deinterlacing that was happening to the 1080p to downscale it to 1080i before upscaling it again to 1080p for output.
I even had Philips tech dept admit this was the case on the telephone, telling me this was what they were being told to say.
Having gotten that far, and Philips forcing me to put this complaint in writing and send it by mail (they then lost a signed for package), and then had to fax 17 pages.
no, the Comsumer Care manager at Philips has replied with this:

Dear Mr xxxx

I am writing to follow up on our telephone conversation of Monday 6th October.

Our televisions with the Full HD 1080p logo have the ability to process all inputs at 1080p and have the processing power to accept full 1080p images from all sorts of inputs (gaming consoles, PCs, Blu-ray players) and then display them in full HD on the screen. We strongly emphasize that the PNX5055 chipset in these TVs is capable of processing all inputs at 1080p.

However, there is one specific (and limited) user case which is an exception to the rule with the new gaming formats of 1080p 50p and 60p, where  we have chosen to process the inputs temporarily as 1080i and keep our picture quality processing running, rather than switching off our picture quality processing and processing in 1080p. We estimate this affects around 10% of the HD games on the market and we recognize that this temporary processing at 1080i on specific formats of new games is not the preferred solution for every single consumer, but we believe that we have made the best decision possible for the majority of our customers to provide them with the best overall viewing experience.

In order to optimise your set to correctly display HD content from a Blu-ray player please take the following steps:
Ensure your TV has the latest firmware version installed (000.064.014.018). This can be downloaded from our support site and installed via a USB memory stick, alternatively we can send you a copy let me know if you would like us to do this.
Ensure your Blu Ray device output is set to 1080p 24p
Switch off the Digital Natural Motion feature

We trust this answers the questions you raised in your letter of 18th September and we would also like to confirm that our offer of an installation inspection by one of our technical team to see if we can improve your viewing experience still stands.

this in no way acknowledges the finding in Vincent's exellent review, and whilst he doesn't say the TV does not deinterlace, he doesn't address it either.

I will push this to the limit as I was mis-sold this set, of course wanting to have 1080p in its full glory.
I have demanded a replacement that does what the spec of this set promised, yet it looks as if the next move will have to be a legal one.

I would be very interested in Vincent's opinion on their approach.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2008, 06:12:13 PM by fringeidiot »

Offline fringeidiot

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Philips deny Vincent's findings (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2008, 06:10:20 PM »
not too busy here I see

anyway, Philips have now denied Vincent's findings
here is the mail I just got:

Regarding the processing of 1080p inputs:
- If the input is 1080p from a Blu Ray player then the signal is not 'modified' in anyway, it comes into the TV as 1080p 24p is processed at 1080p 24p and is displayed on the screen at 1080p 24p.
- The only exception is with HD games at 50p and 60p, which are processed at 1080i, as described in my email below.

I trust this answers your points

regards

a straight denial of deinterlacing

Vincent, you don't know what you're talking about  :-[ ;D