Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
V.H.S Memories.
« on: 06 February 2014, 08:12:21 PM »

Just being all nostalgic, but I think Convoy & Rollerball were the first V.H.S videos I rented.............also does anyone remember the awful bootlegs of the likes of ET etc. :o

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: V.H.S Memories.
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2014, 05:57:21 AM »
My biggest VHS memory is standing in a branch of Global Video when I was about 9 or 10.
The store loop had a classic film on VHS playing. I can't remember what it was, but it was part of some MGM (I think) collection of remastered movies.

The start of the tape had a documentary on it about the restoration work, including a colorist talking about how some previous version of a film had had day and night scenes swapped around (or graded wrong?), someone else talking about censorship (how "bloody" had been dubbed over with "ruddy", I think in "The Battle of Britain", "we don't have a bloody bomb big enough") and how they were fixing these problems.

They got to a shot of a film can and it was full of old rusted film, and I remember seeing this and feeling really intrigued and sad.

Obviously it had some sort of lasting impact. I'd love to see it again, but I've never found it.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
I used to buy "copies" of uncut versions of The Evil Dead, Body Double, The Beyond etc etc etc, all the films that are now uncut, i detested censorship and Mary Whitehouse, as you can imagine the quality of these copies was amazing, perfect picture and sound. :)

I still get annoyed when people try to control what others can watch, right now we have people lobbying for more control over the internet, i am against it completely because these types are never satisfied and once they get some level of control they start looking at other targets they can control, there is no place for censorship in society.

Governments need to trust their citizens more and parents need to take responsibility for their children's viewing habits, how hard is it to remove their mobile phones and computers and use parental pins on the televisions they have in their rooms, not hard really but few do it.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
I used to buy "copies" of uncut versions of The Evil Dead, Body Double, The Beyond etc etc etc, all the films that are now uncut, i detested censorship and Mary Whitehouse,
You forgot James Ferman. The guy sounds like a prize tit if ever there was one, inflicting his own irrational fears (chainsaws) on the public at large.
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
I used to buy "copies" of uncut versions of The Evil Dead, Body Double, The Beyond etc etc etc, all the films that are now uncut, i detested censorship and Mary Whitehouse,
You forgot James Ferman. The guy sounds like a prize tit if ever there was one, inflicting his own irrational fears (chainsaws) on the public at large.
Oh yeah he had a thing about nunchakus and headbutts too, i wrote to the BBFC many times, i remember a memorable reply once when i complained about cuts to Licence To Kill, the reply stated the Bond makers went too far and the film did not fit with their perception of Bond. ( they should read the books )

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
That was their response? So arrogant.
--

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Just being all nostalgic, but I think Convoy & Rollerball were the first V.H.S videos I rented.............also does anyone remember the awful bootlegs of the likes of ET etc. :o
Hehe, I remember bootlegs.. As a little kid I was given The Lion King on VHS, from a relative over in England, in what I thought was a nice cover, and I thought the picture was a little murky but I still watched it with great joy. Years later, my Dad mentioned it while we were talking about how good DVD looked: "Yeah, one of the worst ones was that tape of The Lion King you got, where someone had just taped it off the telly using a camera! :lol:"
(That explained how all my memories of that tape were a little blurry :P seriously)

I still think the VHS covers were the best... We used to have the entire Star Trek TNG series and all of the Star Trek movies on VHS, which covered an entire bookshelf or so. Damn that looked cool :lol:

Before that, my Dad used tape them whenever they aired on Sky One and we used to think it looked great ;D I remeber some cool adverts being taped, too, like footbal matches advertised by Sonic The Hedgehog etc..! Wow I used to love those!

Aaah, VHS... Good times :)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline JL_?

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 164
  • -Received: 195
  • M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
240 lines of vertical resolution, luma/chroma cramped up in 3MHz bandwith, monaural audio with half the tape speed of the compact cassette...

Ahh, those were the days...  :lol:

Still, there are some videos on today's streaming services with a lot worse picture quality...  ;D
Not what man knows, but what man feels concerns art. All else is science...
-Bernard Berenson, 1897-

FoxyMulder

« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
240 lines of vertical resolution, luma/chroma cramped up in 3MHz bandwith, monaural audio with half the tape speed of the compact cassette...

Still, there are some videos on today's streaming services with a lot worse picture quality...  ;D
I had a Super VHS deck, unfortunately no films were ever released in the UK that i am aware of, incidentally VHS had stereo and you could get some decent pro-logic encoded VHS tapes back in the day.

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2014, 04:03:02 PM »
The biggest memory of VHS for me was when my Dad got a knock of copy of Pinocchio.
I wanted to see it asap so rammed it into VHS player to find it was a horror movie at the start of some dude having his face sucked down a plug hole by a pink blob before fizzing to the movie I wanted to see.
I had nightmares for a week after that. :'(

FoxyMulder

« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
The biggest memory of VHS for me was when my Dad got a knock of copy of Pinocchio.
I wanted to see it asap so rammed it into VHS player to find it was a horror movie at the start of some dude having his face sucked down a plug hole by a pink blob before fizzing to the movie I wanted to see.
That sounds like a description of the remake of The Blob, i'd like to buy that on blu ray.

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
That sounds like a description of the remake of The Blob, i'd like to buy that on blu ray.
Thinking back now it scared the poop out of me but also triggered my love of horror movies.  :P

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2014, 04:13:12 PM »

I think TT are releasing it. :)

Offline JL_?

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 164
  • -Received: 195
  • M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

I had a Super VHS deck, unfortunately no films were ever released in the UK that i am aware of, incidentally VHS had stereo and you could get some decent pro-logic encoded VHS tapes back in the day.

Yes, it had and the capacity for sound quality on those, was spectacular (20-20000Hz frequency response, over 90 dB NR). The problem was that, in Greece, rental and sell through tapes with Stereo/Prologic encoding bacame a reality in 1996, just 2 years before DVD made its appearance...

My last VHS deck, was a Hi-Fi Stereo one (Panasonic NV-HD670), which was functional until 2012...

My first was one from Blaupunkt, which didn't even have IR remote...  :lol:

Not what man knows, but what man feels concerns art. All else is science...
-Bernard Berenson, 1897-

tele1962, FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

I think TT are releasing it. :)
So expensive, 25.50 minimum.  :bash: