• Thank You
  • -Gave: 368
  • -Received: 816
    • View Profile
Dont Starve-PS4 Owners and Review thread
« on: 18 February 2014, 12:41:36 AM »

Don't Starve the indie title for PS4.

Graphics

Don't Starve takes on a novelty hand drawn look that really looks quite stylish. While not photo realisitic or trying to push the boundaries on the graphics like premium titles are expected to do, the nice blend of hand drawn style is fitting and detailed.
The great thing with this game is even though things are hand drawn theirs plenty of "what the hell is that" and "that looks gross moments." There is no slow down even with trees a blaze while being chased by some creature you knew you should have left well alone. A very nice detailed environment.

Story
Well there isn't much of a story to Don't Starve other than survive for as long as you can. Yes there is the introduction scene that adds a back story of who created a door to this harsh land, but with a good sized amount of odd characters to pick from that doesn't suit them only the first character.
There is a adventure mode to find and do if the player wants too that leads through some tough challenges and maybe a answer to why your there.

Game Play
Don't Starve is as simply complex but easy to pick up and play. Set in a harsh hellish world the player must survive by building a camp to provide light for the night as creatures that you cant see will kill you in the darkness. Then there is the problem of finding food. Do you just want to eat berries? Maybe a farm would be better? Or even trapping rabbits or hunting beefalo? Yes beefalo a buffalo like creature that poops a lot.
The game involves keeping your player alive. There are 3 things to keep an eye on. Health, if this hits zero your dead. Hunger, if this hits zero you start to starve to death, and finally sanity, and if this his low number your character starts to go crazy. Now when I say crazy this is represented as rabbits looking like demons, shadows trying to eat you and the screen wobbling more than after drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels.
In the world you have to gather resources to craft tools to hunt, build fires, advance tools to craft better tools. There's many creatures such as one eyed birds that will try and kill you to pig folk who want to be your friend...if fed of course.
The action is takes place as a top view. As you collect items there placed in your bag or item bar at the bottom of the screen. As you collect items on the left of the screen if a craft navigation bar that highlights things you could make. The more you create the better items you unlock.
On top of keeping alive, creating a safe base for night the range of different creatures you can find is quite vast. Ive seen trees that wanted to kill me like something out of Lord of the rings all due to me cutting down some trees, to being chased by killer penguins.
There is different seasons too, after quite a few days winter sets in and the whole environment changes so finding a way to craft winter gear is a must all before you freeze to death. There's rain and thunder too as well as the world that seems to develop naturally with time.
The amount of things that look crazy and made me laugh also become important for your own survival. Everything seems to have a purpose and in one way or another its also there to help you.
While it does at first seem complex it is very easy to pick up and play, each death offers a learning curve for next time, but next time the map randomly generates so your skills are always tested.
There is a range of options for the random generation you can mess with but nothing that really makes the game easy long term. You cant turn up resources only make less of them, but a beginner may want always sunny days but even this wont be a long term help.
Every time you do die you earn experience points to help unlock some other characters, which range from the bonkers to the crazy. All of which have there pros and cons in game so picking a character also becomes part of that bigger survival decision.

The Overall Score

If you want to live the life of Bear Grylls but set in a hellish world with comic humor as well as shear panic this is the game for you. Its just very addictive and a top job done by a indie developer on the PlayStation Network.

Overall Score 9 out of 10

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Dont Starve-PS4 Owners and Review thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Now that looks fantastic. Cheers Johny.  :worthy:

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Now that looks fantastic. Cheers Johny.  :worthy:
It really is a great game. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea it's something that's got me hooked and even my brother who's normally a hardcore shooter only gamer.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Fantastic reviews also mate. :worthy:

Offline Insanity202

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Fantastic reviews also mate. :worthy:
Thanks mate. It's something I do enjoy doing while there bot perfect, I like to put my thoughts forward.  :)
Might whip up a couple more later tonight.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
That looks great! Definitely on my list for when Iget a PS4!
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
Nice review, m8 ;) Looks good..! Might pick this one up when I get a PS4! I like Bear Grylls' survival programs, too, so this game seems very cool :)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Check this fan art:
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1