Author Topic:

Rec 2020 and UHP Lamps!

(Read 23609 times)

FoxyMulder

Rec 2020 and UHP Lamps!
« on: 25 February 2014, 05:39:24 PM »

If the 4K blu ray standard introduces Rec 2020 for a wider colour gamut i am wondering how it will be achieved with projection systems since the UHP lamps are probably not capable of this, would this lead to a new laser/LED hybrid system at affordable prices and it's questionable whether they can also do it since recent LED offerings cannot.

Recent 4K televisions also fail to meet such a high standard, this leaves me wondering if they will not bother with a higher colour gamut and instead introduce 10/12 bit depth to current Rec 709 standards.

Anyone got opinions on this. ?

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Rec 2020 and UHP Lamps!
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2014, 09:41:56 PM »
Given the love for LED LCD, 2020 doesn't seem feasible without some other tricks.

The Rec2020 is like NTSC-1953 all over again. At present it's impractical and further clarity is needed from the industry on what's being done.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

These member(s) thanked your post:

FoxyMulder

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
From what I've heard, even current OLED panels with very deep RGB spectre still cannot cover full Rec.2020 gamut.
So, projection systems developers will get back to the Rec.2020 question right after... A few years, if ever, I think.

The Rec2020 is like NTSC-1953 all over again. At present it's impractical and further clarity is needed from the industry on what's being done.
It certainly looks strange. Why wouldn't they implement a consumer gamut similar to DCI P3?
It looks closer to what you can get with current tech, and it would be handy for cinema studios to make a similar masters for cinema and home usage.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2014, 07:35:02 AM by FoxHounder »
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
Why wouldn't they implement a consumer gamut similar to DCI P3?
Also my feeling. I don't want to speak for him, but I think this is what Joe Kane is pushing for.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

FoxyMulder

« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2014, 08:15:15 PM »
So basically Rec 2020 was never going to happen with 4K, so what does this leave, xvYCC or something else ?.