• View Profile
Re: 2014 Line Up From LG
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Anyone?  :o

FoxyMulder

« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2014, 10:35:36 PM »
Anyone?  :o
Not impressed, for example their OLED TV was tested by this site and didn't deliver the goods, they fix some of their issues and maybe they will impress me, quantity over quality comes to mind.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2014, 06:37:04 AM »
Not impressed, for example their OLED TV was tested by this site and didn't deliver the goods
Why would you think that? It's got Reference Level award, after all.
The TV is really outstanding, neverming some niggles with low motion resolution (which is common for OLED as it turns out) and high input lag.

By the way, I'll be at local LG TV presentation today, so I might have some info on 2014 models.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
I'm not super-impressed either... Just had a look at my friend's old Sammy LED the other day (he's set it up in another room now that he has a 65" VT60), and I even though it's a great LED-TV I couldn't help but notice the blurry motion EVERY TIME something moved even slightly..! God damn I hope OLED gets a good BFI solution or just stops using sample-and-hold altogether! I would love an OLED TV in the future for all it's strengths, but not with that low motion res...
Not impressed, for example their OLED TV was tested by this site and didn't deliver the goods
The TV is really outstanding, neverming some niggles with low motion resolution (which is common for OLED as it turns out) and high input lag.

By the way, I'll be at local LG TV presentation today, so I might have some info on 2014 models.
Hey, if you get the chance to ask questions, could you ask them about motion resolution?! Why are they using sample-and-hold? OLED should be faster than PDP, right?
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

FoxyMulder

« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2014, 12:23:33 PM »

Reference quality based on black levels alone, it has some serious issues as pointed out in the review, i would buy the Samsung OLED over the LG until they fix those issues.  ( If i had that sort of cash lying around )

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2014, 07:22:30 AM »
Redarding LG: sorry, I didn't have the chance to speak about PQ in depth.
Still, what really surprised me is that LG was all about OLED! They even didn't get Ultra HD LED LCD too much attention, only to show off their 77" UHD OLED.

I must say the thing is really beautiful, just what you'd expect from OLED. It looks astonishing in both bright and dark environment. The latest batch also seems to be more polished tech-wise.

I speaked with local manager, and he said that 55" OLED model will become cheaper in 2014 (even less that 2013 model after price-cut). He said that panel production became more efficient, so they will continue to support OLED in future years, with larger and cheaper panels.

We'll see about that, but it sounds promising. At least OLED won't go down before it's even reached mass market.

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
LG was always bad in terms of picture quality from my point of view, not to mention spying it's users without informing them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lg+tv+spy+users&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=5mQrU-6dFIuCzAOr8IDICg

Let's face it. LG is crap, sometimes worse than some Chinese brands.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
Let's face it: you've never seen any OLED TVs made by LG.

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
Let's face it: you've never seen any OLED TVs made by LG.

Correct.

But LG plasma was bad and LG IPS Televisions also not that good, if you compare it to other brands.

As long as they spy on me i don't really care how good their OLED is.

Better buy a new car.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2014, 05:54:01 AM »
But LG plasma was bad and LG IPS Televisions also not that good, if you compare it to other brands.

Better buy a new car.
I was never fond of their plasma TVs, nor IPS LCDs. But their OLED is a real game-changer, it's totally another deal.
And it's worth noting that they're the only manufacturer who pushes OLED right now, and their new 55" model became a whopping $3000 cheaper. It's on the way to become affordable in some time.
When its price hits mass market, I'd buy one even if it was LG brand and I couldn't care less for cookie tracking which is used all over the Internet.

P.S. By the way, their new TVs use WebOS system with Chromium browser. The security should be better.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2014, 06:22:40 PM »
You don't have to connect it to the web if you're concerned about privacy - sounds like "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2014, 11:25:22 PM »
You don't have to connect it to the web if you're concerned about privacy - sounds like "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?
No, but Xerox has got a point though... One of the things advertised about the products are their "Smart TV" functions. And it's not honest business to collect such amounts of detailed data without informing those "affected" about it first. If everyone objecting took a stance and boycotted such products, it would end and not be allowed to eventually escalate into something worse in the future.
... ::)... When it comes to TV's, however, I'm a sucker for good picture quality :P :lol: My VT can spy on me all it wants :P

It does p me off a bit that LG (and other brands!) would "spy" on their customers, though. However, it isn't at a point where there's a need to get paranoid...

Yet! :o

:rofl:
« Last Edit: 23 March 2014, 11:30:33 PM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2014, 01:45:33 AM »
No, but Xerox has got a point though... One of the things advertised about the products are their "Smart TV" functions. And it's not honest business to collect such amounts of detailed data without informing those "affected" about it first. If everyone objecting took a stance and boycotted such products, it would end and not be allowed to eventually escalate into something worse in the future.
... ::)... When it comes to TV's, however, I'm a sucker for good picture quality :P :lol: My VT can spy on me all it wants :P

It does p me off a bit that LG (and other brands!) would "spy" on their customers, though. However, it isn't at a point where there's a need to get paranoid...

Yet! :o

:rofl:

:lol: :lol: ;)
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2014, 01:49:24 AM »

' some niggles with motion resolution' ...  :lol:, I thought that was high on your list ?  :P
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.