• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Line Up From LG
« Reply #225 on: 18 December 2014, 10:03:18 PM »

Contrast and blacklevel isn't everything. This TV does two basic things wrong: It crushs detail out of the 4:3 range and it destroys the fine detail, Blu-ray was invented for. Plus its motion performance isn't very good.
You have a point, but I have personally calibrated and tested all the top TVs in 2014, and on balance, taking into account every TV's strengths and weaknesses, not one of them is on par with the LG OLED.
I totally agree. LG OLED is not flawless, but it is quite in a league of its own compared to generic LCDs on the market.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 18 December 2014, 11:26:17 PM »
So in your opinion Vincent although Chad claimed he had a workaround, do you think this might not be the case.
Workaround for?

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 18 December 2014, 11:47:59 PM »
Here's European EC930V review:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55ec930v-201412163962.htm
Thanks for another interesting read, Vincent :)

Yeah, about the final "verdict"... I kind of disagreed at first, and thought that it should maybe have been "Recommended",  but then I started thinking... What does that mean? And, also, who is it aimed at? When I take into account that you explain all the pros and cons in the review and the competition available on the market atm, and also the fact that this is your personal and professional opinion (that you would highly recommend it), I can only really agree with the "verdict". For me, personally, this is NOT in the "highly recommended" league, as I'd rather get another cheap second hand plasma and wait for better days if I was in need - but that MY personal preference and has to do with MY particular "pickyness". And that again has to do with the fact that I have awareness of the different aspects of PQ and how I perceive them. The black crush on the sides, the low motion res, the forced NR and the bad uniformity (yeah, sounds like a recurring theme with red/green "tinges" for OLED - even my phone has it!) would have me do my nut - but then again, so would most of the flaws of LCD! And mll is immensely important to PQ - wouldn't be much good to have a TV capable of reference performance in every aspect, except for it having crappy black levels, either.

Readers with knowledge will know for themselves what things to note, and also that they neeedeeed to demo before buying - otherwise: buy at your own risk. LOL.

Also, any recommendation given is, AFAIK, NOT a recommendation to go and buy it blindly - it's a pointer to whether or not you should put it on your shortlist, as far as I've interpreted it. And let's face it: If an ignorant friend dead set on buying a new TV asked for your advice, you'd be a bit of an arse if you had some knowledge and you still didn't even mention this OLED :P Compared to the current references of overall colour and gamma accuracy, this set doesn't seem to do too bad..? Not impressive, but still... The black levels alone WILL blow you away in a dark room :P And we'll just have to hope that the rest of the PQ gets improved upon with future OLED TV's.

Interesting that David only gave it a "verdict" of "recommended" - goes to show that you can't necessarily know exactly how you will perceive any display solely based on reading a review ;) (Unless there is another reason, but that statement is still valid! :P)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline MarcWessels

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 173
  • -Received: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 19 December 2014, 02:21:51 AM »
And readers like you who are knowledgeable should just read the review and note the objective measurements to make up your own mind anyway.
This is true.  :bye:

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 19 December 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
So in your opinion Vincent although Chad claimed he had a workaround, do you think this might not be the case.
Workaround for?

Warmest regards
Vincent

The broken CMS. :)

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 19 December 2014, 10:42:52 PM »
CMS is still largely broken. What's Chad's workaround?

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 19 December 2014, 11:01:23 PM »

CMS is still largely broken. What's Chad's workaround?

Warmest regards
Vincent

I think he was saying yes it's still broken and to leave well alone, but appears to have been able to get better results with colour accuracy than David could on the US variant using this method:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1653657-lg-55ec9300-55-oled-owners-only-thread-78.html#post27772953
« Last Edit: 19 December 2014, 11:08:29 PM by tele1962 »