Author Topic:

VALUE ELECTRONIC'S 2014 HD & UHD New Tech Shootout (date TBD)

(Read 34140 times)

Offline ImRizzo

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 33
  • -Received: 183
  • from Brooklyn,NY ~ on the left side of the 'pond'
    • View Profile

Robert has given me a headsup on this years shootout:

Re: 2014 Shootout ?
Heres what I know at this moment.

Below is our latest list of TVs (with NA nomenclature) that are likely to be included in our 2014 Flat and Curved HD and UHD Shootout Evaluation event. One or more may be dropped or added if available. Finally, not sure at this time if well permit the OLED to be included in the final official decision to crown the 2014 King of HDTV and our crowning of the 2014 King of 4K Ultra HD So if we dont use the OLED votes in the determination of the winner we will publish the results for the attendees and public to know if OLED would have won if they were included.

Day One the Full HD Competition

LCD/LED Full HD displays:

Samsung UN65H8000
LG 65LB7100
Sharp LC-70UQ17U
Sony KDL-65X950B

Plasma Full HD displays:

Samsung PN64F8500

LGs 60PB6900 - >No final decision, but we are testing for possible inclusion.

OLED Full HD:

LGs new 55EC9300

Day Two the 4K Ultra HD Competition

LCD/LED 4K Ultra HD displays:

Sony XBR-65X950B full array locally dimmed
Samsung UN65HU8550
Samsung UN65HU9000
LG 65UB9800 or the 79" UB9800
Toshiba 65L9400U full array locally dimmed

OLED 4K Ultra HD:

LGs 77EC9800

Id like to include Vizios reference series, but its not launching till Q4 if at all. Also Ill ask Panasonic if they would like to participate with their new TC-65AX900U 4K LCD/LED TV.

Heres a few more tidbits. On day one were doing the 1080p Shootout. However, at the opening of the event well light up the Ultra HD Shootout wall, discuss the models and some of our findings. At the conclusion of each of the two days well have a q/a with the expert panelists, attendees and cyberspace questions and comments will be answered. Also on both days before the attendees leave well announce the winner of the competition Shootout. At the conclusion of day two well put the winners of day one (1080p) and day two (UHD) butt next to each other and well demonstrate 1080p and Ultra 4K, unconverted and down converted and well have the audience pass the two displays in a line at 1.5 x the screen height to see if they can see the advantages of UHD.

Regarding the actual event date we are pushing for the earliest possible date, but coordination of our long term team of expert panelists, headed by Kevin Miller, DeDayne (Davis D-Nice), David Mackenzie [/U] (of HDTVtest forum of the UK) and Ed Johnson along with our Videographer Joe So So, inclusion of all of the displays that come from our stock of random inventory is some of the items that must be taken into account. Im also working with our previous VIP guests to be sure they will be available and I have a few new special VIP guests attending this year and Id like to accommodate all of these VIP guests. At this moment it looks like the earliest date is June 27th and Im sure it will be no later than July 11th.

This is all I have at this moment and much of this is still fluid so if some of this changes please understand that all of this is still subject to our final testing of each display and the manufacturers' final decisions. Even some of my ideas and all of the changes that are triggered by our inclusion of 4K Ultra HD are subject to change.

This will be our biggest and most exciting and interesting Shootout. In the past nine years weve had between 6 and 8 displays competing, this year, our tenth video evaluation Shootout well have many more TVs.

-Robert

Robert has promised me updates as they become available, to include dates of the event.

Rizz'
« Last Edit: 23 April 2014, 06:13:36 PM by ImRizzo »
at my age patience is not a virtue...... it's a pain in the ass

Rizz' Toys

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
Re: VALUE ELECTRONIC'S 2014 HD & UHD New Tech Shootout (date TBD)
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
Thanks Rizz, looks like it's going to be a great shootout. :nod:

Offline ImRizzo

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to it just for the education factor.

Rizz' Toys

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Adlermann

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 48
  • -Received: 134
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
Even without Panasonic plasmas, this is still a good shoot out. Very much interested. Last year I watched much of the shout out. Beer, chips, and staying up late ;)

panasonic tx-p55vt60 | Panasonic DBT 360 | Mac Mini 2011 base model | Denon 1911 AVR | Wharfedale diamond 10.5, CM, 10.1 | Playstation 4 | Super Nintentdo Entertainment System | Beer

Offline ImRizzo

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
Even without Panasonic plasmas, this is still a good shoot out. Very much interested. Last year I watched much of the shout out. Beer, chips, and staying up late ;)
Robert has confided to me, that this years shootout will be outstanding with these new panels. He has already had and calibrated several with amazing results.
To me the proof will 'be in the pudding' I'm a show-me type of guy.

Rizz' Toys

Offline panman40

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2049
  • -Received: 1597
  • 'The truth Is out there'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
Robert has confided to me, that this years shootout will be outstanding with these new panels. He has already had and calibrated several with amazing results.

When you say new panels, are we talking about the new LCD sets ?
Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Pana DMP-BD60, Oppo BDP-103DMZ, Sky HD 1TB, Yamaha RXV 675, 7.1ch, 2x Kef Q300C, 4X Kef HTS3001SE Eggs,  Kef Q600C Centre, BK XXLS400 Sub, Harmony 900 & 650. Sennheiser RS160 Phones, iPad 4 64GB.

Offline ImRizzo

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2014, 01:34:09 AM »
He's trying to get Panasonic to commit one of their LCD panels

Rizz' Toys

Offline Robert Zohn

• Industry Insider
  • [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 63
  • -Received: 134
    • View Profile
    • www.valueelectronics.com
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2014, 03:24:37 AM »

1080p PDP, 1080p and Ultra HD OLED, and 1080p and Ultra HD edge and direct back-lit LCD/LED displays will make up our assortment of flagship panels from every major manufacturer.  Almost twice as many displays as any of our previous 9 years of Shootouts.

-Robert
Advanced a/v dealer

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
My money is on 55-77" LG OLED, since even the best full-array local dimming LED LCDs will suffer from blooming and/or poor viewing angles in comparison.

1080p PDP, 1080p and Ultra HD OLED, and 1080p and Ultra HD edge and direct back-lit LCD/LED displays will make up our assortment of flagship panels from every major manufacturer.  Almost twice as many displays as any of our previous 9 years of Shootouts.

-Robert
Robert, thanks a lot for all of your efforts in helding the annual Shootouts! :clap:
Can you please tell if a single champion TV will be crowned, or will we get a separate "King of HDTV" and "King of UHDTV" models?
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2014, 12:35:59 PM »

-Robert
Wow :o If you are including the ZT60, F8500 and the Kuro PDP's along with all the others mentioned incl. OLED... It sounds like this is going to be the mother of all Shootouts!

I'd understand if the ZT60 and Kuro were not included, though, seeing as both are now out of production. HOWEVER: If there was ever a chance of seeing such a clash of titans at your Shootout, this would have had to have been the time, what with PDP's coming to an end whilst 4k, FALD-LCD and OLED are emerging.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this years Shootout! Thanks to Robert and all the other guys making these Shootouts happen! :clap:
« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 12:39:39 PM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 08:53:35 PM »
Robert if you are looking in, any more news?  :)

Offline hristoslav2

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
Three things make a TV. Thiese are placed videopanel
- By matrix type and type backlight

The inserted a videoprocessor
- With his performance and number of cores

And installed software
- With its algorithms and bugs

in order to make accurate comparisons of a group of televisions, they should have similar panels and processors.

I have some doubts for LCD panels in these TVs
Samsung UN65H8000 - A-MVA5 panel - T650HVNxxx
LG 65LB7100 - ?? IPS panel - LC650EUF-xxxx
Sharp LC-70UQ17U - UV2A panel - LK695D3LAxx
Sony KDL-65X950B - IPS panel - LC650EQD-FGF2

These are different types of panels with different diagonals - making TVs in this group impossible to compare.

Procesors and software
http://developer.lge.com/resource/tv/RetrieveDevPlatformSpec.dev;jsessionid=E512ACCFC99BD10964EAC808BE688C45.node_sdpidl10

http://www.samsungdforum.com/

https://developer.sony.com/
« Last Edit: 25 May 2014, 08:50:48 PM by hristoslav2 »

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2014, 07:59:27 AM »
I think, the idea of this comparison is to evaluate a TVs with similar screen size, class and price.
They are all 65"+ top-series TV sets. It's pretty fair to compare them, especially from buyer's view.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
I think, the idea of this comparison is to evaluate a TVs with similar screen size, class and price.
They are all 65"+ top-series TV sets. It's pretty fair to compare them, especially from buyer's view.
Yes, no matter what parts the TV's are made up of, in the end they all have ONE main function: To reproduce images (and a little bit of sound...).

How WELL they do this, is measured by how closely they manage to adhere to the standards that have been set for reproducing images from broadcasts and movies.
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline hristoslav2

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
Judging by the writing of you ... you do not understand from TV-s.
That ... that the listed TVs have similar diagonal does not make them equivalent and suitable for comparison.