• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: UK Retailer to Hold 4K TVs vs OLED TV vs Plasma Shootout
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2014, 09:55:52 AM »

Are there still places available for this? I was going to register but didn't bother because I already own the Sony X9005A so aren't really in the market for a TV so thought I'd let someone go who perhaps is looking for some inspiration and help deciding what to buy. Looks like an interesting day though although I have to say the afternoon seems a bit Plasma / OLED centric...
So who's going then?

Just apply, no harm. Schedule is subject to change, will probably cut down Plasma v OLED to one session.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2014, 06:42:32 AM »
Unfortunately I am not going to make be able to make it due to sudden illness in the family, so one place is open. :(

Offline Mike G

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 7
  • -Received: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2014, 07:28:03 PM »
Just a quick one to say what a great day we had on Saturday.  The event was superb. The TV's were awesome and Vincent had done a great job calibrating them all.

I think most people there found themselves looking at the OLED and the ZT65 by the end of the show.  The black levels and contrast on the two were head and shoulders above the 4K LED's.

Great to meet everyone.

Cheers.
Mike.

Offline tele1962

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 3505
  • -Received: 1925
    • View Profile

Offline arenaman

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 48
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
Hmm, from that the Sony X9B doesn't cover itself in glory though Vincent gave it a glowing test report and it seems great to me.

Vincent, is the AX802 really that much better based on your tests and the shootout?
65" VT65, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455,DA E670 SKY HD+. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp Harmony One.

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2014, 12:00:34 AM »
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/result-201406013793.htm  :)
Very interesting. Wish I could have been there!

Btw, Vincent, a in quite an elaborate (and interesting) comment by "the_big_boss" below your article the poster mentions that according to you the KURO's mll still beats the ZT60's..? I How come ??? I thought they were on par, with the ZT60 winning by a really, really thin hair if there was any difference at all?
EDIT: Not to beat a dead horse or anything!

Thanks for the article, and for the reviews lately, Vincent! ;)
« Last Edit: 02 June 2014, 12:02:24 AM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2014, 08:09:23 AM »
Btw, Vincent, a in quite an elaborate (and interesting) comment by "the_big_boss" below your article the poster mentions that according to you the KURO's mll still beats the ZT60's..? I How come ??? I thought they were on par, with the ZT60 winning by a really, really thin hair if there was any difference at all?
EDIT: Not to beat a dead horse or anything!
There was a small batch of KRP displays released that incorporate a "next-gen" Pioneer technology, called 10g instead of 9g.
They have incredible MLL as low as ~0,001 cd/m2, which is even hard to get measured. One could say they hold the edge in contrast above ZT60, because they were built to a different power-consumption specs with higher brightness.
Still, there are very few of them exists. Some enthusiasts hunted for them, and overall batch was like 600 units with a certain date of manufacture, if I remember correctly.
However, there were considerably more Panasonic VT/ZT60 units built, and they are quite consistent with MLL performance without "special" samples, AFAIK.
So it's not very fair to compare a special batch to a mass-produced displays.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2014, 08:53:37 AM »
Vincent, is the AX802 really that much better based on your tests and the shootout?

In terms of pure 2D PQ, the Panasonic AX802 just shaded it (we're talking a very small advantage here): no RC-enforced noise reduction, slightly deeper blacks from pseudo-local dimming, and better low-level saturation. The Sony has smoother gradation (i.e. less posterization) in low-tone areas.

We didn't go indepth with 3D at the event: it's going to be impossible to hand out active-shutter glasses to 30-odd people and then sync them with each TV! If we had done so maybe the Sony would have gotten more votes.

As a package, the Sony has Netflix 4K and undoubtedly superior sound (although a few voters might have been put off by the extra width caused by the side speakers... I cannot be sure but some have commented).

Both are excellent TVs, as are all other sets in the comparison event. It's only when you put them side-by-side in a dark room with the purpose of choosing the best that the differences are magnified. There's no perfect TV... it depends on your own requirements and tolerances. :)

Misha (FoxHounder) is right - I was alluding to the special batch of Kuro 9.5G. I've written briefly about it in a previous article:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Thanks for the event! :clap: It was a useful read, and also elaborate comment by the_big_boss is great.
The results didn't come to me as a surprise, though. Performance won over gimmicks, it's quite logical.
It's always interesting to see average user's side of view in relation with measured performance.
As they say, "best is the enemy of the good".
« Last Edit: 02 June 2014, 09:45:22 AM by FoxHounder »
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 June 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
@Vincent and FoxHounder: Ah, I see. I thought that was probably it, but they way he wrote it made it seem as if he's referring to the entire last generation of the KURO's.

(Haha, convenient how he just happens to mention that his KURO is probably one of the special ones :lol: Lucky, lucky :))
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline arenaman

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply Vincent, I know posterization has  annoyed me greatly in the past so I've probably chosen correctly for my preferences.
65" VT65, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455,DA E670 SKY HD+. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp Harmony One.

Offline Mike G

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 June 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
Regarding the mll comparison between the ZT65 and the Pioneer Kuro.  The ZT65 was compared to HDTVTest's measurements of an LX5090, if I remember correctly.

The KRP's will go a bit darker still than the LX's.  A true comparison would be to take a ZT65 (Panny's finest) vs a KRP (Pioneer's finest).

As I understood it, the fabled Pioneer 10g tech was only in some of the 500m's and not the 500a's. 

The show did re-inforce to me that OLED would be my next TV purchase - please, please , please can someone make a bigger one!  :clap:

Offline vism

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 8
  • -Received: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 June 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
65 and 77 Inch LG OLEDs coming over the next few Months. Unfortunately, they'll be bent into a stupid shape.

The flat ones should follow though.

Offline arenaman

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 June 2014, 11:22:47 PM »
65 and 77 Inch LG OLEDs coming over the next few Months. Unfortunately, they'll be bent into a stupid shape.

The flat ones should follow though.

I bet they'll be about 7k and 10k, maybe more

Offline Mike G

• [Standard] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
I'd heard that we may not see the LG OLED's in this country at that size.  :'(

Hope I'm wrong. 

In fact, my worry is that LG pull the OLED plug altogether, like Samsung seem to have.  The Samsung OLED has disapeared from my local John Lewis and it is the curved LED's doing the rounds now.