Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
Sony X9005B
« on: 14 September 2014, 10:11:07 AM »

Hey, I helped my friend set up his new Sony 55" X9005B a couple of nights ago... What a great TV!
It Vincent said in his review, that the end result is better than the sum of it's parts.

I set up his [Cinema 1] and [Cinema 2] modes, turning of all of the unwanted "enhancers" and set up [Backlight] for acceptable mll vs needed light output, with gamma left at "-2" and set to "-1", respectively. (He rarely has loads of ambient lighting when viewing.) The review said to leave [Mastered in 4k] on, and Vincent also mentioned liking the [Smooth Gradation] option, too. When it came to [Motion Flow] I had a hard time choosing one of the settings (or turning it off), though for the [Cinema 1] viewing mode we decided "Impulse" was good, although the light output was quite low, as he'll only be using that mode in the dark.

The end result was surprisingly good. We had a quick look at "House of Cards" in 4k on Netflix, and it looked really good (although we couldn't say we thought the stream looked better than a normal BD). Then we tested out a few scenes from "The Dark Knight", since I think we've all seen that on more than one telly :lol: Generally speaking, the overall picture quality was great. LCD-wise it was incredibly good, and probably the best I've seen from one (Haven't tested AX802 / HU8505 in a dark room, though), and I cannot imagine LCD getting much better than this without some pretty advanced FALD systems. It really did handle both bright, dark and mixed scenes from TDK well. (We checked out both [Cinema 1] and [Cinema 2] modes, though mostly [Cinema 1] with the lights off! Viewing distance was about 2.5-3 m, I think.)
I sometimes wondered if "Impulse" mode made the image a taaaad to dark, but he didn't think so, and it was probably just my eyes not being properly adjusted after all the test patterns and menu-sifting so we left it on since it really gave motion resolution a boost... And I for one can't stand LCD-blurring! :P

I don't know what else to say about the viewing experience except that Vincent's phrase from his review kept going through my head: "What devilry is this?" Don't get me wrong; plasma has some clear advantages, and I would always pick that for my use, but the X9005B is a cracking set! My friend uses his TV for movies and TV, but also a lot for gaming (mainly fighting games) and PC so, because he really didn't want to worry about IR, he wanted 4k and those great speakers, LEDLCD was the obvious choice. And I don't think he went wrong with the X9005B! :clap: I won't say anything about the speakers other than they will blow your socks off. They cannot compete with a good dedicated audio setup, but I don't think any other TV could hope to compete with these at the moment. I could feel the bass in the couch! From a TV! :o And with the design of the TV itself looking absolutely stunning, and the menus being quite zippy, on top of the great PQ and even AQ... What a superb total package!

I have question for Vincent, though: What setting did you choose for [Smooth Gradation], "Max/Mid/Min"?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2014, 09:40:35 PM by SETEM »
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: Sony X9005B
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Glad you like the picture on the Sony X9005B. :lol:

I went with the "Min" setting for [Smooth Gradation]. "Mid" and "Max" have higher tendencies to clip near-black and blur fine detail.

Warmest regards
Vincent

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
Thanks, Vincent, I was actually over at my friend's place today, and I set it to "Min" per your recommendation ;)

Also, I read a review of the X9005B from flatpanelshd.com and noticed that they mentioned something about a light sensor being enabled by default, and it got me thinking about when I thought the light output when using "Impulse" seemed a little low... Well, my eyes were right, apparently. We had forgotten to turn off the "Light Sensor" option within the "Eco" menu, which will obviously make images darker in a darkened room! After disabling this mostly-stupid setting, the panel had a lot more light output available, meaning that we could now use the [Motion Flow] "Impulse" mode in both [Cinema 1] and [Cinema 2] modes - which yielded great motion resolution at all times of the day :clap: (Home menu-->settings-->system settings-->Eco-->Light Sensor:"OFF" for anyone in need ;))
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
X9005B is probably my favourite current-crop LCD TV at the moment. I tested 58" Panasonic AX800, it wasn't that good as 65" version. Sony is definitely comparable in PQ and sells 55-65" cheaper.
I don't think they'll be able to improve the technology much, though. If Sony TV division survives the market, anyway. :huh:
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1