• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 95
  • -Received: 30
    • View Profile
picture quality
« on: 11 October 2014, 10:43:09 PM »

watching a film tonight on my krp,and the picture quality still looks superb

this tv is nearly 5 plus years old, and still makes visitors go wow that looks great

the question is, was do i start looking for a new set yet oled, 4k whatever else is the latest thing, i think the

answer is no for now, and keep the set that has never had one problem, still immaculate, and still makes

me smile, after watching other peoples tvs  ;D

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: picture quality
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
If I had a working last-gen Pioneer set, I'd keep it for as long as I could just because it's an item of historical value. :nod:
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
sure out do that vt, thats for sure :lol:

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
I don't see why you'd want to get rid of a perfectly fine KRP-500(_), shagger? :P

Oooh, shots fired, shots fired! :rofl: I am pretty sure I'd call it a draw, personally, unless the KRP-500 is leaps and bounds ahead of the LX5090... Apart from the (non-tweaked) mll (often) being a little better! Super happy with my VT60, even coming from an LX5090 :nod:
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
I am pretty sure I'd call it a draw, personally, unless the KRP-500 is leaps and bounds ahead of the LX5090...
They say, some batches are. I don't know if it's "leaps and bounds", but there is some difference.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
I am pretty sure I'd call it a draw, personally, unless the KRP-500 is leaps and bounds ahead of the LX5090...
They say, some batches are. I don't know if it's "leaps and bounds", but there is some difference.
it was said in longevity terms, :bash: not performance, but would be interested to hear, from david

about his and dnices view on how this dated old set still stacks up

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
it was said in longevity terms, :bash: not performance, but would be interested to hear, from david

What you mean, Shagger? The KRP has better longevity than the LX..? There are supposed to be other differences, too, according to owners :chin: Like some say the KRP exhibits less PWM noise, some have better mll (to a varying degree?), some say it's more prone to IR than the LX, and I seem to remember that the KRP can be calibrated to have slightly more accurate colours?

What I'd like to know, though, is what about the high frequency roll-off? The LX5090 doesn't reproduce super-fine details - we're talking an almost invisible loss of detail, though. Sitting as close as ~1.8 m, I somehow kept feeling that the picture was somehow lacking some sharpness, although I could not find out what it was, until I pulled up a few high-frequency test patterns. If I wanted that super crisp feeling, I had to opt for [Enhancer Mode] "1", which actually added some artificial sharpness and thus could feel a little over-sharpened (although it probably didn't actually retain the original source details before adding the sharpness, from what I guessed). This whole thing was mostly noticeable when playing games that were 1080p, but also during certain BD movies. I do have ~20/20 vision and I was sitting very close, and it was still never a deal-breaker. Another thing, however, was that the LX5090 would make certain perfectly straight, horizontal lines appear as slightly "zig-zag-y"/"zipper-like"/"dotted" (--------------) when they should have been "perfectly razor-sharp-straight" (_____________). This was also sooooo subtle, that it took me a while to figure out what the hell it was. It only happened when colour of the line and it's background were very similar and I think light (beige/light blue/grey etc.). I found out what it was during "Oblivion" :P Switching to [Power Save Mode] "2" (the most power-saving while the screen is still on) fixed the issue for horizontal lines, however it would now appear to a milder extent on vertical lines instead!

I'm not sure if this stuff regarding these lines is related only to that particular set, or if it's a common thing with the LX5090. However, regarding the loss of high-frequency detail, David told me that this was a common trait of the LX5090. Having seen it with my own eyes, I do find it a little strange that I've never heard mention of it other than when I asked David. I'd still like to know if any KRP's had anything like these two things mentioned, but I'm guessing that a lot of owners would never have noticed. (My friends never noticed it from 1.8 m - and I even pointed it out to some of them!)

When you look at the big picture, though, (pun intended) these were just minor annoyances, and no TV before had "taken my breath away" quite like the LX-5090 did. I had "seen 'em all", but never a KURO. The first time I fired it up, I remember it was standing next to my old 50" G30 (which was displaying a blank screen), and I was so shocked that I just laughed when the mll all of a sudden dropped/settled down after the initial "startup-mll"! :o ;D :lol: It would have still been my main TV today, had it not been for Panasonic exiting the PDP business :lol:
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2014, 09:24:16 PM »
no longevity compared to the vt :(

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Oh, that's what you meant? :lol:
Well, get a cheap ST/GT/VT60 and keep it in reserve :P Then, if OLED becomes a viable alternative in time for you KRP's final sub-field flash, you can sell it with minimal loss..?

I wouldn't bother if I were you, though, since I don't think it's going to be long until OLED completely surpasses even the world's most tweaked KURO. Also, if you are one of the lucky ones who has a KRP with an exceptionally low mll, paying for anything other than such an OLED would be be paying for a step backwards, contrast-wise...

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
Oh, that's what you meant? :lol:
Well, get a cheap ST/GT/VT60 and keep it in reserve :P Then, if OLED becomes a viable alternative in time for you KRP's final sub-field flash, you can sell it with minimal loss..?

I wouldn't bother if I were you, though, since I don't think it's going to be long until OLED completely surpasses even the world's most tweaked KURO. Also, if you are one of the lucky ones who has a KRP with an exceptionally low mll, paying for anything other than such an OLED would be be paying for a step backwards, contrast-wise...
I'm going to sit tight for now, must admit i don't really check what is out there at the moment

but oled hopefully will be my next purchase....david can you borrow dnices so say software and lower themll on this tv :o

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2014, 03:44:06 AM »

[/quote]
I would certainly be happy buying one of those, or any of the recent Panasonics.

I guess your blacks haven't started turning red, right?
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2014, 05:22:53 AM »

I would certainly be happy buying one of those, or any of the recent Panasonics.

I guess your blacks haven't started turning red, right?
[/quote] no problem with with blacks at all yet, set was calibrated about a year ago blacks still look fine to me

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
and still I'm being told to keep hold of this 7 year old set :o

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
Do you want rid of it? If you don't mind shipping it a few thousand miles  :lol:
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline shagger

• [Movie] Mode
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
think i will keep hold until you recommend a replacement ;D

but your more than welcome to come and do a calibration tune up :rofl: