Offline butterflies

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Samsung, sony....
« on: 12 November 2014, 07:11:35 PM »

I am looking for a 50-55 inch hdtv. Trying to find a tree in the samsung forest of the 6 series. Comparing those with the sony KDL7 and 8 series.
I have a family with two adolescent kids, crazy about internet and youtube etc. So the TV should have some smart facilities. I guess that watching youtube video's will be the main thing for them. I, myself, don't care about internet on a TV. I don't need 3D, nor ULTRAHD.

From what I have been reading and watching I think that the sony' s have better picture quality and the samsungs have better smart facilities. And the sony's look better designed.

What I would like to ask here is how bad really are the smart options on the sony's. And how much better is the PQ of the sony's?

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung, sony....
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Hi

The Sony's Smart TV functionality is not bad, but accessing and navigating various content is fairly sluggish compared to the Samsung's.

Picture quality-wise, there's not much in it after calibration. Out of the box though, the Sony has the slight edge.

Warmest regards
Vincent

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline butterflies

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung, sony....
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2014, 07:42:32 PM »
Many thanks for the info.
In your tests you do not really look at the speed of the processor for smart facilities.
Could you say something about the speed on the Sony KDLw829b and the w7 series? A comparison of the w7 and w8 series.
Thanks,
Rob