Offline foundationsmcr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
50" for Movies, Sport & Games?
« on: 26 November 2014, 09:51:04 PM »

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice.  I'm searching for a 50-55" Full HD TV to use in a small family room.  I'm not fussed for 3D tech, nor the apps and frills.  What I'm most interested in is a superbly sharp image, really good black detail.  I'll mostly use it to watch films (action) and sports, with some moderate gaming on an Xbox/PS4.  Most TV content will be via Sky HD.  I may also stream some films if there are apps installed, although not essential.  I'd even sacrifice good sound as I'm happy pairing it with a soundbar or separate system.  I'm also not worried about aesthetics, I just want as good a picture as my money can buy even if it means getting someone to calibrate the TV after purchase.

I've read a wealth of info on plasmas, LCD/LED, OLED and I'm beginning to get lost in the detail to be honest.  I could just do with some tailored advice if that makes sense?

My budget is circa £1200 although I could persuade the wife to spend more if the tech justifies it.

Can anyone guide me on what they feel would suit my requirements best?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
Re: 50" for Movies, Sport & Games?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2014, 10:13:19 PM »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Based on your requirements, I'd probably get the Sony KDL-55W829, and you'll even have spare change for calibration. :lol: Here's my review of the 50-inch version:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl50w829b-201403023650.htm

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline foundationsmcr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
Hi Vincent, thanks for the response. 

I’m pleasantly surprised by the price, but for some inexplicable reason I’ve never been “switched on” to Sony TVs.  I think I looked at one of these the other day in Curry's and the detail in the images seemed a little lost in motion.  Is that to be expected?  Am I being unrealistic for my price range or do you think it could be more to do with the content I was being shown off a USB?

What is it about the Sony that you feel best meets my requirements if you don’t mind me asking?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
What is it about the Sony that you feel best meets my requirements if you don’t mind me asking?
You wanted good picture quality - Sony delievers it with pretty good settings out-of-the-box, which provide rich picture with accurate color reproduction. The picture is rather "filmic", which is a nice touch for an LCD, if you ask me. Not many LCD TVs do these things properly.
Second, you care about gaming, and Sony are really good here. They're very responsive, which leads to the more precise controls and immersion. It's very noticeable in racing, shooting and fighting games, where fast reflexes are necessary.
So, combine that with decent price, and here you have it recommended by someone. ;D
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

These member(s) thanked your post:

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
Hi Vincent, thanks for the response. 

I’m pleasantly surprised by the price, but for some inexplicable reason I’ve never been “switched on” to Sony TVs.  I think I looked at one of these the other day in Curry's and the detail in the images seemed a little lost in motion.  Is that to be expected?  Am I being unrealistic for my price range or do you think it could be more to do with the content I was being shown off a USB?

I would go with Samsung H7000/H7150 (my preference for it is because of excellent sd to hd scaling, Screen uniformity and Samsung own hardware ) :

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h7150 (true 240Hz / 200 Hz done internally)
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue46h7000-201407153854.htm

Or go with next year models and get Quantum Dot film and maybe true 120Hz panels.

Maybe next year Sony will teach Samsung a hard lesson. Why hurry. CES 2015 is just around the corner.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2014, 06:40:09 PM by Xerox »

Offline foundationsmcr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
Thanks again for the responses. The gaming aspect uses only a small part of the intended use for this TV. I'd say 90% of the tine it will be used for films. I can't really wait till next year. Any other outstanding display recommendations?  I guess it's hard to know what a person is looking for but I really appreciate your help guys.

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks again for the responses. The gaming aspect uses only a small part of the intended use for this TV. I'd say 90% of the tine it will be used for films. I can't really wait till next year. Any other outstanding display recommendations?  I guess it's hard to know what a person is looking for but I really appreciate your help guys.

If you can't wait you will be disappointed.

You live in EU or America ?

Offline foundationsmcr

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2014, 01:38:48 PM »
I live in UK. What makes you say that if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
I live in UK. What makes you say that if you don't mind me asking?

If you can't wait you will buy a TV that will not be compatible with the new color space standard (and there is extreme difference between them). It may very well be another 25 years before this new standard will be improved again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709

Buy a TV with true 10 bit panel and quantum dot film maybe even FALD next year and enjoy your future proof purchase.

I will do the same so i recommend to others what i think is best for me too.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2014, 11:35:19 PM by Xerox »