Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
Tizen OS
« on: 02 January 2015, 10:40:02 AM »

Will they update Tizen OS every year or will they abandon it just so you buy a new TV each year ?

It's OK to offer improved hardware every year like Evolution Kit with snapdragon 810 but the software itself should be freely available to update all compatible models and make sure that it is compatible to as many as possible models first.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
Re: Tizen OS
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the Smart TV features have been upgradable for the last few years with the Evolution Kit, so the same should be true this time for the Smart TV component. I'd need to confirm with Samsung though.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
Re: Tizen OS
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the Smart TV features have been upgradable for the last few years with the Evolution Kit, so the same should be true this time for the Smart TV component. I'd need to confirm with Samsung though.

See if you can get any new info on these new 2015 Samsung models regarding if you will be allowed to update your Tizen OS in 2016+ without a new evolution kit.

And if the calibration controls / settings are separate so you will be able at least to manually update the OS of the TVs from now on.