• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
What Panasonic taught us about "Ultra HD Blu-ray"
« on: 10 January 2015, 04:17:43 PM »

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1420884813

If I'm not mistaken, TV makers curently use 8-bit panels in most of or even all TVs, including those with 4K support. Hence, three questions:

1. Is it possible that after Ultra HD Blu-ray is officially introduced we'll see manufacturers installing 10-bit panels into their products? I mean, they obviously need to, as current TVs do not support the full range of features the new standard is going to offer.

2. Is it better to wait untill the new Blu-ray standard is released and then buy a TV, which supports all or almost all the needed features? Hopefully, manufacturers will release such products in 2016. Right now, I don't see the point of buying a 4K TV with the limited functionality. The support of BT.2020 and other features will probably be the biggest marketing thing on CES 2016.

3. I watch Blu-ray movies from my PC connected to the TV via a receiver. But the existing consumer videocards do not support 10-bit colour ouput. Do you think Nvidia, AMD and Intel will add the support of 10-bit colour output in their future products? Otherwise, I don't see how I can use all the benefits of the new standard.

Thanks in advance.

Offline yurieu

• [Dynamic] Mode
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 2
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Panasonic taught us about "Ultra HD Blu-ray"
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2015, 09:28:49 PM »

3. I watch Blu-ray movies from my PC connected to the TV via a receiver. But the existing consumer videocards do not support 10-bit colour ouput. Do you think Nvidia, AMD and Intel will add the support of 10-bit colour output in their future products? Otherwise, I don't see how I can use all the benefits of the new standard.

Yes they can!!! I can switch between 8, 10 and 12 bit(but my display only supports 8) and many ppl are playing with 10bit 4:4:4 RGB.

Offline David Mackenzie

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 908
  • -Received: 2043
    • View Profile
    • Personal web site
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2015, 01:14:47 AM »
1. Yes. For one, Samsung's SUHD lineup this year uses 10 bit panels.
2. Hard to say. Products are always improving. I would get a TV that supports the new HDCP standard of course.
3. I'm sure they will, if they don't already. Ask them.
HDTVTest.co.uk Reviewer & US Correspondent
--
Please don't send me the same question through multiple methods (email/forum/PM) since I can't respond 3 separate times. Please post on the forums or use private messages for messages that need privacy. Thanks!

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/UHD4k/status/557006441278877696

P.S. Not so "confidential", after all...
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1