• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
New Sony KDL42W705B vs existing Samsung LE40A656
« on: 29 January 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a Sony KDL42W705B due to its very low input lag and generally positive reviews. My current screen is a Samsung LE40A656 which cost more than double the price of the Sony when it was purchased about seven years ago. The Samsung does have a fantastic picture IMO and being a S-PVA panel the pixel response time is very good. Ignoring the input lag issue for the moment if I were to get the Sony would I find myself regretting it due to lower motion resolution, viewing angle and PQ?

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 704
  • -Received: 985
    • View Profile
Re: New Sony KDL42W705B vs existing Samsung LE40A656
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
I'd say, the main regret may be that they'll look pretty similar in the end.
To be honest, LCD TVs didn't do much progress since the likes of Samsung A6 series.
It's a great TV with CCFL backlight, which is more uniform and less problematic than Edge-LED.

Actually, I know a guy who did switch from A6 to W705B not long ago. He was slightly dissapointed that he didn't feel much difference between the two, so his general expectations weren't met.

Sony will feel slightly more responsive in games, though.
I don't know if it's that worth to upgrade in your personal taste. Do you often play games? :chin:
Just don't expect huge leaps in PQ, the difference is really not that big as the years between them.
Video: Panasonic TX-PR55VT60 + Pioneer BDP-140
Audio: Onkyo TX-NR626 + Boston Acoustics CS260 II 5.1

Offline Corum UK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
Yeah I do play a lot of PC games, RPG's, FPS' etc and have done all the time i've had the TV. Only really started worrying about input lag again recently when I was browsing around at the current crop of sets. Am playing Far Cry 4 at the moment which has some amazing scenery but once 'game' mode is activated on the Samsung it just ruins the picture in terms of colour palette and realism so I don't use it. Another tip was to rename HDMI2 to 'PC' which i've done but I don't really see that its made any difference to the input lag.

If all else is equal between the two sets though maybe i'll stick with the Samsung for a while longer, most of the time the lag isn't so noticeable however I did have to completely abandon playing Shadow of Mordor recently due to my responses being too slow but i'm wondering now if that's not partly due to the input lag. The Samsung also still looks great for HD movies streamed from the PC. I don't have a light meter or anything but use blue screen mode and some free calibration tools (from AVS forum) to tweak the basic settings to good effect and I never notice any of the smearing that LCD is infamous for.

Anyway's thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
One thing for sure: Sony is probably better at Game mode, because it has no compromises in PQ.
The picture is almost as accurate as in Cinema mode, except for lighter gamma (circa 2.2), which is quite good for games anyway.
Enabling Game mode is quite tricky on Samsung, since you're usually left with blue-tinged grayscale and less PQ options. I found it harder to tune a decent PQ on Samsung using the lowest lag PC/Game mode.
It's a matter of few clicks on Sony, and it detects proper RGB levels etc. automatically, no hassle involved. That may be handy if you're really into gaming.

Hell, it even enables Game mode automatically, when PS4 is connected. Can't be easier than that. :lol:

Offline Vincent

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 222
  • -Received: 370
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2015, 09:55:45 PM »
^^ Yeah, Sony makes the best gaming TV, period.

Warmest regards
Vincent

Offline Corum UK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
Ok so, on the plus side, the Sony would allow me to use gaming mode with its improved input lag whilst retaining the ability to calibrate many of the settings.

But, is there anything that the Samsung does better than the Sony, given that it cost a grand at the time.

For instance, would motion resolution, black levels and general 'pop' be at least equal or better on the Sony or would any of these aspects be a step backwards? Whilst reading around lately I've seen figures of 4 to 8ms for the Samsung's pixel response time which even today is pretty fast..

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
But, is there anything that the Samsung does better than the Sony, given that it cost a grand at the time.
It's not relevant now. The price difference is explained only by differen market situation now and several years ago.
In fact, they're pretty close in hierarchy. Samsung would be priced closely if it was released today, like their UE40H6400 does.

For instance, would motion resolution, black levels and general 'pop' be at least equal or better on the Sony or would any of these aspects be a step backwards? Whilst reading around lately I've seen figures of 4 to 8ms for the Samsung's pixel response time which even today is pretty fast..
Motion resolution is better on Samsung only if MotionPlus is enabled, but it usually adds too much lag.
The baseline motion performance of all LCDs is pretty much the same.
Stated pixel resonse time is pure marketing, it has little to do with real world anyway. Just like "Hz" nowadays gone through the roof.
Sony won't be a step backwards nor significant improvement in PQ. It's main advantage is minimal input-lag and gaming versatility, the rest is very similar to Samsung.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2015, 12:08:46 PM by FoxHounder »

Offline Xerox

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 50
  • -Received: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
Buy a 2015 model !

Offline Corum UK

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Popped into Richer Sounds today to have a look at the 705b and had a play with the remote for a while.

Overall impression was that the picture looked fairly good in cinema 1 mode (showing the mandatory animated movie), although I wouldn't say it was noticeably better or worse than the Samsung. Didn't notice any ghosting due to pixel lag which was one of my main concerns. Not as bright as I would have imagined given that its an LED, even cranked up to 10, when compared with some of the other sets. Still it was in the store so not really a viewing environment.

The black frame insertion feature seemed, as indicated in the review, pretty useless, the picture dimmed considerably as soon as it was activated. How this feature can be used as a selling point beats me.

Gaming mode looked pretty good, in fact there are two, standard and original or something like that. Most of the picture settings were available whilst in that mode so that's a big plus.

So i'm still undecided at this point but think the Sony is good value given it's current price tag.

Offline FoxHounder

• Global Moderator
  • Calibrated
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
Not as bright as I would have imagined given that its an LED, even cranked up to 10, when compared with some of the other sets.
They usually have ambient light sensor on by default ("Eco mode", stuff like that).
It limits brightness from what the TV is actually capable of. Once the sensor is disabled, comfortable brightness will be at 3-4 clicks out of 10 in "Backlight".

These member(s) thanked your post: