Offline b33k34

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 0
  • -Received: 0
    • View Profile
Panasonic TX-P50GT60B - aspect ratio problems
« on: 01 February 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

I've had my set just under a year but have only just noticed this as a possible problem (I can't think when I last watched any 4:3 content)

Previously I had a Pioneer 4280.  I can't remember whether I left the aspect ratio on 4:3 or auto but it would correctly display 4:3 and 16:9 content without needing any manual intervention.

We've just started rewatching The Wire (which of course is all 4:3).  The first season was watched as ondemand from a Sky+ box, now watching season 2 via my Sony BluRay player.  With either source I have to manually switch to 4:3 on the Panasonic and having done so to manually switch back to 16:9 for other content. Auto stretches the 4:3 picture to fit the frame.

What are the recommended settings?  Surely theres one that's 'display correctly'!

Offline SETEM

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 1256
  • -Received: 413
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic TX-P50GT60B - aspect ratio problems
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
I'm not sure, but there should be an option on your player to either a) stretch 4:3 content to fill 16:9, or b) display 4:3 content in 4:3 aspect but with black borders on the sides.

In case b), I think you could just leave your GT60's [Aspect] set to "16:9" though you'll get black borders on the sides.

It sounds like your player is doing a), since when you set your TV's [Aspect] to "16:9" it fill the screen. The advantage of this, however, is that when setting the TV's [Aspect] to "4:3" (you are telling it that this is 4:3 content, so) you now have some options of how the sidebars should be filled. You can choose between three different brightness levels of grey, or simply black. Filling them in with grey, you ensure that pixel wear is evened out more across the screen (handy if watching a lot of 4:3), as opposed to leaving them black, in which case those pixels won't be used. I think the manual recommends the "High" setting but, personally, I just use "Mid".

If you wanted your TV automatically switch [Aspect] to "4:3", I'd imagine that you would have it set to "Auto", but the TV would also need a way of recognising that what it was being fed was actually 4:3 stuff... I'm guessing that the recognition would either be done due to the constant black borders in a 16:9 signal, or if the signal could actually be sent as a "4:3 signal" (or marked as such) ???

Hope some of this info helps - personally, I'd take the manual option since you can even out pixel wear more, instead of leaving the sidebars black - although I don't see a way out of it if you can't change the settings in you player :no: However, I could be wrong on one or several points above, so maybe someone else will drop by with a comment :)
Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y, PS4, PS3, X360, Wii, Pioneer VSX-421, Sony SS-FCR4000 5.0, Yamaha YST-FSW100.
(Panasonic TX-P50G30Y, Pioneer PDP-LX5090, Panasonic TX-P42ST60Y)

Offline b33k34

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2015, 07:46:40 PM »
There is (normally) signally of the correct aspect ratio.  As I said, the Pioneer used to correctly detect this and switch.  The panasonic doesn't - whether it is set to auto or to 4:3

I want to know if this is:
- a problem with the model (it's sensing doesn't work)
or a problem with my other devices.  however, the other devices haven't changed since I had the Pioneer.

Offline Adlermann

• Calibrated
  • Thank You
  • -Gave: 48
  • -Received: 134
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
There is (normally) signally of the correct aspect ratio.  As I said, the Pioneer used to correctly detect this and switch.  The panasonic doesn't - whether it is set to auto or to 4:3

I want to know if this is:
- a problem with the model (it's sensing doesn't work)
or a problem with my other devices.  however, the other devices haven't changed since I had the Pioneer.
The display displays 4:3 correctly automatically if your player is set correctly.

It's a problem with your other devices.
panasonic tx-p55vt60 | Panasonic DBT 360 | Mac Mini 2011 base model | Denon 1911 AVR | Wharfedale diamond 10.5, CM, 10.1 | Playstation 4 | Super Nintentdo Entertainment System | Beer

Offline b33k34

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
I'll try changing them - as I say, the previous settings worked on my Pioneer.   Requires digging out the original remote controls (normally I just use my Harmony)

Offline b33k34

• Out Of The Box
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
I don't think it can be the Blu Ray player settings - you just set the type of set you have (ie 16:9).  It's up to the set to display what it receives properly and not distort a 4:3 frame to fill the screen.